Shoei XR 1100

Home Forums Product reviews Shoei XR 1100

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    HippoDrones
    Participant

Shoei-XR1100-Matt-Black_350_1BNCL.jpg

I needed a new lid as my Arai Viper GT had seen better days, it was my second Viper GT so I thought I’d try a different lid and had heard that the Shoei lids were quieter than the Arais.

In the flesh the XR 1100 is a very handsome thing, the vents are plentiful and easily operated even with winter gloves. The visor is far easier to change than that on the Arai and its price is comparible.

Unfortunately the quality feel for the lid is hampered by IMO a design flaw. It has a lip fitted to the back at the base which I see no real reason for at all. In my old 2pc Triumph leathers and my Halo 1pc leathers its not a problem but when wearing my new Rukka textiles and my Arlen Ness 1pc race suit the lip digs in to the collar of the textiles and hump of the leathers locking my head in to the looking dead ahead position which is fine on straight roads but when playing on twisties it stops me being able to follow the road horizon with my head until I look down and then to the direction required.

I emailed the UK distributors of Shoei with my concerns and was told to adjust my head position to avoid it happening. Unfortunately doing so would involve me looking at my front mudguard rather than the road so not really practical or safe.

I asked if they would exchange it for one without the lip but was told it was not possible as there was no fault with the lid. Am not happy to be honest, I do however wonder if any updated versions of the lid will have the lip fitted as this will be a sign that they realise it is an actual issue with the design!

I have contemplated getting my Dremmel to the lip to cut it off but that will void any warranty so will try and overcome the issue. I’ll not buy another tho if they don’t change the design. I suggest that anyone wanting a new lid no matter what manufacturer takes all their jackets/leathers etc and actually sits on their bike with the lid on before spending such a huge amount of money on a safety item that is potentially capable of causing an accident.

My money will probs go on another Arai Viper GT when I replace this Shoei as I know they fit, are comfortable and have probably saved my life after my Cadwell off in 2007.

Radar

I have always tended towards AGV lids, but I have recently switched to a Shark. seems ok so far.

The only Shoei I ever tried on was desperately uncomfortable and I couldn’t get the sodding thing off quick enough.

HippoDrones
    Participant

the first Shoei I had many years ago was uncomfortable and their top of the range race lid doesn’t fit my head shape either, this one was the best fit out of their range. Am gutted as it should be a cracking helmet and they cost so bloody much. I am still having problems with it locking my head even when trying very hard to adjust my riding body position etc. I’ll not buy another.

Radar

Not surprised. Can you trim the offending bit off?

HippoDrones
    Participant

If my email to Shoei Europe proves fruitless then I shall trim the spoiler off as it serves no purpose for safety or structural to the lid.

HippoDrones
    Participant

When I get to a proper computer I shall copy the emails in to this post. It seems so far that Shoei do not care that their design is dangerous (not that I expect them to do so in writing) I have asked them to consider a redesign and also to offer me a different crash helmet and that I was happy to pay the extra to have an upgrade.

I think I will try phoning them at somepoint soon as then I will have tried several methods of communication before I look into taking it further. A racer has told me that she is supposed to use one of these helmets for the race series she is in (its supplied to all competitors) but has found the same problem as me so has purchased a different lid at her own expence.

I am trying to look at this from outside my view and keep an open mind but I feel Shoei are shutting doors on me and forcing me to seek further legal advice.

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Damn shame that Pete. I have had a couple of Shoei lids over the years with no probs. How much was this one?

HippoDrones
    Participant

around £380

HippoDrones
    Participant

I will not buy another Shoei crash helmet, that decision is not to do with this lid as such… more to do with their disregard to the danger of the design of this lid.

ses310

Pretty damn poor really! I wouldn’t buy one again either if I had been given the same responses!

Radar

Surpising from such a big player in this market

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.