Yamaha XV950 Bobber – Review and Pics

Home Forums Jap stuff Yamaha XV950 Bobber – Review and Pics

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Radar

I rode the Yamaha MT-09 recently and while it is a great bike the big triple didn't really appeal to me as much as I thought it would. When I dropped the MT back I picked up a brochure for the XV950 range…they look properly cool, especially in black…So when my local bike shop got a demo in I elbowed my way to the front of the queue to blag a go.

I tried the Bobber in black and I think it is a seriously good looking bike, stripped, minimalist…no bullshit. The low seat height obviously suited a stumpy like myself and the footrests were not in too stupid a place. I chugged out onto the greasy mean streets (?) of Worcestershire…these bikes can look a little out of context on a dank, November day in England. Also my riding kit was a bit out of place, my Italian AGV full face crash helmet in racing colours and RST gear looking a bit odd. You should really sport a black 'piss-pot' lid, mirror shades, ratty black denim jacket/jeans combo and battle weary ex-military boots to really look the part.

39993783631_f098c88b2b.jpg
    Great looking bike, especially for a factory fresh machine…

The bike itself is great, that thumping 950cc V twin only puts out 50bhp, but it is enough to make decent progress on this sort of bike without exposing the obvious handling and braking shortcoming inherent to a low-set custom style machine. I was a expecting a bit more grunt low down however and the pipes supplied as standard are way too quiet. In context the bike goes, stops and corners well and you can cut a reasonable lick cross-country picking off dawdling cars whilst trying to look distant and cool. Watch Peter Fonda in Easy Rider for hints and tips…

25123324487_3a2beac295.jpg

I rode the bike up to Bridgnorth, stopped at the cafe and then took in some of the back roads to Bewdley, followed by a brisk dash across the 'switchbacks' to Stourport. All handled with impressive ease. I really liked the bikes looks and attention to detail too, the clocks in particular are just about perfect.  A cracking bike that sort of reminded me of the 2010 Bonnie and 2012 Moto Guzzi V7 I have also ridden recently.

28214735929_6bd86d97c3.jpg
    Is that the best looking set of factory custom clocks? XV at rest on the riverside in Bewdley…good moody shot rather ruined by the green wheelie bin…

Would I buy one? At £7000 the price is not too bad, but I think I might bide my time and wait for a used one with rorty pipes in a couple of years time.

Good work Yamaha, you have nailed the factory 'Bobber' well with this bike

ses310

Great review, glad you enjoyed the bike so much

katana
    Participant

Reckon it suits you. Great write up as usual.

imperialdata
    Keymaster

I’ve definitely warmed to bobbers over the years, but not sure I could live with 50BHP as my main bike. Need to do what you did and take one out for a good spin.  Good looking bike though.

Thanks for the test report!

HippoDrones
    Participant

nice write up buddy, 50bhp may sound puny but it is a strangely usable number, my Husky was loonytoon with just 50 and my Guzzi ate up Europe with it’s 50 too :-)

I took the Harley 48 out for a demo today and had a great time, if everything on it was an inch or 2 closer together I’d consider it but was just too much of a stretch to be comfy for much more than an hour in the saddle

Radar

nice write up buddy, 50bhp may sound puny but it is a strangely usable number, my Husky was loonytoon with just 50 and my Guzzi ate up Europe with it’s 50 too :-)

I took the Harley 48 out for a demo today and had a great time, if everything on it was an inch or 2 closer together I’d consider it but was just too much of a stretch to be comfy for much more than an hour in the saddle

My RD350 only had 61bhp in 1986 and I am sure some of them have wondered off by now! As you say 50bhp is plenty to have fun with.

Be interested to see some pics of the 48, looks good for a HD. I quite like the XR they did for a couple of model years but is no longer availabe

Radar

Still find myself pondering over one of these

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.