Suzuki GSXS1000 ABS Review

Home Forums Jap stuff Suzuki GSXS1000 ABS Review

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Speed Monster
    Participant

Well it took me a bit longer than i’d originally anticipated to get out on one but i finally did it last Saturday as those great peeps from Suzuki had an open day at Loomies.
    I played it cool and turned up towards the end of the day so i stood more of a chance. The plan worked, i only had to wait for the ride that was out to get back to the cafe and i was out on the next one, 30 mins later.
    Paperwork done, licence checked and dotted line scribbled on, I was shown the bike.

https://www.suzuki-gb.co.uk/gsx-s1000abs/

Let’s get the bad bits out of the way first.

Anybody who’s ridden a K5 (2005) or later GSXR will know all about the jerky throttle when you’ve got the twist grip opened slightly just above idle. It’s the same on the GSXS.

The clutch lever really does need a span adjuster to give better clutch control. The first thing i’d have to do to the bike is fit a set of pazzo stubby levers. I wasn’t the only one to say this on the day.

Right onto the good bits!

Anybody who thinks this isn’t a good looking bike really does need to go to specsavers! It’s a babe! Zuki have got the styling absolutely spot on! There’s three colour choices, black, red or blue. I’m a massive fan of the blue personally. It’s a gorgeous paint job.

Suzuki%20GSXs1000%20Rob%20G_zpsgeaklurk.jpg
    Deep blue delight
    Starting the engine brings out a familiar noise….. the sound of a Gixxer K5 1000. It’s the same lump albeit tweaked and fettled slightly to better suit the bike, the full power kick is pointless on this…..200mph on a naked street fighter…… it’s gonna stretch your neck a bit. You still get the 145bhp & 83ftlbs but it’s delivered in a different way. You open the taps, it still takes off. I found myself having to back off quite a few times as i was catching up quickly to the girl in front of me who was testing this years GSXR 750.
    This was no bad thing though, it gave me a chance to play around with the gearbox. Nothing out of the ordinary here, usual 1 down, 5 up, but it was very smooth.
    Also had a play around with the 3 mode TCS. As we set off, i had it in mode 3, the most active of them, opened the taps, nothing. The tyres must have still been warm from the previous run! So, i flicked into mode 1. Opened the taps in third. Still nothing! I think this needs a second run to be fully tested. Oh well. It’s an ‘ard life isn’t it?

Talking about opening the taps, there’s one thing i love about gixxers above anything else. It’s the induction growl when you open the throttle up. It sounds like big machine gun in the air box…… i love it!! The GSXS does it too! It just makes you push harder, just as well the bike handles really well, it feels planted as gixxers do, it’s really easy to hold on the line you put it. But, having said this, it does lack the flickability that i found on the S1000R, that one somehow feels lighter and easier to throw around.

Overall, i really do like this bike. I’d buy one quite happily without a second thought. It’s fast, it’s smooth, it’s comfortable and a real joy to ride. The list of official extras is growing quickly too, Yoshi have already done a nice cone tail pipe for it, there was one on the one i took out. Sounded really good too.

I’ll be taking it out again soon for a proper test and not the company dictated one…… i want to see just how good this bike really is! Watch this space!

P.S. You get a lot of bike for your money…… £9599 starter!

Speed Monster
    Participant

P.P.S. I also need to test:
    Yam MT-10
    Yam MT-09
    Kwak Z1000
    Trumpet Speed Trip
    And just for shits and giggles, GSXR 750.

I know it’s a good bike but, i’m not going to bother with the FZ1 or FZ8. The MT’s are better spec’d!

Radar

P.P.S. I also need to test:
    Yam MT-10
    Yam MT-09
    Kwak Z1000
    Trumpet Speed Trip
    And just for shits and giggles, GSXR 750.

I know it’s a good bike but, i’m not going to bother with the FZ1 or FZ8. The MT’s are better spec’d!

MT 09 Review

https://bikemeet.net/forums/topic/yamaha-mt-09-tasty-triple-review-and-pics/

There are also a couple of MT 09 Tracer reviews in the Jap section

Triumph Speed Triple…2011 model but you get the vibe…

https://bikemeet.net/forums/topic/triumph-speed-triple-2011-review-and-pic/

Yamaha FZ1S – Perhaps not the most sharp suited of the litre bike uprights, but so, so capable….

https://bikemeet.net/forums/topic/2007-yamaha-fz1s-life-and-times-over-10200-miles/

Suzuki GSXR750 – Pete247 enjoyed his example

https://bikemeet.net/forums/topic/suzuki-gsx-r-750-k7-phantom/.msg4759#msg4759

We have got everything on here you know!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.