KTM250 EXC F 2009 Review

Home Forums Supermoto and off-road KTM250 EXC F 2009 Review

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 78 total)
  • Author
    HippoDrones
    Participant

I got some rather more sturdy handguards off my local KTM dealer that are designed for the bars I have fitted, and also a sumpguard off a shop on ebay. The both look the business and I think after today the sumpguard has shown its use and I’ve so far not drop tested the new handguards! :D

DSC00700-1.jpg

DSC00703-1.jpg

Both were a piece of wee-wee to fit, I just gotta clean all the mud from between the sump and the guard now! :D :D :D

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Nice add-ons Pete. Hand and sump guards should (will!) definitely save money in the long run.

HippoDrones
    Participant

Hope so! :D

HippoDrones
    Participant

This bike is looney-toon, am loving riding it and it is soooooo quick on the dirt!

I’m a bit battered as I had an off last weekend after trying to do a jump in neutral :$ lol

New lid and have also replaced some plastics and fitted a 20mm lower seat to aid getting on and off. I fitted these bits last night in the dark and it included removing the forks, this bike is so easy to work on. After my off I had twisted the forks but they have straightened now :)

The new plastics are looking really good (they are not black, theay are very very very dark orange honest! ;)

Before swapping bits:
    DSC00019-5.jpg

Although its dark here I did start just as it was getting dark so it didn’t take that long to do:
    DSC00020.jpg
    DSC00021-4.jpg

Radar

Dark orange? Isn’t that a chocolate?

HippoDrones
    Participant

Its not Terry’s, its mine! :p

LOL

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Looks menacing in black. Avoids the Flymo jokes which is the important thing.

HippoDrones
    Participant

hehehee ty mate :)

Radar

I only aimed the odd flymo joke at your 625…

HippoDrones
    Participant

This bike seems to love all the abuse I throw at it. On the enduro I took part in on Boxing day I hit a tree and the bike just shrugged it off like it was just a twig! lol

Its using a bit of oil at the moment but I think that could be the valve seats so when I have the dosh to replace them I shall get that done and hopefully it’ll stop acting like a 2stroke lol. It was also leaking a bit of fork oil when I loaded it back into the bus, am gonna see if its just a bit of trapped grit or if the seals need replacing. If they need changing its still standing up to my ham-fistedness very well considering!

I do wish still that I’d gotten a 125 2stroke tho as I’d have found that so much less tiring to ride due to being 15kg lighter and also when you are off the throttle taking it gently the bike wouldn’t slow as much on engine braking which unsettles the bike a bit. This bike needs to be ridden and I don’t have the stamina yet to be able to do it justice. I love it to bits but with my ability I do think a small 2stroke would be better for me!

Radar

You are getting your monies worth and no mistake. Going for the 125cc stroker for next season maybe??

HippoDrones
    Participant

either that or the 200 2T, not sure yet! :)

HippoDrones
    Participant

Think if I do change enduro bikes I’ll stick with 4stroke now, the 2strokes are bonkers fun but for the sort of riding I’ve given this bike in the last year the only thing I really feel I’ve missed out on is bottom end grunt. To remedy that an EXC400-F would be more than enough yet still user friendly and around the same weight as this 250. I havn’t got the funds now to upgrade tho as I’ve just got the new van and am about to get a supermoto (if I ever decide which one it is I actually want!) lol and am about to buy my first house too so not gonna be any spare cash loafing about unfortunately.

I’ve not ridden this bike properly in about 6months I guess now thanks to my job, I am hoping to get back out in the dirt over the next 2wks tho, be funny to see how much I’ve forgotten how to ride the mud. The bike is now sorn so I can’t use it on the road anymore which means I can’t really get away with green laning unless I re-tax it and insure it. Hopefully either Gingers farm on Sunday if I’m sober enough or maybe Golding Barn (where I did my first ever taste at the muddy stuff on the Yamaha Offroad Experience) if I can get down there on Wed next week :D

HippoDrones
    Participant

Just a quick input from me as to how the bike is going….

ITS NOT!!!

It is currently in a million pieces in a friends garage after he has tried getting it through its 40hr service to find that from new KTM had fitted the wrong piston to the barrel and now the cylinder is even more barrel shaped! [:(]

I am really impressed with the work my mate Paul has done to the bike so will try and cut/paste his blog into here for you to read up on his spanner time.

HippoDrones
    Participant

quote:

…Special friends.
    03/05/2010 | 11:24
    None of this would be possible or happening without some of the best friends going, i’ll never be able to thank Petey enough for lending me his bike, or my girlfriend Catherine for mostly putting up with me talking bike at the most inappropriate times and for generally stepping up to help me out even when she doesn’t feel like it.

Thank you

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 78 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.