Ramblings of a bored man!

Home Forums BikeMeet Cafe Ramblings of a bored man!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Champs
    Participant

Forgive me if this is a bit self indulgent but its a fact that I decided to move to motorbiking 5 years ago, give or take a few days.

Up until that point I had always had cars which oddly I passed my test 10 years ago this week, however one day back around the start of Novemeber 2006 whilst sitting in ‘the 24/7/365’ traffic jam between M6 junction 10a and the M5 (locals will know the jam I am talking about), whilst watching all the motorbikes filtering past me I cracked…

I couldn’t take it anymore! I phoned BSM and booked my Direct Access.

In the final week of November with a terrible bubonic plague style man flu which meant I had been self certified unfit for work! * cough cough *; I arrived at Birmingham Wheels Park on Adderley Road to start my training.

I had never ridden a motorbike before only ever perched on top of friends bikes, but this was my turn. Thinking back though you have to think how bloody easy it was to get a bike test. From novice… one day on a Honda CB125 and the next a Suzuki GS500 which at the time I was amazed in the power difference between the 125 and 500.

Lunchtime on day three, I rode my GS500 out of Yardley training centre with my examiner filling my mirrors on his Pan European. The ride was a really good run, the advantage of knowing the local roads meant I could concentrate on riding the bike, it was great fun accelerating to a mighty 60mph on the Coventry Road with the freedom of motorbiking already building the adrenalin and in just a short time and with only 2 minors we arrived back in Yardley… I had passed my test.

With the taste of motorbiking taking hold I needed a bike! There were many suggestions from friends and internet bloggers, with most advice being “you passed on a 500, so get a 500 until your confident”, but I ignored all that sound advice and went for the young early 20’s advice of “b****cks to it” and “get a 600, because you’ll get bored of a 500”.

On the 10th December 2006, I joined the Bikers Cafe forum. After reading the many articles and chatting to a few people I read one post from Bladerider (Karen) which said…

quote:

Hi Champs

Well done on passing your DAS – we meet up quite a bit with G2M, Gaz and Ben so when you gonna join us – need a bike got a fab ZX6R for sale!

Could even arrange for Mrs Santa to deliver it :pressie:

What an offer! Although a ZX6R wasn’t really a bike I had heard of in my short motorbiking career of a week but my god it looked sexy!

The Kawasaki ZX6R J1 Ninja

DSC02535.jpg

With a begging plea to the bank manager I was able to secure enough cash and off we went to pick up… Kylie!

I probably should of guessed that this would be motorbiking in England as the day we went to pick her up from Karens the heavens were well and truly open! With less than a month since I passed my test, and me having never ridden a 600cc, it would a big challenge to get her home for my mate Mark, who I got to do it for me; whilst I sat in the warm dry car.

Thankfully with a couple of years extra experience than me, he got her back to my house.

A few days later the roads had dried up and Mark and I decided to go out for a ride. If the difference between a 125 and a 500 had shocked me, the difference between a 500 and a 600 would be one giant kick up the arse!

Now correct me if I am wrong on the Bhps but from what I believe was a restricted 2005 GS500 with 33Bhp, the 109Bhp of the ZX6R was… surprising to say the least.

To investigate the power of the 600 underneth me, we headed out to the A452 collector road. Gently winding open the throttle southbound away from Sutton Coldfield and power was amazing, and to be fair, a little nerving. I spotted a low three figures on the speedo before loosing my bottle and closing the throttle, subsequently coming into the approaching roundabout too quick and spilling the bike up and over the kerb at the far edge of the roundabout!

Over the following few weeks I improved my understanding on the bike, not least countersteering, which is still the most complicated phenomena to truly understand or explain.

If anyone is learning to ride now or knows someone I must say the ZX6R J1 is a great bike to learn on, docile and calm under 7K Rpm and like a kid on a sugar high over 7K. They will keep up with most things in a straight line and yet responsive and controllable enough to flick through heavy rush hour traffic.

I still have the 6R to this day and ahead is some pictures I have gathered of some of the best experiences that Kylie and I have shared. Hopefully it will bring back some of your good biking memories.

Pratcise makes perfect, some tutoring from friends some inside the NEC grounds in early 2007

2008playing.jpg

My first rideout was a baptism of fire, “a quick jaunt” someone said down to the famous Ace Cafe in London, which was March 2007?

