Honda Celebrates 50th Anniversary of Super Cub

Home Forums Jap stuff Honda Celebrates 50th Anniversary of Super Cub

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    TT07
    Participant

hondasupercubcelebration.jpg

Its been mentioned before about how many C100 Super Cubs have been rolling off the assembly lines, first 50 million, then recently they passed 60 million and now Honda held a celebration at Honda’s Kumamoto Factory where Super Cub is produced in Japan to commemorate the 50th anniversary of Super Cub production.

Honda began making the Super Cub C100 in August of 1958, a 49cc, 4.5 hp single cylinder 4 stroke and the rest is motorcycle history. In 1961 production began in Taiwan, the first location outside of Japan and currently it’s being produced in 16 plants in 15 countries. Who would have thought this little machine would become as popular and long lasting as it has? It still ignites memories for many riders who remember their first ride on a Super Cub, me included, I wonder how long it will continue to help keep people on 2 wheels?

From Honda:

“The reason we have been able to continue producing and selling Super Cub for 50 years, which is quite a long time, is because of our customers who enjoy using Super Cub every day,” said Takeo Fukui, president & CEO of Honda Motor Co, Ltd. “I would also like to thank Honda associates who have supported the history of Super Cub. Super Cub has continuously advanced to accommodate the needs and preferences of people throughout the world, and cumulative worldwide production of Cub series motorcycles reached the 60 million-unit milestone in April of this year. Moreover, in this year of the 50th anniversary of Super Cub, a new motorcycle plant has been built at this Kumamoto Factory, and the transfer of motorcycle production to the new plant will be completed within this year. I expect Kumamoto Factory to serve as the global leader of Honda’s motorcycle production operations around the world and to continue providing our customers with products that create new value.”

Key milestones of Honda Super Cub Series:
    August 1958 – Sales of Super Cub C100 began Production site: Yamato Plant (later became Saitama Factory Wako Plant)
    1959 – Exports to the U.S. began
    1960 – Production at Suzuka Factory began
    1961 – Cumulative production reached 1 million-unit milestone
    Production based on component parts sets began in Taiwan (first production outside of Japan)
    1964 – Sales of Super Cub C65 (the first OHC engine) began
    1966 – Sales of Super Cub C50 (OHC engine) began
    1967 – Cumulative production reached 5 million-unit milestone
    1974 – Cumulative production reached 10 million-unit milestone
    1983 – Fuel consumption of 180km/liter (30km/h constant-speed test value) achieved (Super Cub 50 Super Custom)
    1988 – Sales of Press Cub began
    1991 – Production was transferred to Kumamoto Factory
    1992 – Cumulative production reached 20 million-unit milestone
    1997 – Sales of Little Cub began
    2005 – Cumulative production reached 50 million-unit milestone
    2007 – An electronically-controlled fuel injection system, Honda’s PGM-FI, was installed on Super Cub 50, Press Cub 50 and Little Cub.
    2008 – Cumulative production reached 60 million-unit milestone (April)

Transcribed from “The Kneeslider”

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Wow, what other vehicle gets a 50 year production run?

Think there’s a video on YouTube about how indestructible they are. People dropping them from tall buildings and getting back on and riding them away again.

I’ve had a few over the years and they are pretty hard to kill. Believe me, I’ve tried.

Radar
    TT07
    Participant

Just found out there was a Honda song from the mid 60’s featuring the C50.

This ones by The Hondells.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqKi_9p1zks

Even The Beach Boys did the same number.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wCubT4Z9LA&feature=fvw

Even Irish Comedy Singer Richie Kavanaghs done a number named The Little Honda 50.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylS3wLydDRY&feature=related

Radar

That last one is plain odd lol!

Celtic Cruiser
    Participant

Hi guys. I’m fixing up a 1972 C50 and need some help getting parts, particularly a new grey and White seat cover. Any ideas?

HippoDrones
    Participant

wouldn’t mind a tricked up C90 as a run about to be honest, cheap as chips and bullet proof practically [:)]

Sorry CC, can’t help you source a new cover. Have you thought about getting one custom made?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.