sat nav

Home Forums Product reviews sat nav

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    spanish biker
    Participant

time to change mine , whos got one , ?
    what is it ?
    is it any good ?
    how much ?
    thanks a lot you lot [:)]

max
    Participant

lol i’ll drink to that lol

imperialdata
    Keymaster

I’ve got a Mitac Mio Digiwalker. It’s a PDA that you can load SatNav software on as well as lots of other programs. It’s got built in WiFi and GPS. If you’re after something waterproof for the bike it wouldn’t suit but otherwise it’s a great tool.
    I use TomTom for the main SatNav feature, it’s generally pretty accurate. Have also got the speed camera databases loaded up and up-to-date.

TT07
    Participant

I use a TomTom Rider V1 which has done the job fine for 2 years. Have not been looking at alternatives so cant say how it compares with newer stuff. Bluetoothed to the mobile (which no doubt most do) saves on those missed calls (If you want to stay in touch with the rest of the world that is!).

katana
    Participant

I got my wife on of these:

https://www.ebuyer.com/product/131342?tb=1

Works really well with the supplied software and you can load Tom Tom software onto it if you want. For less then 50 quid who cares if you lose it?

TT07
    Participant

Just purchased and fitted an additional mount and power cable for my TomTom Rider Version 1 to the GSXR1000K7, found it squeezed in very nicely clamped rigidly to the clutch master cylinder.

31072008883.jpg

Whilst I was ‘at it’ I remembered to connect the TomTom up to the PC and install the latest software. Low and behold, what I find to be a usefull addition has been added under the heading “Trip Statistics”,

Recorded are:

Ave Speed
    Distance Covered
    Time on the move
    MAX speed
    Distance (to return to) Home

Realise this kind of data MAY be available on other SatNav units, but its the first time its been available for this TomTom Rider V1 unit.

Downside: the MAX figure may be just a tad inaccurate under quick acceleration, the attached pic shows a figure of 78 mph max but I think I may have accidently gone a little quicker(I guess that the first time I tried it out I must have had a fair bit of rear wheel spin there [:p] as the speedo HAD shown in excess of double that figure)

mcmickyp
    Participant

have just bought a Tom Tom rider V2 for my July Tour -France, Germany, overnight train, Italy, France, italy, Austria, overnight train, Germany, France then home on my 09 Honda CB1000R (yes i am excited). Fitted Tom Tom very easily..not sure about the power cable..does it wire straight onto the battery? Does it have to be fused?? Feel a bit dim on this one..Any guidance would be much appreciated!!

TT07
    Participant

Yes the instructions that I got with V1 were vague to say the least. I’ve put an in-line fuse on mine and wired direct to the battery on the 1000, on the 600 I’ve wired to the lights which in my case are on all of the time.

TT07
    Participant

Sounds like your off on an excellent European Tour. Don’t forget to take plenty of pics and give us a good write up on your adventures. Are you off on your own or are several going. (Maybe a good idea to start a fresh thread on this one)

mcmickyp
    Participant

Thanks for the advice, i think i will attach my battery charger lead to the battery (fused) and then plug Tom Tom lead into the connector and hope for no sparks!!
    I am going on the trip by myself (no mates with time/money/bottle!!). Luggage is a Kriega US 40 tail pack and a 15l tank bag..Tiny tent, sleeping bag and Michelin maps have been purchased as well as some Hood Kevlar jeans (with Knox armour) for when it is roasting!!
    Your bike looks trick!!! Maybe get a sports bike next year or a sports tourer..My neck is like Arnies from riding 2 nakeds in a row (last bike was a Street Triple..6500 miles in 10 months!!).
    I am friends with radar (met him in spain last year) and he told me how to post photos, but have still not worked it out yet!! I lack pateince, intelligence and am a technophobe!!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.