Actuator valve on GSXR 1000 K3

Home Forums Motorcycle help wanted Actuator valve on GSXR 1000 K3

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    jasong321
    Participant

Need some help please, I Recently bought a GSXR 1000 K3, completely std, i have done aprox 200 miles on it and the F1 and managment light has come on. I took it down the local dealership and they plugged it in to get the error code. They advised me it came back with a C46 code which means there is a fault on the valve on the exhaust. Got it priced and they were talking around the £400 mark. however, i have been told it is a common fault on this model of bike and you can diconnect the wire that shows up the fault and leave the valve open and it will not effect anything, been told the valve is there for noise reduction. Anybody got and advice on how to do this? or has anyone had the same problem and could advise on best course of action? Thanks!

Radar

Welcome to the forum. If the valve is there for noise reduction it might be a problem come MOT time. Also it could effect exhaust back pressure and reduce performance. PM forum members Gix and TT07, they bith run GSXR1000 (a K2 and a K7) and might be able to help you more than I can

In the meantime use this link to take a look around the site

https://bikemeet.net/forums/topic/great-posts-pics-across-the-site-part-2/

TT07
    Participant

Welcome to TBF jasong321.

As you have said it appears to be a common problem, which I havent experienced myself and wasn’t previously aware of, and I only realise it as I have just done a Google search! There is an extremely varied amount of advise, a lot of it seems like bad advise, the one I would try unless leaving it to a dealer to sort is : Adjust the cables that control the valve in line with the handbook/manual (they may have meant workshop manual). If the F1 and management lights are still on disconnect/reconnect the battery to clear the report. As I said that is the only thing I would do!.

Again welcome to the site, how about giving us a report on your biking history?

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Hi Jason and welcome to TBF. Not sure on this one so I’ll pass it to the other guys. If you find out meanwhile, please let us know by updating your post. I’d be keen to know if this can be disconnected as you say.

jasong321
    Participant

Originally posted by Radar

Welcome to the forum. If the valve is there for noise reduction it might be a problem come MOT time. Also it could effect exhaust back pressure and reduce performance. PM forum members Gix and TT07, they bith run GSXR1000 (a K2 and a K7) and might be able to help you more than I can

Hi Tony, thanks for the advise, i think i need to look into the MOT implications before i do anything, not thought of that, Cheers. Gix has posted a fix for a similar problem for a K2, will follow that if i can not find an easier fix (if one exists!). Thanks for the welcome as well.

jasong321
    Participant

Hello Dave

I think i will try the adjustment and then the battery, i’m not very technically minded though so it will be an expierience!! :-) But you have to learn sometime i suppose.

As for the biking history, not very exciting i’m afraid. Passed my test just over 2 and a half years ago after trying to persuade my wife for about 5 years to let me do it, she was not keen on me riding to be honest. Before that i had not really ridden at all but caught the bug from my Dad who was an avid Honda fan. Past the test (found it good fun but hard) and bought a GSXR 600 K2 which i had for 2 yrs and was a great bike, easy to ride but i thought quick enough to be fun. It had some nice aftermarket kit on it, Pwr Com, Arrow can, K & N, front sprocket was smaller than std and it was a real pleasure to go for a sunday morning blast or just tootle to work and back. like i say had that for 2 yrs and then decided to upgrade and to be honest, all the guys i go for a ride with swear by the GSXR 1000 and i really liked the styling and the figures on paper. Had a test on one and got hooked, this was after afew other test rides, a Blade and RSVR, nice bikes but the pricing kind of put me of. So, here i am with a K3 GSXR 1000 and, apart from the obvious problem of this valve i must admit it lives up to its reputation so far (or the reputation i have heard anyway). It’s a completely std bike as i thought i would do any mods myself this time just to be a bit more involved. It rides really nice but can be a bit of a beast in the first few gears so need to be careful and then need to be careful about the speed limit when you get into the high gears. All in all, love it and am just trying to get in the miles. Thanks for the advise guys, will keep the site posted when i get it sorted.

Gix
    Participant

Jason, it wont fail the MOT, so long as you have standard can, i did mine and I have better low and midrange, redcar suzuki told me that there are no risks as far as engine damage is concerned, the valve is there simply to get it through EU restrictions. Mine has gone through 2 MOT’s with no valve so dont worry!
    With the K3 IIRC you only need to disable the FI light, so its just a case of taking that specific wire from the ECU plug and disconnecting the servo (bolted to inside of frame on off side) from the wiring harness, am pretty sure you can leave the cables to the EXCVA – SET valve intact as long as the valve is in the open position (with ignition off it should be open as default anyway).

Radar

quote:

Originally posted by Gix

Jason, it wont fail the MOT, so long as you have standard can, i did mine and I have better low and midrange, redcar suzuki told me that there are no risks as far as engine damage is concerned, the valve is there simply to get it through EU restrictions. Mine has gone through 2 MOT’s with no valve so dont worry!
    With the K3 IIRC you only need to disable the FI light, so its just a case of taking that specific wire from the ECU plug and disconnecting the servo (bolted to inside of frame on off side) from the wiring harness, am pretty sure you can leave the cables to the EXCVA – SET valve intact as long as the valve is in the open position (with ignition off it should be open as default anyway).

Told you she would know more than me. Good work Gix, help you get sorted jason. How about some pics of your bike?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.