’11 Ducati 1098 Streetfighter S Review

Home Forums Italian tackle ’11 Ducati 1098 Streetfighter S Review

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    HippoDrones
    Participant

Have booked in for my first service, the Termis are not in stock yet so will have to wait for them. Getting it serviced at my local dealers P&H Motorcycles on Friday. Hopefully the bits and bobs I’ve ordered off the net will be with me soon as well as the cans.

I rolled over 600 miles today so am now allowed up to 7000rpm, it is mental having just that extra 1000rpm as the bike seems to have a power surge there and feels lots more lively.

I discovered that the traction control works when the front wheel slides as well as when the rear spins which is fortunate considering the post I’d be writing if it didn’t lol [:D]

The bike steers a hell of a lot slower than my Husky did but considering it weighs a third more than it I can’t complain, it also has a steering damper and I think it is the only bike I have ever ridden with one so it may be that causing it to feel slow.

I am still getting used to the riding position, I definately find right handers easier than lefts due to the zorst, can’t wait to get the rearsets fitted to see if that helps me and my stumpy legs! [:D]

d20d97de.jpg
    8b4d69de.jpg
    25caa51c.jpg

ses310

Nice to hear your getting on well with the bike Pete, be good to hear what difference the few mods make.

HippoDrones
    Participant

Had the first service today, £119 all in. They don’t do a lot for it so I’d not say it was cheap or even good value but to be fair I think all main dealer servicing is slightly overpriced so am not unhappy with that, especially as they told me it’d cost £125 so the £6 saved paid for my taxi to go collect the bike [:D]

Now I am allowed up to 7000rpm and with dry roads I went for a blat to Box Hill for a brew and toasted tea cake. Over crests the front is very happy to lift even with light throttle like I am still using for the next 1500km. Once run in it has peak power and peak torque at 9500rpm.

I do now have to agree that it does understeer quite a lot, have not had dry enough roads or warm enough tyres until today to have a proper play but yes, the suspension does need fettling to dial that out although I am sure it is something once I am used to I could ride around, but why have Ohlins suspension if I’m not gonna have it set up correctly! [:D]

I am blown away by the front brakes, even managed a small stoppie at some lights today just using one finger on the lever, with warm sticky roads and summer rubber fitted this thing will be quite a weapon (once the suspension is set up).

My brain really does need redialling in to the speed thing again. I’ve not been above 110mph in 2yrs even on track and it does require a little more thinking ahead etc, am sure it’ll all come back to me as the bike becomes more familiar tho [:)]

Awesome bike.

Radar

The Fazer 1st service was £106 for what was eseentially an oil and filter change. Rip off. Glad you can have a little more fun now Pete!

HippoDrones
    Participant

Have had some bits and bobs delivered, am still waiting on the zorsts and need a smaller plate before I’ll bother fitting the tail tidy:

3032378a.jpg
    20b1d6d2.jpg

2c9de83a.jpg
    f16f2da6.jpg

3e587078.jpg
    ed15874c.jpg

ad7c22b0.jpg
    a53cc5ba.jpg

0e08ac7d.jpg
    f36c64ea.jpg

bf572159.jpg
    1ecd4563.jpg
    68d27bf0.jpg

I thought I’d taken a pic of the front axle slider too but seem to have lost it.

I still need to twiddle to get the pegs and levers in the right position. The seat is really grippy so should stop me sliding so much. Will post pics with the tail tidy fitted once I have a small plate.

ses310

Looking good there Pete!

Radar

I particularly like the exhaust shround, thats much better

HippoDrones
    Participant

aye thanks :-) and a lesson has also been learnt…. use locktight on threads lol, nearly lost my gear-lever and have lost a mounting screw for the heat shield. All glued in place again now tho

Radar

Loctite tis a wonderful thing, but apply sparingly!

HippoDrones
    Participant

I took the bike down to the chap that set the suspension up on my Gixer, he has set it up pretty much as soft as it will go for the road and with the soggyness its not a bad thing. The bike does feel far more settled on our crummy roads and now the front and rear seem better matched too so it feels more natural in the corners. I will stiffen it back up some I think in the summer, especially if doing trackdays but for now it feels just right for the conditions.

At the MCN ExCeL Bike Show I not only got some bike kit, I also had a slightly smaller numberplate made up, its 7.5″ x 5.5″ so only a little undersized and has no borders so the letters can be larger, should be safe enough to avoid unwanted plod attention hopefully. Getting this meant I spent the afternoon fitting my EvoTech tailtidy, and OMG what a flippin pa-lava! lol, oh I found the bikes tool kit, you need a tool to get access to it (again LOL) [:D] anyhows, the finished article I think looks ace, need to rewire the LED light tho as I currently have the wires the wrong way round so it doesn’t wrk, will do that at somepoint but no hurry as it is too much of a PITA to get to the wires.

9bce1b2b.jpg

Radar

I have never really messed about at all with suspension settings, it would be good to get somebody who knows what they are doing to set my bikes up for me

imperialdata
    Keymaster

The mods look good Pete. I agree with Radar, the exhaust shroud looks the business and totally changes that section of the bike. Is the seat mod just to make it less slippy or is the foam changed too?

HippoDrones
    Participant

I don’t think the foam inside is any different, but it is much more grippy than the std one

Radar

How is the old Duke doing or have you been riding the XS everywhere??

HippoDrones
    Participant

I have been out on both equally I guess. The Ducati is ace, I really love it and the reviews are spot on, it don’t like sub 100mph, and even the bike giggles to me when I give it some beans. Still waiting on the Termis tho, really want them to turn up soon, tis getting a bit silly now 3 months after ordering them and still no sign.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.