Tyres

Home Forums BikeMeet Cafe Tyres

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    The Welsh Dragon
    Participant

I’m soon gonna need a new rear tyre – 190/50ZR17. I’m currently on a Bridgestone BT012 and although I’ve been happy with the grip on this tyre (so far) it’s only done 3400 and will be gone by 4000 miles. I was wondering if anyone out there had any other recommendations? Something grippy but preferably with more ‘durability’.

98% of my riding is sports-touring with a pillion.

Cheers :)

Gix
    Participant

gosh wish I could get that sort of mileage outta my tyres! its costin me a fortune!!!!
    Have heard good things about the pirelli strada, apparently grippy but lasts longer than the diablo

The Welsh Dragon
    Participant

A dealer in North Wales tells me that he’s had 7k out of a michelin pilot (rear) on a GSXR 1000 and it’s still going. I reckon he must have the bike on a trailer…

Gix
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by The Welsh Dragon

A dealer in North Wales tells me that he’s had 7k out of a michelin pilot (rear) on a GSXR 1000 and it’s still going. I reckon he must have the bike on a trailer…

so do I! My bike came with pilot sports and I got nowhere near 7k tho I did get a few more than I do with the diablos but they werent exactly confidence inspiring lol

The Welsh Dragon
    Participant

Well you have to have confidence in your tyres otherwise it ruins the ride! I guess the milage is not bad from my Bridgestone but we’ve done 2400 miles in just under 3 weeks so I’m going to go through a tyre a month at this rate!!! Although I guess the milage will drop now that winters on the way :(

Gix
    Participant

yep agreed which is why i have diablos now, but 4 rear and on second front this year, its an expensive game[:0] only around 2 – 2.5k on a rear![:0]

Digger
    Participant

I use 012`s on my r1 and 2.5-3k is around the durabilty of these very good tyres.I think you could do with those dual compound tyres but I forget who does them.

The Welsh Dragon
    Participant

The Bridgestone BT012SS is advertised as a dual compound tyre https://www.motorcycletyresuk.com/mark/bridgestonepattern.htm
    But I’ll not be pushing hard over the winter months so I reckon I’ll go for durability and ease off the throttle in the bends. It’s a compromise one way or the other :(

GSF K1
    Participant

Forget Meztlers, I had Sportech M1’s on the old Ninja and got just under 3000 miles out of the rear.

The Welsh Dragon
    Participant

I’m getting a Bridgestone BT014 fitted tomorrow (Saturday). I’ll scrub it in on Sunday’s ride out and see how it feels/lasts from there.

Digger
    Participant

The 14`s are brill mate,i`ve got them on mine at the mo but need a rear.I did have the 12`s untill my mates got them and swore by them,they warm up quick and are good in the wet.Plus we did southern France on them aswel,a total of 2.5k and with plenty to srare.

The Welsh Dragon
    Participant

OK, I put a BT014 on the rear at Saturday lunchtime and scrubbed it in on a 100 mile burn on Saturday night. After that I spent Sunday chasing Gix and a load of you guys/gals around mid wales at a good pace (with my wife on the back) before heading into north wales for a little sedate sight seeing around lake Vyrunwy so by this time the tyre was well and truly bedded in. After that we were on a tight schedule and needed to get back to Shrewsbury faily quickly so the tyre had a hard workout down the B4393. The road was dry and the bends were tight and fast and I’m pleased to say that the BT014 was confidence inspiring all the way, so much so that I dodn’t get one single poke in the ribs from my pillion mounted navaid with instructions to slow down and she even commented on how stable the tyre felt! So I know it sticks well in the dry.

We were out again this evening and got caught in the rain north of Oswestry on the way back home and again the tyre performed really well with no cause for concern on either the tight turns of the A495 or the roundabouts and dual carriageways of the Shrewsbury bypass so I’m happy with the grip of the tyre in the wet & dry, now I just need to see how long it lasts. I’ll let you know when It’s ‘life expired’ :)

Digger
    Participant

Good choice.

Speed Monster
    Participant

I swear by the 014’s too. Got them on my ZXR, albeit a tad smaller than yours (120/60/17 F & 160/60/17 R). I love them.

barmy_carmy
    Participant

We use Avon Venom get between 8,000-10,000 miles ;)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.