Norton F1

Home Forums British beef Norton F1

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Radar

Anybody remember this ill-fated rotary engined sports bike from the late 1980’s? Actually saw one today when I was on the M42 junction for the A4097 and 446, and it was in absolutely mint condition. Rider even had matching JPS leathers on. Sounded glorious as it sped away from me (I was in my diesel Pueugeot). Shame it was such a flop. The current CBR600 in 1988 was 1/2 the price and quicker…

Donate – Or Imperial Data will have you sorted!

Digger
    Participant

yes I remember them,I watched the race version win numerous races witch gave Trevor Nation the MCN rider of the year.Also Nation and Robert Dunlop raced them at the I.O.M.There was a third rider who road for JPS Norton and his name was Steve Spray.Many say the rotaryw**kel 588 engine was alot bigger but there was no proof as the capacity was hard to measure.I still have`nt heard a sweeter sounding bike as the JPS race bike.

Take it easy out there

Radar

I was at Snetterton in 1987 during their debut season and the interest was at fever pitch. The Black and Gold JPS bikes also whipped the Honda RC30 and Yamaha OW 01 at the “Race of Aces” in 1989, and the local TV station showed it. The speed of the Norton’s was awesome on the main straight they just blitzed the Japanese 750’s. I still have the meeting coverage on video, awesome.

GSF K1
    Participant

I remember watching a race on the TV with the rotary Nortons.. what a sound, even over my TV you could tell the sweet tune they made! Pretty awsome looking bikes too.

Bring them back!!

To “ERR” is natural.. to really fowl things up needs a politician!!

rocketRichy
    Participant

They have a couple of the race bikes at the Motorcycle Museum near the NEC, I believe they survived the fire. Also the bike cops round here (West Mids) used to use them I recall.

Keep it lit

Radar

I remember the West Mids Plod bikes, my Dad got pulled over by a copper riding one!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.