fuel leak

Home Forums Motorcycle help wanted fuel leak

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    jay b
    Participant

i have a fuel leak on my piaggio zip 50
    do not know what the problem is.
    i can start the bike but fuel leaks out of the carb it does that also if the ignition is off it still leaks.
    fuel leaks out of the carb and also if i take the exhaust off it leaks out of there too.

if you could please reply i would be gratefull

thank you

HippoDrones
    Participant

hiya.

Does the bike have a fuel tap? If so it is worth switching the fuel off after each ride! Might not be your problem, but it should stop it leaking all the same :)

jay b
    Participant

yea it has not got a fuel tap on it

HippoDrones
    Participant

not sure mate to be honest then, but any fuel leaking into the engine will reach the zorst.

Is the bike new? ie under warenty still?

GSF K1
    Participant

I dont know these bikes to be honest, but if theres no fuel tap it may have a vacuum valve to ensure fuel only flows when the engine turns over, BUT the rubber diaphragm can perrish and this enables petrol to leak directly into the engine manifold, pouring out of the carbs and filling the engine with fuel.

HippoDrones
    Participant

good point well made, that could be it… or maybe some crud has got down to the diafrgm from your tank? could cause it to leak fuel

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Sounds like it could be a carburettor float problem. The float may not be closing the fuel intake because of some crud in the way or incorrect height setting. Usually this requires a strip down of the carb and then a good clean out. Finally a reset of the float height and a reassemble. A flush of the fuel tank wouldn’t hurt afterwards too.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.