The morning aarrgh!

Home Forums BikeMeet Cafe The morning aarrgh!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Born2BMild
    Participant

Why do some drivers stop and wait at the beginning of the slip road to join the motorway instead of using the full length of the slip road to merge in gradually. I see it every morning. A car is stopped waiting to join, no one will let them in front of them and the traffic just to piles up behind them. I guiltily undertake the whole queue where I safely can and merge into the motorway lane easily further up.

In Germany. They have something which they call the Reißverschluß, literally zipper feed, which states that both lanes feed into the continuing lane, alternating cars from each lane. No one lane has priority over the other. Would make much more sense as the traffic keeps moving and everybody gets where they want go.

imperialdata
    Keymaster

I was initially against the idea of using the hard shoulder as an occasional lane on the motorway (being trialled on motorways around my area), but this ‘bunching up’ phenomenon you mention is less of an issue then, as traffic just joins straight into a driving lane. Perhaps this is the way forward?

Still no excuse for not using the full length of the joining slip road though.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.