A slow moving project GSX-R

Home Forums Jap stuff A slow moving project GSX-R

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    Radar

Blimey are you sure people are going to spot those decals on the van? They are a bit subtle!
    Not long to the first taste of track tarmac in 2008! Hope the snow has stopped by then though!

HippoDrones
    Participant

yeah me too! LOL

Well I now have the 7’s for me number bords, I tinted the windows on the van but that is done so badely I am embarassed to post pics till I have got them sorted properly LOL

I am really excited bout getting to Donny, but can not believe this weather! Will be fun whatever but OMG will it please stop raining! LOL

n641451819_723986_9133.jpg
    n641451819_723987_9551.jpg
    The Daisey in the last phot is a tribute to a friends bike that is now in the scrapyard in the sky as thats what her k4 GSX-R 750 was called!

HippoDrones
    Participant

Well have started getting all me bits loaded up for Donny, Arrrrrggggghhhhhh….. hope the weather sorts itself out as camping in the van Thursday night (Brrrrr) and then playin on track on Friday, PLEASE no snow/rain/hail/sleet!!!! LOL

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Well it’s Friday and it’s raining here. Thinking of ya Pete (as I sip my 3rd hot coffee)!

HippoDrones
    Participant

Am home, worn out and about to drop but what a day! I really am too tired to post more so phots etc will have to wait till tomorrow.

but all in 1 piece still ;)

imperialdata
    Keymaster

quote:

Originally posted by Pete247

That’s always a bonus Pete!

HippoDrones
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by imperialdata

quote:

Originally posted by Pete247

That’s always a bonus Pete!

Hahahaha, yeah, thought I would emphasis that tho given my “track” record! *lol*

Well what a fantastic couple of days that was!

Got my things loaded into the van on Wednesday morning and then went over to my mate Rhys’ to load his CBR600 into the van too, then Thursday morning went over to Zanders to collect him and his GPz500, had to ditch some of my kit into Rhys’ car as it was a tight fit getting three bikes and my tools etc into a short wheelbase tranny:

n641451819_743553_4299.jpg

Once loaded me and Zander drove up in the Tranny with Space and Rhys in his car, traffic was great and we got to Toddington services on the M1 in just under 2hrs where we met up with the rest of the Southern GJ’s:

n524801275_1058319_8738.jpg
    n524801275_1058319_8738.jpg
    blue Tranny was Mark and Doddy

n524801275_1058328_1249.jpg
    Tranny with trailer was MadMatt, Rin + kids
    We had another couple of vans in convoy with us too but no phots.

Another hours drive and we arrived at Donnington Park, sun shining and clear blue skys where we waited for them to let us in and the other various convoys of Junkies to arrive:

n641451819_743512_9871.jpg
    n641451819_743519_1995.jpg

I grabbed garage 24 although most of the Southern lot grabbed one a few further up and we unloaded the bikes and more importantly the beer!

n577057518_682161_4284.jpg

Gradually more and more peeps arrived and we poured more beer down our necks and a fantastic party followed. I have now discovered that RAF and beer and glow sticks don’t mix *lol* as my van got a paintjob in the middle of the night :D :D :D

n634870295_2592423_9108.jpg
    *lol*

We all went for a little bimble round the track at about midnight for a “sighting lap” *lol* Yeah didn’t see much except a security guard come tell us off *oops* hehehe. Soon enough the beer ran dry and we all decided it was bed time, I was snug as a bug in a rug in my van with the amount of booze I’d had, well I was until about 0630 when Adam decided to start his van up and wake me, then I realised that I had passed out with me drivers window open which just happened to be on the windward side of the van and the rain had started to fill me seat up a bit [:I]

After washin and waking up with a couple of cups of coffee we all trundled over to the sign on point and got our wrist bands and complimentary bacon buttie and were given the shambles of a safety brief! [}:)] It was aweful, no one could hear the guy and they ran late which ment that the circuit control were calling for the novice group before the brief had been given… I have never been to a track day where novice went out first and they were rushed to such an extent peeps went out without back protectors waterproofs etc on their 1st trackday, friggin aweful organisation!
    I just had time to go to the loo after the brief and throw my leathers on as the final call for the blue group (inters) was piped and me tyre warmers had only been on the bike 5min so had not put any heat into them. Fortunately after the first session it calmed down and we were able to try and enjoy what was a very wet morning!

