’11 Ducati 1098 Streetfighter S Review

Home Forums Italian tackle ’11 Ducati 1098 Streetfighter S Review

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    HippoDrones
    Participant

Best start with my expectations for the bike seein as I have a week to go before it gets delivered [:)]

aef9f010.jpg

From the reviews it sounds like I’ll need to get the suspension dialled in as with the std settings it supposedly understeers like crazy. It made a world of difference getting my GSX-R set up properly.

Am really looking forward to seeing how the traction control and ABS performs, not ridden a bike with either before.

It was quite odd sitting on the bike in my local dealership, am so used to having a high front mudguard and the Ducati has you sitting so close to the front of the bike it looks like there is nothing below you almost.

Its aggressive looks have really grown on me, the only way it could look better is if they did it in the colours of the 1198 S (black bodywork with red frame) as that would look awesome:

A photo edit I did in the black and red
    dd4a18b7.jpg

I can’t wait to get it! [:D]

Radar

So excited a review before a ride! Look forward to the updates!

HippoDrones
    Participant

NEW BIKE DAY!!! [:D]

Hope it gets here before the rain does.

HippoDrones
    Participant

Bike was delivered today just before lunch time and the rain started almost as soon as it was taken out of the delivery van do’h lol [:D] In the flesh it looks absolutely stunning and my first impression from a wobbly soggy ride I am hugely impressed. It is incredibly comfy (ok so any bike is comfy compared to the Husky and KTM lol)
    It feels well thought out and I think it will def suit me once it is run in. The std zorsts are quite throaty so am looking forward to the Terminogis when it goes for its first service at 600ish miles.
    It was too soggy and I’m too rusty to explore its handling and traction control/ABS

I totally love it so far! [:D]

ses310

Wow looks an amazing bike Pete! Ever so slightly jealous!!!
    Looking forward to hearing how she perform in less soggy conditions

Radar

Looks fantastic Pete, we are going to have to sort out a meet up and ride before you go back on patrol

katana
    Participant

That looks great – guess Father Christmas delivers early up your way?

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Looks a stunning bike Pete, I’m impressed too by the photo mods, it would look a beast in black.

I’m sure you’ll have hours of fun on that, hope to see it in the flesh this year (and meet up with you of course!).

HippoDrones
    Participant

Wow, what an awesome bike. Rode about 100 miles today with a few mates. Am allowed up to 6000rpm which works out to be about 105mph ish in top so even tho running in it is not too painful.

I’ve not had to test the ABS yet but have found the DTC (Ducati Traction Control) to be a little too invasive on its top setting which is the initial setting (it has 8 levels). I have turned it down to 6 and it may drop it again to 5 possibly although will stick with 6 for another 100 miles I think to see how it reacts as I get more used to the throttle. Talking of the throttle, the fuel injection feels perfect and picks up very smoothly, it does judder a bit below 2500rpm but hey, we can’t have everything! [;)]
    I was warned by my local Ducati salesman that the tyres were horrid and the suspension needs fettling to get the best from it… so far I’ve not got any complaints about the tyres although I do think when run in it will over power them quite easily but in the bleak and slimey winter with only half throttle available (and DTC) they are more than adequate. The suspension does seem a little firm on the rear but as with the tyres I’m not able to push hard enough to need to twiddle with it just yet, it did make a huge difference on the gixer tho so shall def get it set up once the roads are drier and I have more throttle available.
    I’ve been reading the manual and it has a data logger apparently which will need playing with… certainly on a trackday [:D]

The first service is at 1000km and then there after every 12,000km (7500miles) or annually. A little better than the 3000miles of the Husky officially and def better than my KTM’s after almost every outing! [:D]

49067274.jpg
    6a72da05.jpg
    fc4a1803.jpg
    7cd5d096.jpg
    51d593a2.jpg
    3d6bd509.jpg
    9782e69f.jpg

Radar

Looks like it is shaping up well, you have fell lucky with the weather to get some miles on it. Hint of a track day in there!

HippoDrones
    Participant

had hoped to get out on it today as well but was too grim. Maybe tomoz [:D]

Def think a bike like this deserves some track time for sure. be interesting to see how it does at Brands Indy compared to my Husky and also now I have some cc I’d like to go back to Donny to try the new circuit and to Cadwell to do the full circuit as well [:)]

Radar

How does it compare to your the Triumph Speed Triple you had a few years back…it alamost seems a natural progression

HippoDrones
    Participant

It is definitely a progression from the S3, you can feel it has more “umph” inside the engine and is a far more sport orientated ride in both position and feel which is something that the S3 lacked (even tho I still think it was one of the best road bikes available at the time.

I feel more confident with the idea of taking this on track than the S3 too, although it handled very well indeed it ran out of grip very fast once on the edge of the tyres (as I found out the hard way lol).

I do love the naked bike look and I think Triumph have missed out on the point a bit of the Speedtriple in the latest update, they should have tried for somit more like this, lots of power, stunning looks and an agressive stance. The current S3 is a lot too soft IMO, and even tho it is up in power on the version I had it still isn’t in the ball park.

Radar

A friend of my has recently sold his 1998 Thundercat (virtually identical to mine) and bought himself a brand new Speed Triple. Loves it so far, but has suffered from cracked headlights which seems to be a design fault as they are recalling them. Interesting to see your thoughts on how in compared to your old Triumph.

This might some memories back for you. Some of the pics links seem to be dead now

https://www.bikemeet.net/forums/topic/triumph-speed-triple-2006-review/

HippoDrones
    Participant

have around 550 miles on the bike now, at 600 is the first service so will book it in tomoz and then get the last 50 miles done before hand. Getting the Termis fitted too if they have been delivered on time which I am looking forward too [:D]

The bike is awesome, am really enjoying riding it. I’m getting used to the riding position and learning how to hang off it which was sort of hard to do as the right hand peg is awkward with the zorst running behind it. It is gonna be blisteringly quick.

The front brakes are immense, I thought my Husky’s brakes were good, but this has the same set up but doubled up and as the bike has a lower C of G it means I can use them harder without the back wheel lifting so easily and it seriously scrubs of speed fast!

I have been spending already, I was bored at work so found some bits on ebay and a few other bits and bobs too.

Have ordered some crash protection, a tail tidy, some Ducati Performance rearsets in the hope of them being grippier than the std pegs and also will raise them a tad so will be easier to lean off the bike a bit, a grippier seat and a nicer petrol cap lol

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.