My biking history

Home Forums BikeMeet Cafe My biking history

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    The Essex Reaper
    Participant

Right then, my first attempt at writing about my biking years.

I purchased my very first bike about a month before my 16th birthday. A 1989 Honda SA50 Vision Met-in. I took my CBT on my birthday and whilst doing so managed to blow the piston and rings just as we were about to go and do the ride out part of the CBT. Needless to say I couldn’t. Got the bike repaired and done the road ride part of the CBT the following weekend. In the six months I had this bike I replaced the pistons and rings three times. Next was time to move onto bigger and hopefully better things.

VisionMet-in.jpg

I part exchanged it for a 1983 Honda H100A. This proved to be more reliable than the original 50cc and lasted me for almost a year when I decided that a 125cc was going to be better for getting to and from college.

H100A_1980.jpg

It was May 2000 when I eventually purchased my first and only new bike. It was a red and silver Kymco Stryker 125cc and was a joy to own and ride. I dropped it once whilst doing a u-turn on a gravel drive and grabbed too much front brake. Only damaged was a cracked hand guard. Whilst at college I took and passed my bike test and after 14 months of ownership I swapped the Kymco for my fist “big” bike.

kymco125.jpg

My first “big” bike was a 1991 Suzuki GS500E and was worlds apart from anything else I had ridden in the past. I owned this bike until June 2002 when I moved to Manchester. The last two months of ownership of this bike was with it sat in my garage in pieces as I had managed to blow the engine (a fate I seem to be very good at, you will find out why later) After selling this bike I had a gap from riding as I couldn’t afford to buy or run a bike as well as my Ford Orion RS Turbo (my other pride and joy).

Skip a couple of years and we are now in 2005 and I brought a cheap Yamaha DT125 to get back to riding again but soon got bored of the lack of power.

dt125.jpg

So in September 2006 I brought my next “big” bike. A 1994 Suzuki GS500E. I brought another GS500 as I knew what they were like to ride and was pretty easy to maintain. I done a couple of modifications to this one including a race exhaust, small indicators and a screen. Unfortunately in May 2007 I blew this one up as well (snapped the crank and con-rods).

BikewithboxSide.jpg

I searched eBay and auto trader for a new bike which was fairly cheap to buy as didn’t really have much money at the time but needed to be on a bike.

I managed to find a 1993 Kawasaki ZZR600 E1 for a grand price of £750 with tax and MOT and some nice modifications done it. It has served me well and been to Donningtons BikeFest two up. I still have it now and it is used daily to get me to and from work and once my OH has passed her bike test will be going to her.

HPIM0170.jpg

About two months ago now I purchased a bike I only ever dreamed of owning in the past. A 2000 Ducati 748. I rode it almost constantly for four weeks but unfortunately just couldn’t get used to it.

748side.jpg

So I sold it on again and purchased this just over a week ago now. A beautiful 1999 Honda CBR900RR Fireblade with 10k on the clocks and one owner from new.

Bladeside1.jpg

I think I’ve covered everything but might have missed a couple bikes out.

HDXLN
    Participant

wow i though i had gone through a lot of bikes :D welcome to the forum

Radar

Welcome to the forum ER, I have written my biking history too, you can find it here

https://bikemeet.net/forums/topic/my-main-bikes-since-17-updated-several-times/

I crashed a H100 back in 1986, seemed to bounce well.

I rode a friends 748 Ducati, funnily enough I did not get on with it either!

In the meantime this link will help you look around the site

https://bikemeet.net/forums/topic/great-posts-pics-across-the-site-part-2/

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Been meaning to try a 748 for years now. You’re not the first to say how hard they are to get into (and I’m sure you won’t be the last).

Had a ride on an 07 ‘Blade 2 days ago just posted a quick review here. Did some miles on it, it’s a very capable bike that seems to do lots of work for you, unlike the Duke I’m sure.

Welcome to The Bike Forum, hope to meet up on a ride.

Radar

I have added this thread to the list of recommended posts:

https://bikemeet.net/forums/topic/great-posts-pics-across-the-site-part-2/

I was part of a five person team that rode a Honda Vision Met-In fropm John O Groats to land End, non-stop, back in 1990. Took 42 hours!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.