n641451819_742621_7373.jpg
    n641451819_742623_7887.jpg
    n641451819_742633_602.jpg

To say I was bricking it out there was an understatement, it was so slippy, on the start/finish straight I was on 1 lap wheelspinning the entire length of it until my bracking point! [:0] and the first 2 sessions were just terrifiying in a kind of fun way. If you think riding on the road in the wet requires concentration, try riding fast on track! The hardest bit for me was other people as they would brake way too early or have dodgy lines meaning I’d either be caught out with them slowing infront of me or have to dodge them change lines mid corner!

After I had gotten used to it I had a session with no rain and some of the water drained off the track, what a difference it made to my confidence!

n641451819_742628_9197.jpg
    n641451819_742630_9755.jpg

Zander had a lil spill on his 2nd or 3rd session so sat out for a while till he got his confidence back his bike was not hurt and he just bruised his bum and was pretty cool about the whole thing:

n524801275_1058369_5443.jpg

After lunch the weather dried up and the track slowely got a dry line and by the last session the whole circuit was dry mostly! I was in my zone and so much happier, my new tyre warmers packed up after my second session “Grrr” so I was worried that I wouldnt have time to get any heat into them with our 15min sessions. The Michelin Pilot Power 2CT’s that I fitted a few weeks back were AWESOME! both in the wet and in the dry! Sure I had wheelspin on the straight but even guys on wet race tyres were spinning up there! I had a fiddle with me suspension as well and think by the end of the day the front was spot on, the back was not giving me any info at all when I out braked myself chasing a marshal round and I’m not sure if I had locked it up or if it was in the air or just rolling along behind me which was a very strange feeling, I was glad when the bike made it round the corner tho thats for sure [;)]

n641451819_742626_8649.jpg

By the last session I was proper buzzing and went out with the intention of taking it easy….

*lol* Yeah that didn’t happen, under the Dunlop bridge into 4th with the front wheel lifting and hitting me in the face, even made it into 5th gear on one lap (thats bloody fast on a GSX-R 750!)… Showboating round Melbourn loop, right knee on the deck and waggling me left foot in the air at Space and me other mates watchin grinning for the camera’s (bloody gits never took any pics, they just came and told me off for scaring them!) *lol*

All in all it was a fantastic day and I feel that allthough it was scary in the wet to start with I learnt so much from smooth riding through a river of a track to late braking as it dried out, I now know a lil bit about what the suspension needs to do and know not to buy cheep kit (tyre warmers).

If any people are looking to have a go at riding on track, don’t go “maybe” go out and do it, book up as novice and have a fantastic day out!

Radar

Pete, truly you as mad as a box of frogs! Sounds like a great time was had by all! When is your next outing, I would like to come and join in at least some of the fun!

BTW any chance you post the last update as a new thread in the Track Days section? This is cracking stuff and deserves it’s own thread

HippoDrones
    Participant

Can do matey, am a tad wobbly right now as celebrating being dumped quite spectacularily so shall see if I am capable *lol*

frogs would have had more grip (and less phots!) :D

katana
    Participant

Great write up and pics Pete

I to had a spectacular dump recently – had to cut it up with stick to get it to flush.

HippoDrones
    Participant

*lol* @ katana! [:D]

HippoDrones
    Participant

Hahaha, I wonder how much I’d drunk on me last post:

quote:

frogs would have had more grip (and less phots!) :D

lol

Am gonna miss the gixer when she’s gone…. KTM 530EXC with supermoto wheels and decent 4pot front stoppers with sticky rubber and an idiot at the helm sounds far more sensible! ;) lol :D

imperialdata
    Keymaster

You’ve done more serious riding on it than most of us Pete.

I’m sure you’ll get back on a sports bike round a track again one day. For now though, the KTM sounds like it’s filling the gap nicely.

HippoDrones
    Participant

It is I just wish I had more opertunities to ride it tho, good things to those who wait an all that! ;)

Radar

A shame that you have decided to sell, but you certainly seemed to of had your fun with it

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 76 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.