The Newest Addition To The Garage

Home Forums Members’ bikes The Newest Addition To The Garage

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 185 total)
  • Author
    slim
    Participant

Hi, someone got the wrong idea on what i posted previously, i dont like jacked up back ends on my bikes as i do lots of miles & need to stay comfortable, its the length & width i was posting about [:D]

This is the way i set up my own stuff,imagine a line running from the top of the tank towards the rear horizontal to the ground & the rear tip of the seat unit should not go above that, most stock bike are like this if you look

Making a set of ajustable dogbones allows you to alter the ride height at will [:D]

cheers slim

BigBen
    Participant

it wasnt me, i was just commenting about my own preference. nothing i have said was at all a dig at you or anybody. the difference between the two of us is you have built many things and made it work, ive built nothing so far so im not in a position to comment really..and upon taking and looking over this picture it turns out that what im building looks sh*te.
    everything seems to look better close up, but as soon as you stand back it just looks naff and makes you wonder why you bother.

15836_201234199219_501369219_326993.jpg

TT07
    Participant

Hey Ben, I thought the whole idea of your project was to take a standard bike and modify it to give it a different appearance and that is what you are IN THE PROCESS of doing. As you just said this is your first attempt, so any advise is just that as there are NO RULES, your constructing what YOU want. Surely it will only be when its completed and you standback and look at its overall appearence that you yourself will know if its a success. To me there is nothing sh*te about it, keep going mate!!!

Champs
    Participant

+1, I would keep going, once it gets filled with wheels, motor and front end it won’t look as empty.
    Stick a wheel on the swingarm and take another photo, that will give you an idea on how the back end will sit once its finished.

katana
    Participant

Ben

I like the Yam back end on the bandit.

ban00_1.jpg

Reckon you might have to beef up the bike stand a bit though if you want to use it with the engine in.

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Keep going Ben, that looks good to me. As Champs said, it’s hard to picture without the wheels but Kat’s picture of the Bandit is spot on, it looks really nice. Those chrome air filters lift the engine area detail too, I can imagine those against your black lump.

Just in case anyone didn’t know, you can click on any photo on here and it should go to its original size, useful in the shot above.

BigBen
    Participant

thanks for the positive words guys..its appreciated.
    youre all right.. i shouldnt argue.

Kat – did you by any chance get that photo from f1moto.co.uk? not a bad site that. they have some good stuff on there but its all a bit dear.. thats deffinitely one of their bikes.
    and also while i was not sure what you were talking about mentioning the bike stand you gave me a good idea so ill thank you for that..i get what you meant now :D that stool was my dads and it was passed down to me :P itll never break, it was made in the olden days when hings were made properly. haha

slim
    Participant

Hey ben
    no offence taken mate, you are building it to your tastes & doing a pretty fine job from what i can see so far, the seat unit looks good in profile, very slim & should leave a nice big gap between wheel & the underside of the seat which is a look i like

As others have said once its sitting on its wheels the look will change a fair bit & then you will be able to see what you’ve got so dont give up yet

I still think the length of the seat unit will be an issue for you as it will sick out a fair way behind the back wheel, again just my opinion & its not my bike so no offence taken if you disagree [:D]

BigBen
    Participant

cheers. as it goes the riders seat is an inch and a half to two inches clear of the tank so the subframeis going to get shortened, just by a bit so itll all fit, i think after that itll look a lot better. i do see your point now though, i spent about 20 minutes just looking at the picture and thinking (i have nothing beter to do) and it is a tad long. so next on the list is to shorten it.
    ive still not paid for those forks i won on ebay due to people not paying me….its peeing me off now!

Radar

Keep the updates coming Ben!

BigBen
    Participant

are you all ready for a technical drawing i did? i bet you will be forming a queue after this post waiting for me to do drawings for you.
    basically i might have to go back over what i said about raising the seat unit…i dont want to cut down the subframe because its just messing about really…so the theory is, i need to make up about an inch to get theseat to touch, so get the lugs on the frame for the top holes of the subframe, raise the subframe til it touches(which shouldnt be alot) and then job done.
    i wanted to try and keep the top of the seat unit the same level as the top of the tank….but no higher!

seatlevel.jpg

BigBen
    Participant

too high now, am failing miserably..although ive half made the lugs for the subframe

modseat.jpg

you may notice this is a very high tech way to get things right, im bringing bike building into the 21st century :P

BigBen
    Participant

UPDATE- the lugs i had made were naff so i hoiked them, made some more this morning, and they were pretty good but then someone gave me a lump of real steel so i started over again.
    had a full session in the garage tonight, MD brought his welder over and it turns out at least 2 years of not welding anything hasnt done a thing to me :P ive still got!
    so after a couple of hours of the two biggest brains in bikes having a natter we have come up with a simple solution to attaching the subframe…this way theres no compromise in strength and it is all hidden on the inside of the frame….yes all hidden. should be done by the end of the week

Radar

Good to see you making progress again!

imperialdata
    Keymaster

quote:

Originally posted by benji_zx10r

….we have come up with a simple solution to attaching the subframe…this way theres no comprimise in strength and it is all hidden on the inside of the frame…..

Those cable ties are excellent aren’t they?[:D][:D]

Nice to see you doing it as you want, it’ll look better in the end. One question – what’s the datum for the frame? Is it the lower tubes set horizontally? Hope you see what I mean here, because the lower tubes could be at a different angle when the bike is sitting on the shocks, raising or dropping the rear end.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 185 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.