A slow moving project GSX-R

Home Forums Jap stuff A slow moving project GSX-R

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    HippoDrones
    Participant

still got the main part of the fairing to sort the white bits on and need to laquer the whole lot, pics to follow once I’ve done the whole thing :)

HippoDrones
    Participant

well thats all the painting done, just the laquer to do tomoz now. Gotta say for a first go at spraying and doing it with more than 1 colour it looks ok to me :D :D :D It has a couple of runs and a little overspray where there were gaps in the masking :$ but looks pretty good!

Will do a step by step photo post once Its all laquered. I am still waiting on the decals, it seems our postie possibly thought he deserved them more than me :mad: Grrr. The guy who sorted them for me tho has said he’ll foot the bill to replace them which is good of him :-)

Can’t wait till its all finished, oh I’ve still gotta drill out holes for the crash bungs which I forgot to do before painting which was silly, but not the end of the world!

HippoDrones
    Participant

Well I have finally finished all the spraying! Had a few mishaps along the way but was fun and it don’t look too shoddy.

First of all I primed with grey for the bits to be blue and white for the bits destined to be white, then masked up ready for the first colour:
    primingandmasking1.jpg
    primingandmasking2.jpg
    primingandmasking3.jpg

Putting on the first colour was rather daunting as I wasn’t sure if I’d decided on which colour was best to start doing first etc. I knew a bit of overspray wasnt an issue tho as I would be re-applying primer etc and masking up the finer detailing later on:
    firstcolour1.jpg
    firstcolour2.jpg
    firstcolour3.jpg
    firstcolour4.jpg
    as you can see in the above phot I was doing different first colours on each part.

Once the paint had dried I then masked off the sections properly (ish [:I]) that had been painted ready for more primer and then the second colour:
    secondcolour1.jpg
    secondcolour2.jpg
    secondcolour3.jpg
    Although I thought I had masked everything up properly its amazing how much paint can get through little gaps etc.

The upper fairing was the only bit to have all three colours and it ment I had to put extra masking on that for each stage!

Once the colours were applied and the paint dried I got to unpeel all the masking and with my fingers and toes crossed I hoped that no paint had either seeped under the tape or been removed by me unpeeling it. Fortunately most of it behaved and I was quite happy with the result:
    unlaquered1.jpg
    unlaquered2.jpg
    unlaquered3.jpg

With all the painting done I then needed to apply lots of clear coats of laquer to get a nice finish and add a bit more shine to the paint:
    finishedtank.jpg
    finishedtail.jpg
    finishednose.jpg
    finishedbellypan.jpg
    I was thinking it would be simple and just add layers till I ran out of laquer….

… Unfortunately, nothing is simple and if its able to be messed up it’ll get messed up by me:
    smear1.jpg
    smear2.jpg
    smear3.jpg
    smear4.jpg
    The first coat of laquer just made the edges of the paint run almost as if they were still wet and in the places where I ummm over applied the first coat it all mixed up and the edges blended [:(][:(!] I think with some careful decal applications I may be able to hide it a bit but the worst areas are the most visible :(

Over all I am pretty happy with what is my first go at it, be great to see them fitted to the bike and once my decals turn up I shall do just that to aid the fitting of the stickers so that they line up properly etc….. pics to follow when I get them :)

Radar

Coming together 247! Hopefully the decals will help cover some of the issues caused by the lacquer application

HippoDrones
    Participant

Yesterday I fitted a +2 rear sprocket, going from 45T to 47T along with a speedo-healer. I have now worked out a much easier method of replacing the rear wheel too thank god! (it involves paint pots *LOL*

DSC00008-1.jpg

The Speedo-Healer was very easy to fit but I needed to calibrate it as well, used the test setting which puts in a pretend speed into the bikes computer and does a virtual high speed run at 139mph, ran this for exactly 10.0 miles on the odometer whilst timing with a stopwatch. Basic formula of speed = distance / time

