FZ600 Back from the dead…with piccies!

Home Forums Members’ bikes FZ600 Back from the dead…with piccies!

Viewing 13 posts - 76 through 88 (of 88 total)
  • Author
    Radar

Well there is bad news…and good news!!!

Hacked over to the MOT station and while the examiner poured over the bike I paced up and down outside like a nervous expectant father. When I was eventually called in the news wasn’t good…the FZ had failed. But if I could fix the fault in the next couple of hours he could retest the bike! So I headed home and and set to…

Picture002.jpg
    The rear brake lever and footrest had become seized together and whenever the brake is operated the whole lot was rotating: Hence failure

Picture004-1.jpg
    So off with the whole assembly and I stripped it all down

Picture005-1.jpg
    Once apart it was obvious why it was seized!

Picture007-1.jpg
    I cleaned and regreased everything, put it back on the FZ. After a bit of a fight with the spring that actuates the rear brake light switch all was well once more.

Back on the bike and back to the garage with 10 mins to spare. He checked over my work and gave it the the thums up! So the FZ now boasts 12 months MOT!!

Cheers to Katana and the lads who blasted and welded my zorst.

Looking forward to sticking a few miles on my 80’s classic once again!

HippoDrones
    Participant

nice one, happy riding! :D

Radar

Cheers Pete, I will keep the forum updated of the bikes adventures over the next few months

BigBen
    Participant

right its taken a couple of months but ive finally got to the end of this thread, the bike looks fantastic, shame about it failing first time but at least you got it through the 2nd time. MD24V4 has a funny story about failing MOT’s and having to go back a couple of hours later. its well worth asking him about.
    top stuff

Radar

quote:

Originally posted by benji_zx10r

right its taken a couple of months but ive finally got to the end of this thread, the bike looks fantastic, shame about it failing first time but at least you got it through the 2nd time. MD24V4 has a funny story about failing MOT’s and having to go back a couple of hours later. its well worth asking him about.
    top stuff

Cheers for the feedback Benji. I will be taxing the FZ from 1st April and then using it as a commuter hack for a bit.

Get MD24V4 to post his MOT story, more input always welcome!

BigBen
    Participant

good stuff, tax is the only thing i can afford to put on my bike..haha
    he tried to post it but it didnt work apparently…so ill tell the story later on..trying to fiddle with this hard drive still as i have a comp that might fix it now..its worth the wait though…bloody hilarious:))

Radar

This what she sounds like after all the welding on the pipes:

https://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j289/Radarspit/?action=view&current=MOV00124.flv

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Oh yes!

BigBen
    Participant

right so here we are the imfamous story of the MOT failure…
    it was a nice sunny day long long ago, MD24V4 had the morning off work to MOT his bike…i had….my life off cos im a peasant quite obviously so i went with him…any excuse to ride my bike. we got there in high spirits…thinking “yeah this is gunna pass” plus we had both been working on it…then the bad news hit that it had failed…and why was a bit of a mystery.. the MOT tester said that the brakes wernt working properly on one side…upon closer inspection it turned out that instead of one pad being either side of the disc both pads were on the same side, so the piston was essentially rubbing the disc.

MD had mentioned that the brakes felt a bit odd but thought nothing more of it, a quick trip back to my garage was in order and we got it back within an hour and it passed…it made me laugh..and just for the record it was MD that put the front calipers on…..not me :P

TT07
    Participant

So essentialy that morning the bike was running with 5 pistons!

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Brilliant. Honda will probably develop that idea and bring it out as a feature like ‘Single Side Twin Pad Braking’.

BigBen
    Participant

you never know, stranger things have happened

Radar

Had a first proper ride out on the old girl today in company with Ses310 and Thumper. She OK, but the carbs need balancing and I thick it is running rich too. Great fun though…I love 80’s bikes!

Viewing 13 posts - 76 through 88 (of 88 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.