Remove my lid…er…NO

Home Forums BikeMeet Cafe Remove my lid…er…NO

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    CGR Bike Gear
    Participant

Picture the scene…Waltzing through the revolving doors of a well known supermarket peeling off gloves, pulling up the majority of the visor on my caberg trip helmet and making my way to grab a hand basket. Nothing out of the ordinary, do it all the time.

Striding along in my general direction comes Mr. Official (Security Officer and Police Officer wannabe)who immediately, pointing finger at helmet issues the stern instruction….”take that off in ere mate”.

I pause then reply, “NO thanks!” The look of shock on his face, followed by the obvious brain malfunction made him just stand and stare at me, so I wandered off. Not detered by my refusal he pursues me into the bread section and again says “oi you have to remove your hemet in here mate”.

I really dislke being called mate, by anyone who isn’t my mate and so I then see my ar*e. “Listen”, says I, “you see this helmet? its designed so that you can see my face. Your rules are for security reasons and I am not posing a security threat, so I’m not taking it off and you had better go and get the manager”.[:(!] Off he scuttles.

I am in the veg-section getting spuds when said manager and security officer catch up with me. The manger approaches and say (get this)”whats the problem?” (like I had one). “I don’t have a problem, says I, but you’re going to have one very shortly. You security guy there is spoiling my shopping experience.[:D] Keeps harrasing me into removing my helmet. Tried to explain that this helmet allows everyone to see my face and that I don’t pose a threat but he won’t listen”. “Er…well said the manager its company policy I am afraid”. “Really!! says I, tell you what, you apologise now and I will smile and just laugh it off. Tell me I will have to take it off or leave and I will leave. Then I will write to every motorcycle paper in the country and say that you discriminate against Bikers and refuse their custom. Then I will go to the papers and have them question why your policies prevent me, with my full face on display from shoping here and yet let other shoppers walk around with only their eyes visible. You want me to remove my headwear but you allow others including some staff to wear theirs. Might be a career decision this, I would give it some thought[:(!]

The manager paused (tenths of a second) then said “I am sorry for the inconvenience I meant that it was company policy for visored or tinted helmets to be removed. Sorry, I will tell the security its ok.

Job done. Never remove my helmet these days, not even in banks. Great helmet and even better finding that the system works for us bikers.[:D]

Anyone else suffered from “can’t wear that in ere mate” syndrome?

TT07
    Participant

Yes I had the usual “Next time you come in please remove your (fullface) helmet” at a service station (aka Government Revenue collection point), I asked why and he said cos its company policy and if you dont you will be refused to be served, to which I replyed you wouldnt ask if I was wearing a burka, he chose to ignore what I said. That servicice station, Somerfield in Leominster, will now not dispense without helmet removal at the pump. I enquired at our local Texaco in Bewdley (the sole garage in town), asking the only member of staff who insists, what if I’m only paying by cash? He said the same rule applies. Last year I took the trouble to e-mail all of the fuel supplying companies (from memory- I deleted them last week – there is only about 8) enquiring of their policy about crash helmet removal, there was no standard reply some went into detail and some didn’t, basically they all said all types of headgear that cover the face in any way must be removed on security grounds that includes baseball caps. As we know as far as garages go its just down to the individual employee on the till at the time. Yes I like you feel aggreaved at times

BigBen
    Participant

Or you could have just removed it saving all the hassle and the long story to be typed up?

In York theres no bother with removing lids going into shops etc but i still remove mine as it polite

TT07
    Participant

As far as I go on this line YES I remove mine when I realise it will become a problem and dont remove it when going into garages where there is not a problem. The removal can become tedious at times if your going equipped with under helmet plus sat-nav earpiece and seperate bike to bike comms as both leads have to disconnected/re-connected, plus the sat-nav looses its link with the blue tooth dongle so requires reconnecting on the screen, all this to show your face when you’ve done nothing wrong! I have been told that if its too much of a problem removing my helmet then use the pay at pump facilities as your card details are checked prior to receiving the juice.

Radar

Oddly enough I have always removed my lid when going into garages or shops…dont know why. I don’t have a huge problem with it tbh

max
    Participant

(Security Officer and Police Officer wannabe)who immediately, pointing finger at helmet issues the stern instruction….”take that off in ere mate”.

lol im a security officr,
    if some one asked me to take it off i would, dont see the prob[:o)]
    why dose every one take it out on the security lol we have a job to do.

HippoDrones
    Participant

vote with ya feet, tis my opinion, if they dont want your cash, don’t give it to them!

CGR Bike Gear
    Participant

The whole issue is not a problem it is a joke. I wear a helmet that negates the need for the removal. The reason cited for the removal of helmets in every place is one of “for security reasons”. So as a helmet wearer you are automatically considered a security risk. Now my helmet lets the person speaking to me see my whole face. So there is no problem. Only the one created by someone trying to enforce a rule that would be proven discriminatory.

It’s like the ban in shopping centres on “hoodies”, society has lost the plot somewhat.

Max, the security person in question is known to me. The statement was not aimed at security people in general (although some fit the bill quite nicely) but this particular Retail officer. If you knew me and my background you would appreciate that I favour security and believe it or believe it not, security measures.

This no helmet policy does not deter the crook in the slightest. Where’s the sign that says “no womens tights to be worn over heads or no balaclavas to be worn in here” statistically these items are used more frequently than helmets (which as a helmet wearer, if you consider how awkward they are to work in would be one of the last disguises you would use).

My point was only to engage in debate about the inconsistent policies and deliberate discrimination. Pehaps they could have a leave your helmet and gloves here point. Then we could shop with both hands free.

BigBen
    Participant

i still dont personally see the problem with just removing it, most bikes have a clip to leave your lid on..if not lock it to the front wheel using your bike lock…if you dont lock your bike then you probably should

CGR Bike Gear
    Participant

or just keep it on my head in the (dry) bank benji. At no point is this a problem for me. My Caberg helmet has been accepted in banks, building society, the post office and local garage without so much as a glance from anyone. This supermarket had a policy that when challenged didn’t hold water. I am not questioning whether you have a problem with removing your helmet or not. I was raising the question of inconsistent policies and the fact that given the alleged security reason, whether this is discriminatory against bikers. As has been pointed out at least twice on this thread there are members of the shopping public that the same organisations would not dare ask to remove their headress (as they have less face visible). If the policy states except for religious attire, then maybe we should worship biking….oh I already do!

I am fully aware of what other options I have, but that is me having to make an allowance, where others do not. It’s only a debate Benji, not a personal right or wrong thing. Perhaps your right, sorry I started the thread now.

Radar

Never be sorry to start a thread CGR…debate is healthy even if people do not always have the same view on things

max
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Radar

Never be sorry to start a thread CGR…debate is healthy even if people do not always have the same view on things

wot he said[:D]

BigBen
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by CGR Bike Gear

I am fully aware of what other options I have, but that is me having to make an allowance, where others do not.

unfortunately because of this bullcrap country we live in we all have to make allowances. none of its right but thats life.

CGR Bike Gear
    Participant

How about the someone making allowances for bikers for once…?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.