Crossgates, Wales

Home Forums Meetings and events Crossgates, Wales

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    The Welsh Dragon
    Participant

Yes I’ll be there, but I’m going to have to spend this afternoon looking for my big book of biker TLAs (three letter abbreviations)!!!

I was planning to meet some of you at Mc Ds in Newtown at 1115/1130 and head south with you from there :)

Gix
    Participant

LOL the letters on the list are abbreviations of sites the riders are from hun, its a multi forum meet.
    B-C = bikers cafe
    TBF = the bike forum
    UKBF = UK bike forum
    GBB = GBbikers
    ROC = ride out crew
    DTP = disturbing the peace

Gix
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Gix

the attendees so far…

Me (here there and everywhere lol)
    shadowfax (B-C)
    Big Katz (here there and everywhere lol)
    Karen (UKBF,GBB,B-C)
    Mike ST (UKBF,ROC,B-C)
    Chilli (ROC,TBF,UKBF,B-C)
    Thumper (TBF,B-C)
    ID (TBF,B-C)
    Born2bmild (TBF,B-C,UKBF,GBB)
    Speed monster (TBF,GBB,B-C)
    kazcol (ROC, B-C,UKBF)
    Digger (TBF, B-C)
    The Welsh Dragon (TBF)
    Radar (TBF,B-C,GBB,DTP)
    Digger (TBF,B-C)
    Fasteddie (ROC,B-C)
    Renegade
    Bev
    Dave (ROC,B-C)
    rockmonster (DTP)
    Maybe Wills9 (ROC)
    Maybe Malfisher

Gix
    Participant

Ok Welsh Dragon, Digger is now coming to my house in the morning so its just us lot of hooligans ya gotta watch out for lol
    Those of you meeting at my house, we leave at 10am sharp, if you miss us, keep on the a5 towards Shrewsbury and then the A458 to welshpool and then on to maccy d’s in Newtown.
    See you all in the morning! [;)]

Radar

I will see you all at the Cafe at Crossgates itself about 12:00

Will be on the XJR

Radar

Just got back, excellent ride out. Full review and piccies to follow

The Welsh Dragon
    Participant

I got back at 4.30 having left Crossgates and travelled home via Lake Vyrnwy (the scenic route), a 191 mile round trip taking 6 hours (with the stops).

Hope you all got home safely after a great day out :)

Gix
    Participant

Yep back safe, good day had by all! Welsh dragon was good to meet you hun, sorry we were a bit late….it was thumpers fault! honest guv!

Digger
    Participant

Got back at 6,got a bit lost lol.

Thumper
    Participant

Well, superlatives escape me.
    A steady start, building up speed and satisfaction as the roads became more open, and the traffic died away.

Highlights for me were that revelation of a road between Newtown and Crossgates [A483].
    The whizz home on the twisties was fun, and of course not forgetting meeting you all…..what a nice bunch you all are.
    What can I say, we even met a nice copper, who let me off a speeding ticket!

Top dollar ride guys, thank you

Also worthy of a special mention….Big Katz was a sooopa pillion, it was a pleasure taking you, and Karen, I thought you rode really well today. And thanks to Radar for leading 12+ bikes back from Crossgates to Bridgenorth, a good pace with proper gathering skills too. Thanks Gix for all you efforts.
    I cant wait to see the photos, and hopefully, someone will be kind enough to match the names with the faces.

In fact you all rode superbly today……… good one all!

I’ve only just put my bike away, and I want to get it back out again!

Gix
    Participant

First meet up.  Maccie D’s in Newtown, we then went for a wee blast on down to Quatt cafe.

After Quatt we went our seperate ways with the Brummie possie heading back to mine….

(picture links removed, as they were no longer available)

Radar

Well Gix you pulled it off, a great meeting of at least four forums TBF, BC, DTP, GB and I think a couple of others.

My day started out in Kidderminster as I headed out on my XJR with a colleague (and non forum member) Dave following on his 600 Fazer. We had an enjoyable 60 miles blast up to Crossgates via Clee Hill, past Ludlow, through Knighton and rolled up to the café about 11:40 or so. I couldn’t see anybody from the forums, but then it struck me that I actually only knew Gix, Thumper and Digger anyway. Spotting folk could be interesting! Well only one thing for it ~ breakfast, before everybody else showed up and created a queue for food that an African relief convoy would be proud of! Sorry Gix, I missed getting you brekkie, so we have to go out again to sort that out!
    No sooner had I tucked than up strolls a fellow biker and slightly hesitantly made himself known to me. This was Shadowfax of BC, who had actually not met any of us! He was on his ZZR1100 and had Aprilla riding Bev and two other couples both on ZRX1200s with him (sorry missed your names). They are a friendly bunch, but I was most impressed that when Shadowfax was informed by a friendly fellow biker that his ZZR was pissing fuel all over the back tyre, how he strolled casually over to his ZZR with his tab still lit!10/10 for cool points. No hassle just some excess fuel coming from the breather. The next person to show up at the café was Malfisher riding his rather lovely Enfield. Things were beginning to build up nicely.

