Sharing knowledge and experience.

Home Forums Survival skills Sharing knowledge and experience.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Born2BMild
    Participant

As there era a lot of experienced and knowledgable riders on the forum, I thought it would be useful if anyone could share their riding test experiences, such as what you thought of the test and the examiner, conditions you took the test in and any mistakes you made.

I think it would a usefull resource for the site, and of course help me in my impending test. So any contributions would be greatly received, not just by me but by others as well, I expect.

GSF K1
    Participant

My test was back in 1988… so I dont think anything I can really remember about it is going to be of much use to you.

Just relax, enjoy and if it didnt go quite to plan, use it as an educational experiance for next time. 10/10 for trying!

Gix
    Participant

Best advice is to relax B2B, and I took a coupla paracetamol 1/2 hour b4 I went.
    My examiner was the examiner from hell as far as I was concerned (he wasnt really, I was just so scared LOL) and I was convinced I had failed at the first roundabout when I went for a small break in traffic and left him sitting. From then on I decided to just ride as if I was riding to work, I relaxed cos thought I had failed anyway and was thinking what the hell (I only had one shot at test as married at time), finished the ride, back at test centre he asked me a few questions on carrying pillions, answered those correctly and he said “Well, I think your riding is fine, congratulations you have passed” and I went ballistic LOL![:D]
    Make sure your lifesavers are obvious, but dont do them where not neccessary, dont hesitate, if you can go at a junction or roundabout, he will catch you up, ride as if he is not there, ride for yourself.
    On your U turn, when you start the turn, look for a point you are aiming for on other side of road and keep looking for it till you reach half way, then look at a point further down the road where you want to end up, if you look at the point you want to end up at, you will reach that point, look at the kerb and you will hit it.
    I was more worried about locking rear on emergency stop, so I used very little rear brake, but it has to be used, my instructer made sure it was set quite soft before the test.
    Remember all your indications, but remember to turn them off as well.
    Thats all I can think of right now…..well it is 4.30am ffs![:o)]

Scouser
    Participant

Ride confidently, do everything by the book. Slightly off set your mirrors so your head movements are more pronounced. Ride in the middle of the road and make yourself big,safe and seen

LeviathanRan
    Participant

My test I took about 2 months ago, I failed but here’s an outrun of what they COULD do to catch you out.

Took me to a street for the U-turn that looked very narrow but was actually fine, it just had flat curbs and a few cars and trees that made it looked narrow…

Anyway I pushed the bike around and got on it and about 20 teenagers from the school were out for lunch… why oh why they go around in packs is beyond me…

Anyway they were walking in the middle of the road… VERY slowly and slackish…
    they got to me and started kicking the bike, asking for a ride… shouting abuse at me and the examiner… if I was on my own I would have kicked the shit our of the cocky little c**ts. This was very off putting, but I still managed to do the U turn… hehehe U turn god me ;)

Anyway he took me to an unmarked one way system… and said “turn right here” if I had, I would have gone down the wrong lane… but I caught on and did it fine :P

He also took me along a dual carriage way, but one of the lanes was a bus lane…
    so I kept in the right hand lane… but the bus lane wasn’t in use.. so he failed me for riding in the wrong lane.. Bastard, to be fare the times on the bus lane weren’t even shown. But they don’t care

Instructors are anal and annoying sly and deceptive, treat them like an enemy!
    and PRAY you get stuck in heavy traffic, remember the test is only 40 minutes long, and as long as you have done the u-turns and emergency stops, the rest is just observing your riding for 40 minutes or so, and if you get stuck in traffic for half an hour, there’s NOTHING he can do about it :) and you get away with a piss easy test yay!

Gix
    Participant

quote:

Instructors are anal and annoying sly and deceptive, treat them like an enemy!

They have a job to do, a criteria to follow. If the times of fares werent shown you could have appealed, but it is likely you just missed the sign due to nerves.

LeviathanRan
    Participant

that’s not the only thing I failed on, I was also speeding lol

Gix
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by LeviathanRan

tut tut![:o)]

LeviathanRan
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Gix

quote:

Originally posted by LeviathanRan

tut tut![:o)]

Yes I should mention kids, DON’T speed… just because a road looks like it’s a 40 zone, and is a dual carriage way, and should be a 40 zone… doesn’t mean it is -_-

In short, watch out for road signs hidden by over growth, hedges, vandalism, and trees

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.