Speed camera vandal on the run

Home Forums Pure Petrolhead Speed cameras Speed camera vandal on the run

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Gix
    Participant

[:o)]LOL[:o)]

A vigilante believed to be behind a war on speed cameras causing more than a million pounds in lost revenue has gone on the run, it was revealed today.

Voluntary worker Christopher Crowley, 54, is thought to have wrecked 75 cameras causing £165,000 worth of damage by setting them on fire.

He was due to stand trial at Isleworth Crown Court on April 29 charged with damaging two GATSOs but failed to turn up and now a warrant has been issued for his arrest.

Police involved in the investigation believe that Crowley, who told police his actions are political, may be a notorious anti-speed camera activist called ‘Christ on a bike.’

A police source said: “A warrant has been issued for his arrest and we haven’t been able to trace him yet.”

Neighbours at his home in Wolseley Road, Chiswick said Crowley and his car hadn’t been seen for more than a week.

Crowley has been charged with damaging two speed cameras but police believe he has been much more active.

At an earlier magistrates court hearing proseuctor Wayne Lewis said over the last four years GATSO equipment in north west London had been targetted most suffering a similar pattern of attack.

Mr Lewis said: “This involves forcing open the door to the control box near the camera, placing an accelerant inside the box, lighting the accelerant and closing the door.

“The resulting fire causes considerable damage and is known to permanently disable the camera equipment.”

Mr Lewis said there had been offences in north-west London, causing £165,000 worth of damage and a loss of revenue of around £1 million.

He said part of a police operation to combat the problem has been to place an alarm in the speed trap box, which triggers a signal to a mobile phone, alerting police if the door is tampered with.

“In one case police set up a camera inside the box and they have photographs of a suspect white male tampering with the equipment, but he has remained unknown.

“When these pictures of the suspect male where shown to this defendant and it was pointed out the remarkable similarity between the photo and his own face, he said the image had been fabricated by police.”

Crowley was originally picked up by police on Saturday, December 20 2003 after two alarms were triggered in separate speed traps, positioned just one kilometre apart, within four minutes of each other.

The cameras were on the A406 North Circular at the junction with Greystoke Gardens, and the A40 Westway at its junction with Lynwood Road.

Mr Lewis told the court police attended both locations and and at the second site found a white male in a red-hooded jacket bent down, leaning over the control box and moving his arms. He was wearing a rucksack and next to him was a pedal cycle.

“He was detained by police officers at 10.53pm and was told he was under arrest for causing damage to speed cameras. In response he said ‘I was just fixing my bike'”.

Inside the rucksack police found two 14-inch screwdrivers and a pair of pliers, and in Crowley’s jacket were firelighters. A red cigarette lighter was found on the ground near the camera’s control box.

Mr Lewis said: “At both sites there was clear evidence the doors had been damaged and forced. These are the property of Transport for London and the outer casing of the box is valued at £2,000.”

The court heard Crowley had said in police interview he was on his way to a Harvester pub on the A40 and had been mending his bicycle next to the GATSO box. He admitted ownership of some of the items recovered.

Mr Lewis said: “His standard response was ‘I have an explanation but I do not want to answer because I may incriminate myself.’

“The defendant continually denied having caused criminal damage and entered into a discussion about whether damage can be caused without criminal intent.

“He said there is a higher intent than criminality. He made reference to political intent and he also expressed his opposition to identity cards and a willingness to protest against them.

“Whilst he continued to deny causing damage, the defendant said he might have to throw himself at the mercy of a jury who he hoped would hold similar views on GATSO cameras.”

As part of his conditional bail, Crowley was ordered to reside at his home address with a doorstep curfew between 7pm and 7am until his next court appearance. He was also told not to be stationary within 100 metres of any GATSO camera.

Outside the court Detective Ian Roberts of the Traffic and Transport Intelligence Unit said: “Over the past four years it has become quite apparent there has been a sustained campaign and whoever has been doing this certainly knows what they are doing.”

Making reference to an anti-speed camera activist dubbed “Christ on a Bike” in the media, DI Roberts said: “Crowley uses a pushbike wherever he goes and his date of birth is Christmas Day. It makes you think.”

Crowley is charged with two counts of arson and one count of having articles with intent to destroy or damage property and criminal damage.

LOVE IS GIVING SOMEONE THE ABILITY TO DESTROY YOU, THEN TRUSTING THEM NOT TO.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vacuum in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming…….WOO HOO, there goes another engine!

suck_animated.gif

XV16
    Participant

[:D][:D][:)][:D]

I bet the jury are all points free!!!

Best Regards
    Stuart XV16

Please note that some of the comments and articles posted may not represent my views or the views of The Bike Forum and its moderators.

“The normally careful and competent actions of a reasonable individual should be considered legal.”

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.