Hello

Home Forums Members’ bikes Hello

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Lion
    Participant

Totally new to the bike scene and looking for some advice please from the people in the know [;)]

Been looking into my bike test ever since i was 16, but then realising you have to be 21 I’m stuck with a car [V] However the time has finally come [:D] 21st next year.
    So i would just like some advise please on what i need to do.
    I know i need to take a cbt (which i will get out of the way asap), get another theory done and of course the full test.

But how do i apply for the theory? And where do i apply? I’ve searched about and cant find any info that tells me.

Also Whats a good bike to start with? I was thinking about a Kawasaki GPZ 500cc, what do you reckon / advise?

Thanks for any help!

Radar

Welcome Lion. The new learner laws I quite a maze. I think that once you have taken your CBT that you can ride a 125cc bike before you a 21. Indeed if you pass your full licence you can go on to a larger machine, assuming can afford to pay the insurance.
    PM Born2Bmild, Leviathanran and Mattzappa all have current experience of the CBT etc.

BTW a GPz500 would make a good first larger machine

barmy_carmy
    Participant

Hi Lion, Welcome lol! Good luck lol!

Digger
    Participant

welcome to the bike forum mate,take a pew and mingle.

Gix
    Participant

Hi Lion welcome to TBF.
    You could have taken your test when you were 17 but you would have been on a restricted lisence for 2 years(think its 33bhp but not entirely sure), after which time you could have moved onto bigger bikes.
    You have a choice now tho, you can take CBT and buy a little 125cc and ride around and get some road experience on it, then take either your full DAS test, or you could do DAS test now and go onto what ever bike you wish for, or you could take CBT- then restricted test and ride restricted for either 2 years or until you wish to go down the route of Accelerated Access (another test to enable you to ride anything).
    If I were you I would do CBT and get a 125 for the winter to get some experience on, then take DAS early next spring/summer and be able to ride what you wish.
    Which ever way you choose, good luck and keep us updated on your progress.

Lion
    Participant

Actually that sounds like the sort of thing i might do mate! As i was worried about jumping straight on a 500 with the winter approaching. Thanks for the info! :D
    Next thing is, whats something cheap and good in a 125? Dont want a scooter type thing though, and of course i’ll keep you updated! :)
    Cheers!

Gix
    Participant

Theres plenty out there mate, honda cg125’s, varedero125’s, zook gs/gn/gz125’s, aprilia’s…. it all depends on what style you might want and to some extent your own physical size.

Born2BMild
    Participant

Hiya Mate, welcome to the forum. Totally agree with Gix. Thats what I did and it seem to work out quite well, though you do tend to pick up bad habits while riding around on 125 before the DAS. None that can’t be ironed out though during the DAS itself. One thing I would suggest though. Don’t do the 5,4 or 3 day intensive course as I did. Spread the DAS course out over a couple of weeks. I felt burned out when it came time to take me test or tests. It also gives you more time to reflect and what your learning. Best of luck with it mate.

Lion
    Participant

Cheers mate :D yeah think i’ll do it that way round. Just waiting on flux to get back with some quotes now! :)

Big_Katz
    Participant

welocme lion (are we related hence the name [:p][;)])

i’m sure you will get plenty of advice…

great bunch in here

good luck…

o by the way where are you from?

Lion
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Big_Katz

welocme lion (are we related hence the name [:p][;)])

i’m sure you will get plenty of advice…

great bunch in here

good luck…

o by the way where are you from?

Hahaha top name!! [;)]
    Thanks for the welcome! Seems a good forum so far!
    And i’m from lincoln,Lincolnshire hun. [:)]

ScooterChic
    Participant

welcome to the forum

GSF K1
    Participant

Howdy Lion. Welcome to the nut-house.

Go down to your local bike accessory shop and ask about local instructor groups.. they’ll have loads of local advice for you.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.