valve chatter

Home Forums Motorcycle help wanted valve chatter

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    shipleymag
    Participant

Have a GPX 750 after long ride developed what I thought was valve chatter. Adjusted valve clearances but chatter still there. Didn’t check springs.
    Could it be cam chain tensioner or valve springs.
    Cheers

katana
    Participant

Difficult to say without hearing it. Unlikely to be the springs, if one had broken then the valve would drop and an expensive piston/valve interface situation would develop.

Does the bike run on all cylinders?

When I rebuilt my Kat I hadn’t reset the cam chain adjuster properly and the rattle started about 200 yds up the road and was LOUD.

I’d try resetting the cam chain adjuster. You’ll need a manual as the procedure is a little involved and from my own experience has to be followed to the letter. PM me if you haven’t got one and I’ll scan in the relevant pages and email them to you.

Good luck

Karl

Radar

Do you have a digital camera or mobile phone? You could run the engine, record the noise and post it on here. It would be easier to diagnose that way

imperialdata
    Keymaster

As Kat said, it’s likely to be the cam chain adjuster.

I’m not sure for this engine but I have owned Z750, Z1100 and GPZ750 which all had the ‘auto’ cam chain tensioner that didn’t always auto adjust. The usual trick was to take it off, clean it and stretch the spring a bit. I’m not suggesting you do this mind, as I haven’t looked at your engine’s setup, but wanted to mention that just in case it helps.

katana
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by katana

Difficult to say without hearing it. Unlikely to be the springs, if one had broken then the valve would drop and a expensive piston/valve interface situation would develop.

Does the bike run on all cylinders?

When I rebuilt my Kat I hadn’t reset the cam chain adjuster properly and the rattle started about 200 yds up the road and was LOUD.

I’d try resetting the cam chain adjuster. You’ll need a manual as the procedure is a little involved and from my own experience has to be followed to the letter. PM me if you haven’t got one and I’ll scan in the relevant pages and email them to you.

Good luck

Karl

Sorry mate just reread this for some reason I read GSX instead of GPX – I haven’t got a manual for a GPX. Having a bit of a senior moment.

Found some stuff on Cam chain niose etc here:
    https://reviews.preloved.co.uk/fuseaction-reviews.showreview/productId-1811/48837c84.html

shipleymag
    Participant

Bike seems to run fine, just this chatter. It’s ok I’ve got a manual. I’ll try adjusting the cam chain tensioner and take it from there.
    Thanks

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.