Transport of fuel

Home Forums BikeMeet Cafe Transport of fuel

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Champs
    Participant

Anyone know what the law is governing transport of fuel on your motorbike?

Randomly, I am not talking about in the tank itself, but in a legal green plastic 5litre jerry can.

For example, if your getting fuel for someone who has broken down, can you go to the nearest petrol station, buy and bungie cord a full container on the back??

Or if you have a tailpack or topbox already fitted, can you just put a jerry can into one of them??

The dft website states:

quote:

Petrol: Regulations made under the Petroleum (Consolidation) Act 1928 control
    the quantities of petrol permitted to be kept in containers for private use. This
    limit also applies to carriage. A maximum of two metal containers each up to 10
    litres capacity, plus a maximum of two suitable and appropriately-marked plastic
    containers each up to five litres capacity, can be kept in a motor vehicle.

Does this apply to motorcycles???

And before anyone comes out with jokes, no… I haven’t been sniffing petrol fumes again. :huh:

imperialdata
    Keymaster

I’m not sure and would be interested to know as my KTM has a range of about…..well let’s say the bottom of my road can be a big challenge for it.

One day I’ll run out but then I’ll be carrying it back in a taxi on my lap so I guess it’s not that relevant. I really wouldn’t want to be bungeeing it to within 3 inches of my ass.

I guess the common sense law would be to have at least a less puncturable container, but are these available?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.