Ride to Bruntingthorpe with Thumper – Pics!

Home Forums BikeMeet Cafe Ride to Bruntingthorpe with Thumper – Pics!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Radar

An unexpectedly pleasant day weather wise so Thumper and me headed out into the wilds of Leicestershire to check out Bruntingthorpe airfield and the interesting collection of mainly Cold War era aircraft held there. Some very good roads and very pretty villages in that area too which surprised me slightly. Thumper took his Tiger out for the day and I was riding my recently acquired FZ1S.

Anyway a few pics for you:

DSC00520a.jpg
    The bikes with Handley Page Victor providing a suitably dramatic backdrop

DSC00532a.jpg
    In amongst the aircraft were a large number of expensive cars gathering dust, alongside these two Lambos were Maseratis and Astons. Odd.

DSC00533.jpg
    The ever graceful DH Comet 4C. The first ever jet airliner and later developed into the Nimrod that will be in service with the RAF until 2050 – some 101 years after the first Comet flight in 1949!

DSC00535.jpg
    One of the two complete Buccaneers

DSC00536.jpg
    Jaguar in a rather odd metallic green

DSC00540.jpg
    How did this thing ever fly?? It was used for transporting sections of Airbus airliners from around around Europe to the assembly line in France. We went inside and it is HUGE. Incredible

DSC00558.jpg
    Thumper chilling out in the Comet

DSC00602.jpg
    Our very own Top Gun…Thumper

DSC00627.jpg
    Oddly this Donkey was just wondering around one of the hangars where two BAC Lightnings are stored

DSC00628.jpg
    He seemed to like Thumper…

DSC00630.jpg
    Fully operational but not allowed to fly…the lightning…1400+ mph!

A fascinating place and only £5 to get in. I could of spent all day there and will go back at some point!

HippoDrones
    Participant

great pics (as usual) [:)]

Can’t believe those supercars were just gathering dust! [:O]

Champs
    Participant

That aircraft with the bulge is the Beluga, fairly sure its named after the Beluga Whale and not the Russian Submarine.

https://www.metacafe.com/watch/864812/airbus_beluga_super_transporter_airplane_at_air_show/

BigBen
    Participant

pahahahahah. gret pics there, i like the fact it goes in order from fastest vehicle to slowest, jet plane to supercar to donkey :P
    looks like a good day out.we have elvington over this way, same sort of deal but we have helicopters too

Radar

quote:

Originally posted by Champs

That aircraft with the bulge is the Beluga, fairly sure its named after the Beluga Whale and not the Russian Submarine.

https://www.metacafe.com/watch/864812/airbus_beluga_super_transporter_airplane_at_air_show/

The Beluga is the one that replaced the one at Bruntingthorpe. The Beluga is based on the current Airbus, the Super Guppy as the example Bruntingthorpe is known is based on an old Boeing Constellation

Beluga:

Radar

quote:

Originally posted by benji_zx10r

pahahahahah. gret pics there, i like the fact it goes in order from fastest vehicle to slowest, jet plane to supercar to donkey :P
    looks like a good day out.we have elvington over this way, same sort of deal but we have helicopters too

There were a couple of helicopters there too, a Bristol Scout amongst others and a Gyro-copter like the one used in the Bond films

Radar

quote:

Originally posted by Pete247

great pics (as usual) [:)]

Can’t believe those supercars were just gathering dust! [:O]

They looked like Repos or Stolen recovered, just being stored there

Champs
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Radar
    The Beluga is the one that replaced the one at Bruntingthorpe. The Beluga is based on the current Airbus, the Super Guppy as the example Bruntingthorpe is known is based on an old Boeing Constellation

Airbus using a Boeing airplane? Last week I read that Bill Gates uses Apple Macs at home. The worlds gone mad. The taxman will be giving me money soon.

Radar

quote:

Originally posted by Champs

quote:

Originally posted by Radar

Airbus using a Boeing airplane? Last week I read that Bill Gates uses Apple Macs at home. The worlds gone mad. The taxman will be giving me money soon.

I know, apparently Boeing used to boast that every Airbus had needed a Boeing to get it built!

TT07
    Participant

I didn’t realise that the place was open to the public for us to look around, I will have to take a trip there too. No chance of a speed test on the runway eh!

Radar

quote:

Originally posted by TT07

I didn’t realise that the place was open to the public for us to look around, I will have to take a trip there too. No chance of a speed test on the runway eh!

I would recommend it! I wouldn’t mind going again myself.

I have more pics that I can post if people want…

As for speed testing on the runway – look out for the roaming donkey!

Radar
    BigBen
    Participant

upon closer inspection of said donkey i think its a horse actually…just a short legged one
    probably wrong but im still laughing at the fact it was just wandering around

md24v4
    Participant

agreed! thats no donkey!

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Damn, I was looking forward to the ass jokes in the caption contest.

Looks like a good lads day out, good pics Mr R.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.