Technology moves on!

Home Forums BikeMeet Cafe Technology moves on!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Champs
    Participant

Regardless of what you think of the sport, you can’t deny that F1 has brought some good advances to modern motor vehicles, what do you think of this…

https://www.itv-f1.com/Feature.aspx?Type=Mark_Hughes&id=43467

HippoDrones
    Participant

sounds like a clockwork nitros oxide! :D :D :D

TT07
    Participant

So they want to push the green issue by utilising wasted energy by adding one of two possible devices (flywheel or battery) weighing approx 35Kg for an intermittent 80bhp occassional boost(more bhp in future years). If they want to boost performance utilising wasted energy GO BACK TO THE GOOD OLD TURBO DAYS, then for less than 35Kg you’d get way above an additional 80bhp!!!!

HippoDrones
    Participant

but this is still a good thing for everyday cars etc for us real people, also when they had turbos etc wern’t it getting a little silly and dangerous with the amount of power they were tryin to lay down?

Champs
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Pete247

but this is still a good thing for everyday cars etc for us real people, also when they had turbos etc wern’t it getting a little silly and dangerous with the amount of power they were tryin to lay down?

Yep, Turbos were banned in 1989 after the cars became too dodgy. In qualification the engineers turned the boost up so far the engine would barely last a couple of laps but had a ‘reported’ output of 1’400hp! Thats a lot of power.

TT07
    Participant

Yes I do see the practical side to introducing a technological innovation that would no doubt wash down into everyday practical vehicles utilising wasted energy just like so many other F1 technological advances already have : drive by wire, semi auto boxes, etc I threw turbos in as they did wash down massivly to everyday cars.

HippoDrones
    Participant

yeah but we got turbos already on cars! :D

TT07
    Participant

I was was refering to Turbos in the past tense, as in, where do you think the big push came from for turbos to be used so widely in everyday vehicles which is where we stand now!
    All I meant to say is that Turbos have ALREADY proved the point, and these new technological ideas that are now being talked about should only give advantages in the future. I agree that Turbos were getting a little silly[:0], but that was only when pushed to the extreme, and thats why, when not used extremely, modern vehicles have been using them for managable power increases for a quite a few years now. I look forward to inivative ideas like this one aiding power outputs in possibly the very near future.[:D]

Champs
    Participant

I think the idea is that modern day cars are starting to move into hybrid technology, some sort energy recovery will recharge the batterys while the petrol engine is running. Plus, you don’t need that much horsepower when your rolling through heavy traffic etc.

Should be interesting to see how it works in F1, whether it makes a difference, and more importantly, how many of the pit crew get shocked! I wouldn’t want to work on it, F1 pit lanes are bloody dangerous as is…

https://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4ySmLEquBHE&feature=related

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.