I did it this way as the odometers on bikes are pretty accurate. This showed that the out the box factory setting for the speedo was 5.95% out and for my 139mph indicated I would actually only be travelling around 131mph. That sorted out what error was in the std electrics, I then went onto the speedo-healer website and added that error along with a 50% worn tyre and the +2 teeth on the rear sprocket into their online calculator and got my total error along with the instructions for setting up the speedo-healer. I messed up when programming it which ment that todays miles were free as I had no indication of speed or distance on my clocks. 5 min re-inputting the settings (correctly this time) and it all seems to be working fine now! :)

What a difference the extra 2 teeth make tho, its almost like riding a Gixer thou!!!! Pulls away so much cleaner now and hehehe, the front only needs the slightest crest in the road and even in 3rd gear the wheel is lifting easily! :D :D :D It was never a hard bike to wheelie anyway but now its giggles time :D :D :D

Am hoping that this gearing change will sort the issues I had at Brands on stock settings, it wont be perfect, I think a -1 tooth on the front as well would be ideal on track, but I want to ride the bike on the road as well and that would be tyre destroying acceleration and a highside waiting to happen on the road!

Oh I’ve fitted my first decals to arrive on the belly pan but won’t post pics of that until I have them all and have the fairings on the bike!

Radar

The gearing tweaks sound like they have made a difference. Different sprockets for different circuits maybe??

HippoDrones
    Participant

if I was racing then yeah but not just for track days, thats getting way too keen LOL :D

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Looks like you are having fun with the spraying Pete, you doing it all with spray cans? Shame you’re not a bit closer, you could have borrowed my compressor!

HippoDrones
    Participant

yeah was all just spray cans, its not perfect by any means but it’ll do for me :)

prezzo
    Participant

Dont matter what it looks like as long as it flys round the track
    doing Oulton Park summer with the lads if your interested

HippoDrones
    Participant

could possibly be up for that mate :)

Am doing Donny on the 28th March, got a provisional date of 12th April to do Llandow near Cardiff, not sure how good it’ll be tho as the circuit doesn’t look that thrilling to me but it could be good, (and is only costing me around £45!) Not got any others planned yet but hope to do a few! :D

HippoDrones
    Participant

Have got myself a tankpad and some Stompgrip off ebay, fitted both today. The tank pad was just a case of peeling off the backing and slapping it on the tank (wonkey [:I])

The Stompgrip needs heating with a hair dryer so popped over to a mates to borrow hers:

n677378932_702186_3304.jpg
    n677378932_702187_3650.jpg
    n677378932_702188_4001.jpg
    n677378932_702189_4360.jpg
    n677378932_702190_4718.jpg
    n677378932_702191_5072.jpg
    n677378932_702192_5430.jpg
    n677378932_702193_5793.jpg
    n677378932_702194_6153.jpg
    n677378932_702195_6538.jpg
    n677378932_702196_6903.jpg
    n677378932_702197_7275.jpg
    n677378932_702198_7655.jpg
    n677378932_702199_8024.jpg
    n677378932_702200_8416.jpg

Unfortunately I rushed a bit on the second side so they are a bit wonky too, not too bothered tho, should all make kneedown and hanging off lots easier! [}:)]

I’v borrowed a dremmel and drill from my mates dad so will be bolting the fairings etc onto the bike tomoz to finish off drilling the holes for the crash bungs and also to hopfully fit the rest of the decals I’ve got on their way. Not got a “www.bikemeet.net” one yet so will try getting one or two made up by some guys I know in a while.

Hopefully will put up some phots of the bike all together tomorrow [:)]

Radar

Good stuff Pete, looking forward to seeing the pictures of the bike in it’s final form. Hope to get to see you on at least one track day this year

HippoDrones
    Participant

Well I have everything now, except three no 7’s for me number boards!

DSC00074-1.jpg
    DSC00075-1.jpg
    DSC00077.jpg
    DSC00078-2.jpg
    DSC00079.jpg
    DSC00080.jpg
    DSC00082-2.jpg
    DSC00083-1.jpg
    DSC00084.jpg
    DSC00086.jpg
    DSC00089.jpg
    DSC00090.jpg

Was supposed to have been posted out to me ages ago, better bloody turn up on Monday! *lol*

So what you all think of the (Almost) Finished Article?

Radar

Looks the business Pete! Like the little circuit maps!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 76 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.