Gix and a considerable posse had met up at the McDonalds in Newtown and enjoyed the delights of the sublime A483 to reach Crossgates fashionably late shall we say! BigKatz was clinging on to the back of her GSXR1000 for dear life, but was sporting a smile only a surgeon could remove so I suspect she wasn’t too bothered! Gix rolled in first and over the next 15 mins or so all the others started to arrive; Mr and Mrs Welsh Dragon (GSXR1000), DaveRS (R6), Speedmonster aka “Satnav” (ZXR400), Digger (Prezzo’s 06 R1), Thumper (VTR), Chilli (ZZR), Karen (ZX6R), Fast Eddie (TL1000) and MikeST (Triumph ST) to name a few. By now we had about 20 bikes and around 30 people. All seemed to mix well, especially as some had never meet before and some like Shadowfax and my mate Dave had never met anybody from any of these forums.

Shadowfax and his crew decided to hit the A44 and check out Rhayader and the nearby dams that supply thirsty Brummies with water. Great roads, but as we were running late I decided to head out with the main group towards Bridgnorth. Malfisher took his own path on the Enfield and the Welsh Dragons acted on my recommendation of the roads in and around Lake Vernyw (spelling!). Hope they enjoyed the views, I think that area is gorgeous. Digger even managed a brief family reunion as he bumped into a cousin he had not seen for sometime, small world!

After another half hour or so we all mounted up and headed off towards Bridgnorth with yours truly leading the way. As we all marshalled together another large group were also forming up, and I was amused when one of this group joined us, then realised he didn’t recognise anybody and then quietly shuffled to join his mates!

Once formed up we headed out of Crossgates on the A44 briefly before turning left onto the A488 back towards Knighton over some entertaining hills, twists and bends. Next up was the A4113 a lovely strip of tarmac and it was great to have a line of bikes strung out behind. We kept together pretty well by stopping a couple times allow everybody to catch up. Judging the pace to set wasn’t easy, I have never led such a long chain of bikes before, but every now and then I gave the XJR a bit of squirt to keep the sportsbike riders reasonably entertained. The XJR does OK for a 236kg, 107bhp pogo stick!

We briefly took in the A49 and A4117 to the outskirts of Ludlow before turning onto the fantastic B4364. This a bumpy, demanding piece of road that is a big favourite with Thumper, so I waved him and Digger through to have some fun while MikeST, DaveRS and Speedmonster tucked in behind me to watch my overworked Ohlins struggle to keep the XJR in shape. The road was a bit mud strewn today and this rather limited the fun. At one point I hit a bump so hard that I thought my gonads were going to wind up in my neck!

However the whole group was shocked and saddened to see a fellow biker down on this road. Not one of our group, but a sobering sight all the same. Whoever you are buddy, I wish you a speedy recovery. There but for the grace of God go I…

Putting this to the back of my mind I pressed on. Then, once Digger and Thumper (Wirh BigK on pillion), rejoined the group, we covered the last few miles to café on the A422 just outside Bridgnorth. More chat, tea and fags were enjoyed and once again I missed buying Gix breakfast! Sorry! Eventually it was time for everybody to make their way home and headed back to Kidderminster with Dave.

All in all a great inter-forum gathering and I really enjoyed meeting you all.

Cheers to Gix for setting this up.

Hope to see you all again soon.

Christmas bash anybody?

@MikeST ~ is 950+ words enough?

Piccies:
    PA150044.jpg
    Malfisher’s rather lovely Enfield and in the background the brooding resence of Digger’s R1. I want both. Badly…

PA150045.jpg

PA150046.jpg
    Gathering the pack enroute to Bridgnorth from Crossgates

PA150048.jpg
    Thumper on his VTR, Digger nattering as usual!!

PA150049.jpg
    Koito Dave and his Fazer. Nice pose…

PA150050.jpg
    Fast Eddie and partner aboard the wild child TL

PA150051.jpg
    Daytona mounted couple from Stoke, Chilli on his ZZR with Gix and DaveRS chatting at the back of the class

PA150055.jpg
    Chilli pulled…

PA150052.jpg
    Group shot, you know who you are…

Digger
    Participant

Fantastic day,hope to do it again.Great wright up Radar.

Gix
    Participant

PA150052.jpg

left to right – DaveRS, Rob (speed monster), Karen, MikeST, chilli, Eddie, Digger, Sandra (hiding), Kaz, Col, Me, Thumper, Dave and Big Katz.

Billy
    Participant

Great day out, im sure the lads and lassies from the ROC had a brill time too, Im not a big fan of group rides, but i have to say that was so enjoyable, one of the best routes ive been on… wheres the pic of Gix gettin rear endded?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.