To those who ride offroad…

Home Forums BikeMeet Cafe To those who ride offroad…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Champs
    Participant

One day, I will stop asking questions about our moped enduro racing… but not today!

Next race is in September on a new track. The race is being switched to a grass track.

We have prepped ourselves with a set of brand spanking new 12 inch knobbly tyres, but apart from tyres, anyone know what we should be expecting?

Do we run high or low pressures? Bearing in mind they are tubed.

And what can we expect in the way of the track evolving through the weekend? Grip wise.

I imagine that the grip will start off rubbish while the grass gets chewed up then come okay.

HippoDrones
    Participant

low pressure, I run around 10-15psi on my KTM (but have rim-locks).

If it is dry then the track will probs stay consistent once the grass has been chewed a bit, but may fall away on bits, if wet then expect ruts to form and keep your weight rear when riding, especially through puddles and wet grass will be very slippy.

weight forward for corners, turn in late and push the bike into it but keep yourself upright and as far forward as you can, elbows up and foot out to stabalise and give a prod if you think you are gonna lose the front.

Champs
    Participant

Thats fantastic, thanks very much for the info! Will pass it onto the team!

Radar

How is the prep going Champs?

Champs
    Participant

Well while we are here I will let you know,

Breaking from tradition we started work back in July instead of 1 week before the race.

After a pressure wash, we stripped all the fairings from the bike and begun repairs. We took a massive amount of damage last race with various impacts from getting too close to the tyre chicanes!
    Repairs were a mix of aluminium mesh and plastic cement on the inside of the fairing to hold the damaged sections together and sanding and resraying the outside

IMG_0025.jpg
    IMG_0028.jpg
    SMC_0468.jpg

The engine was stripped out, we were running last race with a damaged air filter (located near the rear wheel) so the engine sucked in a ton of crap. The carb has been soaked in meths and scrubbed clean with an (old) toothbrush, and the engine has been washed out too, with new seals, piston rings and gaskets throughout.

There’s some damage to the piston but budget restrictions limit us here otherwise everything looks in reasonable health.

Main upgrades have been a brand new clutch, larger main fuel jet, heavier clutch springs to hopefully assist with traction and a new primary reduction gear, the new track layout suggests less of a straight so we have lowered the variator rollers from 5g to 4g with the option of 4.5g if required.

New variator slides have been installed as a matter of routine.

IMG_0054.jpg
    IMG_0053.jpg

As above we have some brand new knobbly tyres

IMG_0005.jpg

And most importantly a new decal

IMG_0031.jpg

there’s some cosmetics still need doing but we are ready to go!

IMG_0065.jpg

Radar

I particularly like the pile of beer cans!! Good update and good luck in the race

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.