2007acecafe1.jpg

Showing our pride for St Georges day 2007

2009stgeorges2.jpg
    2008stgeorges3.jpg

My first Cat and Fiddle run in May 2007

2007catandfiddle.jpg

One of the most impressive introductions to the world of biking is a night at Bassets Pole in Summer 2007

100_1707.jpg
    100_1708.jpg

Another big rideout this time to Aberystwyth in September 2007

2007aber2.jpg
    2007aber1.jpg

Joining me in biking was my life long friend Joe, orginally he had a Gilera Runner 50 which would return later in the story, a Daelim Daystar 125 for a few years and finally passed his Direct Access at the start of 2008, he bought a 1998 Kawasaki ZZR600 for the lowly sum of £400 and with ‘some’ work we got it back up and running for another £400. Not a bad price. Our first big run out was the two of us over to Crossgates for my birthday in April 2008.

100_1115.jpg
    2008crossgates2.jpg
    2008crossgates1.jpg

We attended the St Georges rideout again in 2008

2008stgeorges1.jpg

On 11th May 2008, we attended the very memorable Big Katz (Simone) ride out in honour of her son Brett, which is a real testiment to bikers sticking together.

2008bigcatsride2.jpg
    P5112539.jpg

In June 2008, myself and Mark hit the roads of Europe on a 2000 mile trip down to Italy and back. Amazing roads, amazing countries and amazing beer!

2008euro1.jpg
    2008euro3.jpg

Although we did get lost occasionally

2008euro2.jpg

Back in the UK, myself, Gix and a few others found ourselves inside the clouds at the Cat and Fiddle in August 2008 I believe

2008catandfiddle2.jpg

I am fairly sure we were at the Cat and Fiddle anyway!

2008catandfiddle1.jpg

2009 saw us at the St Georges parade once again

2009stgeorges1.jpg
    100_2210.jpg

And Mark got his helmet stuck (somehow)

100_2206.jpg

This was our first year taking part in BMFs Moped Enduro. This is a series of 90minute 50cc scooter endurance races.

Joe’s Gilera was dug out of the corner in his garage and was donated as our racer!

100_1565-1.jpg

Bearing in mind that we had no racing experience, we ventured out onto the track with 64 other bikes and raced our hearts out.

b100_1694.jpg
    b100_1699.jpg
    100_1688.jpg

We also headed out for the charity run, Ryans Ryde

2008ryansryde2.jpg
    2008ryansryde1.jpg

BMF Moped Enduro was also held in September 2009 in changing conditions, we also had our first breakdown, a broken exhaust stud one hour before the race. Luckily we managed to buy a slightly overpriced cylinder head off another team

100_1982-1.jpg
    100_1983.jpg

But we still got out for the race, albeit in slight damp conditions

SDC13590.jpg
    SDC13593.jpg

In the middle of 2010, Joe and myself went to a Craig Jones Skills Day. This was great fun and we learnt loads about bike control.

JSS_0360.jpg
    JSS_0363.jpg
    JSS_0441.jpg

We even had a trip out with the Bikesafe cops!

JSS_0406.jpg

2010 also saw a return to the mighty European roads and to what has to be the best image I have ever seen on a satnav

100_2425.jpg

Which is real life looks like this

100_2433.jpg
    100_2450.jpg
    100_2595.jpg
    100_2580.jpg

We even had time for a beer

100_2508.jpg

In September 2010, I went out with peeps from TBF on the Ryans Ryde run but for some reason I can only find one picture and even that I stole from Radar

PICT0413.jpg

2011 has been rubbish for ride outs (stupid bloody weather)

We managed two more weekends at BMF

SMC_0495.jpg
    248461_10150193707169675_509124674_6680202_5889399_n.jpg

And a few runs out on the bike… so here’s to 2012 and a bigger effort to get out more!

2008matlock.jpg

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Wow, cracking post Champs and a great set of pics. Yup, 2011 was a downer for the weather and I hope 2012 will be a lot better.

Love the fact you did one of your first runs to Ace Cafe, it set the standard didn’t it?

Oh, and that satnav shot is very, very cool. Not many roads like that around the Midlands….

ses310

2nd on a cracking post mate! Lots of great runs there and also that is a pretty amazing satnav shot!
    Yup bring on 2012!

katana
    Participant

Good pics there mate – apart from the one of me pulling a stupid face.

Radar

Brilliant post and pictures, you have captured what biking can bring perfectly.
    Out Sunday morning on a Crossgates run if you fancy a ride out

Champs
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Radar
    Out Sunday morning on a Crossgates run if you fancy a ride out

Would love to but sadly I am already off to cannock chase for some unpowered 2 wheel action!

Radar

You missed a good run Champs, come along next time!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.