Triumph Speed Triple (2011) A Bulldog of Bike – Review

Home Forums British beef Triumph Speed Triple (2011) A Bulldog of Bike – Review

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Radar

A Bulldog of a Bike

I am a big fan of the modern generation of naked muscle bikes; witness the fact that I am a former proud owner of both a Yamaha XJR1300SP and FZ1S. The former was more of an old school and the later a more modern take on the same basic theme. The XJR is like a Triumph TR6 sports car in spirit: Brawny but about as complicated as a lump hammer. In contrast the FZ is more like a Jaguar XKR; well dressed but still a bare knuckle fighter underneath a thin veneer of sophistication. So it was in this context that I was really keen to try out the equally meaty 2011 Triumph Speed Triple, a real attack-dog of a bike. Especially with the snarling aftermarket pipe the bike owner had chosen to fit.

If this bike had a name it would be Spike…

The big triple has a solid, muscular stance; stocky, straight forward, no-nonsense: If it was a bloke it would have a tattoo on its’ neck and drive a white van. To make another four wheeled comparison it reminded me of a that Aussie legend (ignore the Vauxhall badge it wears in the UK), the V8 Holden Monaro. A gutsy, fast, no bullshit sort of car. This is a machine that wants to get directly to the business in hand and no messing.

Tuneful Triple Soundtrack

Like all the modern Triumph triples that I have ridden the experience was utterly dominated by that wailing, barking three cylinder engine. Obviously the bike is fast. Power and torque are instantly on tap seemingly in any gear all the way through a big juicy fat rev range. All the while that evocative exhaust egging you on to ride more aggression than is strictly necessary. Addictive and fantastic, I love it.

Too hard?

However, to be honest the suspension set up was too firm for me. The bike could be deflected off line too easily and the comfort level wasn’t great, especially when compared to my own Yamaha FZ1. The Yamaha has another 10bhp on tap when compared to  the Triumph.  For me those extra horses are easier to access because the suspension set up is better too. The Triumph did have more mid range punch where the FZ liked to to revved. This a typical for a four cylinder bike. I didn’t explore the upper reaches of the triple’s rev range, but here I think the FZ would have had the edge.

Brakes to match the power

The brakes were superb too. Great feel at the lever and speed melted away quickly with the slightest touch of the lever. The riding position wasn’t great for me, somehow it put  a lot of pressure on the small of my back. This would really limit my ability to enjoy the bike overall, which is a great shame, as the looks of the bike and the engine are both just about perfect.

So perhaps not a bike for me, but I remain genuinely impressed and proud that the British bike industry can produce such an awesome piece of kit

HippoDrones
    Participant

I loved my early 1050 Speedtriple, cracking bike but could have done with 10-20bhp more…. which I think the new one does (on paper anyhows)

HippoDrones
    Participant

was this the “R” or just the std version?

Radar

was this the “R” or just the std version?

It was the standard version

Radar

Petes 06 model review here:

https://bikemeet.net/forums/topic/triumph-speed-triple-2006-review/

Sadly the pictures have gone from that now

Radar

Quote from the owner of the 2011 model

‘One would have to agree with your comments Radar, it was set up way to hard for my liking & that was one of the main reasons I swapped it, we had good fun together for a couple of years tho ;D

robertcains
    Participant

Aye the standard version it was, I had the R version as a loan bike whilst it was in for service & apart from some minor cosmetic tweaks it was virtually the same bike, how they can justify another couple of grand for basically updated brakes & suspension is beyond me, however upon saying that the ride was much softer & improved on the R.
    Having now swapped it for a machine of a similar ilk, The Z1000 I can say the harshness & bite of the Trumpet was mega fun but that the novelty soon wore off, The Z seems so much better in almost every area except fuel economy.
    A very fair & honest write up Tony.

HippoDrones
    Participant

if you look at the cost of Ohlins suspension, Brembo monoblock calipers and lighter wheels as an aftermarket purchase you will see where the money goes!

Just a pair of wheels can cost almost £2k, guessing close on £1k for the brakes and poss £2.5k for the suspension.

Radar

if you look at the cost of Ohlins suspension, Brembo monoblock calipers and lighter wheels as an aftermarket purchase you will see where the money goes!

Just a pair of wheels can cost almost £2k, guessing close on £1k for the brakes and poss £2.5k for the suspension.

Very true, but the extra cost to Triumph would be a fraction of that. This is a good way of earning extra profit and fair play to Triumph for doing it. Good to see a British manufacturer doing well

robertcains
    Participant

And don’t forgetting deduct the value of the original parts being replaced, I know of a few potential owners who balked at the price of the R so walked away.

Radar

And don’t forgetting deduct the value of the original parts being replaced, I know of a few potential owners who balked at the price of the R so walked away.

Good point. This practice is widespread in the car industry, especially the premium German brands. Some of the sharper bike manufacturers have caught on too like Triumph and BMW. Harley Davidson are past masters at it with their old ‘Screaming Eagle’ branded upgrades that can really hike up the price of a bike from a attractively low starting point

robertcains
    Participant

I have to admit to the Triumph dealers I have dealt with haven’t given me a great experience either, seems a fairly widespread view reading comments online,
    My local Kwak dealer have been superb do far but it’s early days yet.

Radar

I have to admit to the Triumph dealers I have dealt with haven’t given me a great experience either, seems a fairly widespread view reading comments online,
    My local Kwak dealer have been superb do far but it’s early days yet.

Thats not good to hear about  the Triumph dealers….ifitisthat widespread they could do with getting that sorted. They are doing well at the moment,but that could soon change

Radar

Wow  nine since I rode this butch triple Triumph

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.