Am I meant to a biker?

Home Forums BikeMeet Cafe Am I meant to a biker?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Born2BMild
    Participant

Don’t think I meant to be a biker. After the off while out riding with Gix a couple of weeks ago, tonight bike got punted from some nobhead behind me while I was waiting at a roundabout. Not much, just a jolt against the rear tyre. Thats three offs, two bikes nicked, one ripped boot by white van man and rear ender in two years. Someone somewhere is trying to tell me something!

sid
    Participant

mate only you can decide something like that its not really a question others can answer for you
    if your confidence has taken a knock take stock and decide for yourself dont let others influence you as it wont be your decision based on your feelings it’ll be a decision based on the pressure of your peers

Billy
    Participant

just a couple of points mate, sounds to me like you need to work on your road sences, and maybe riding with someone as experianced as gix is not really for you mate…have you thought about a bike safe day or riding with an IM instructor?…you got to find your own riding style and going out with someone thets more experianced can be a dangerous thing for both of you..whatever you decide to do mate..do it safely

Gix
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by chilli

just a couple of points mate, sounds to me like you need to work on your road sences, and maybe riding with someone as experianced as gix is not really for you mate…have you thought about a bike safe day or riding with an IM instructor?…you got to find your own riding style and going out with someone thets more experianced can be a dangerous thing for both of you..whatever you decide to do mate..do it safely

ah cheers mate, Mike knows I wouldnt put him under pressure, he knows…especially as I keep telling him when ever he is about to ride out with me, to ride his own ride and not worry about what I am doing, to ride for himself, he knows that if he feels uncomfortable with the way the ride is progressing I will adjust to however he feels comfortable.
    Everyone benefits from advanced instruction, worth looking into Mike. I do however, feel you have been a little unfortunate, and trust me, I know bad luck. Last time you dropped the bike you were tired, it may have been best to have left the bike at home that day, but you are still here, a little bruised and battered, the bike is not too bad from the experience, and thats what it was, chalk it up to experience hun. Get some advanced lessons, things will come together in the end, it will all come right, you just need to brush yourself down and learn from it. [;)]

Billy
    Participant

It wasnt ment as a slight on the way you ride Gix, what i was trying to say was that some people need to ride with others of the same ability as themselfs. and i know that you wouldnt put anyone underpressure to keep up(cos your an old mother hen)..even when leading a rideout an inexperianced rider is feeling pressure because he/she knows the more experianced rider can see all their faults..anyway only my 2p worth

Radar

B2BM you are showing a good attitude my examining your own riding. Don’t over do it, luck can be be a hard mistress sometimes. I had three accidents in a week many years ago. Experience is the key and as your miles build your capability and confidence will grow with it. My only thought is that maybe sports bikes are not the best kind of machine for you. Have you tried out any other kinds of machine? Biking has many facets and all of them are enjoyable. Try a few different bikes and see how you feel.

max
    Participant

every one has bad days on ther bike mate, some days when I go out on my bike every van car bus and them damn scooters are out to kill me.
    try going out for a ride by yourself a long ride clock up some miles and you’ll soon get to know your bike.”coming off a bike is an experience you won’t forget”[:D] a learning experience.

Thumper
    Participant

I think Radar makes a very good point B2BM. Being comfortable is absolutely key to your riding, and ultimately will enhance your technique and confidence. There are plenty of bikes that you may really enjoy riding for this reason with a higher handlebar postion, eg/ Bandit, Hornet, Fazer, Zephyer etc.
    Besides, they’re fast enough bud.
    Something to think about isn’t it, and a good excuse to take some tes rides!
    You never know until you try them.

LeviathanRan
    Participant

what can i say m8? Biking is a bitch and so is life, we pay our money and take our chances.

Chin up and get on with it! :)

Born2BMild
    Participant

Thanks for the replies. Lots of good and valuable advice. Taking everything that’s been said onboard, I realise that more leisure riding and for longer distances is required rather than mostly commuting. I’d always intended to clock up some miles for experience and then do some additional training, but somehow never get round to riding out on a most of the weekends I could. I need to make more of an effort to get out more, methinks.

sid
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Born2BMild

Thanks for the replies. Lots of good and valuable advice. Taking everything that’s been said onboard, I realise that more leisure riding and for longer distances is required rather than mostly commuting. I’d always intended to clock up some miles for experience and then do some additional training, but somehow never get round to riding out on a most of the weekends I could. I need to make more of an effort to get out more, methinks.

no mate forcing yourself to go out is the wrong way
    just go out when you feel like it but change your group as they may be to fast/to advanced or just to intimidating for your current skill level find a group of new riders and gain experiance from each other then move onto advanced training

Radar

quote:

Originally posted by sid

quote:

just go out when you feel like it but change your group as they may be to fast/to advanced or just to intimidating for your current skill level find a group of new riders and gain experiance from each other then move onto advanced training

Sid makes a good point regarding not forcing yourself out when your head is not straight, let the miles build naturally.Commuting is actually a very good way of building up your skills and experience. There is more to biking than fast weekend riding, although this is highly enjoyable under the right circumstances.
    Sid makes a good point regarding not forcing yourself out

Gix
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by sid

quote:

Mike is not the only inexperienced rider in the group, we even have a bloke, also on a gixer6, that has not had his license as long as Mike, as a matter of fact, me, Mike ST and Steven are the only experienced riders of the regular group.
    Only one incident Mike has experienced has been through rider fault, and that was purely because Mike was over tired after driving for hours on end the previous evening from holiday on the south coast, his reactions were not as they should have been and if he had been out on his own it is likely it would still have happened. He is the only person in god knows how many years of riding that has had an off when out with me.
    Mike it is your choice whether you come out with me again, have told you I will go with you without any one else if you feel more comfortable without the others, but thats your choice, if you feel pressured when out with us you need to say, and tell us why.

Radar

I don’t think you should stop riding in groups, but you also need to cover some miles either on your own or with a mentor. Basic rules for group riding for me, make your decisions, especially regarding overtaking and corner speed, and NEVER overtake out of line order.
    I went through a patch last year when my confidence was low, it comes back.

Born2BMild
    Participant

quote:

Mike is not the only inexperienced rider in the group, we even have a bloke, also on a gixer6, that has not had his license as long as Mike, as a matter of fact, me, Mike ST and Steven are the only experienced riders of the regular group.
    Only one incident Mike has experienced has been through rider fault, and that was purely because Mike was over tired after driving for hours on end the previous evening from holiday on the south coast, his reactions were not as they should have been and if he had been out on his own it is likely it would still have happened. He is the only person in god knows how many years of riding that has had an off when out with me.
    Mike it is your choice whether you come out with me again, have told you I will go with you without any one else if you feel more comfortable without the others, but thats your choice, if you feel pressured when out with us you need to say, and tell us why.

You’ve never made feel under pressure, Gix, when we have been riding. On the contrary, having a short ride out one evening after a BP meet, you immediately noticed I was beginning to feel tired at one point and alter your riding accordingly. You’ll always have my utmost respect for that.

The only pressure I do feel is that what I put myself under, buts that true in everything I do. I’ve always felt that if something I’ve done is not 100% successful then I’ve failed. Perfection is such an elusive prey. I’ve probably chosen the most difficult type of bike to master and because of that, the journey in the pursuit of perfection will be more rewarding.

It has been said that if you want to succeed, seek to be amongst those who are successful. That’s why I’ll always appreciate the opportunity to ride with you, Gix. Who better to learn from? Riding a bike, especially a sports bike is not something that should be achieved through trial and error, so the advise of my peers, which I believe accounts for the majority of the members of TBF if not the biking community, will always be sought after and valued.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.