possible over heating…

Home Forums Motorcycle help wanted possible over heating…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    notlob64
    Participant

Hi all…

Have got a problem with my GPX600r again. hope to get some advice… I haven’t ridden it for a while cos i had probs with the rear brakes but thats sorted now. took it out the other day and it kept stalling after a mile or so down the road. Got it back home turned him off and the rad fan was on for a while. The engine was quite hot and esp the cooling tubes. The temp gauge was higher than normal… Today i have checked the thermostat and that is opening and closing ok. The pump is in good nick and working as it should ( it turns when i quickly start it up ).
    But when i refilled with water after about 5 mins it plays up again. pipes getting very hot. i can only assume that it is the cooling system, but i might be wrong…

Any suggestions ? thanks Tony

Radar

Is the cap on the header tank doing its job? Could be that needs a look see

Have you checked for an air lock? Might be worth draining down the coolant and flushing the system before slowly re-filling again. Make sure you use the correct anti-freeze/coolant and get the proportions of the mix with water correct too

imperialdata
    Keymaster

My Kwaks have all run quite warm when stationary in hot weather. Fan usually came on when temp got to about 3/4 on the gauge. There was no problem, it was by design but it definitely feels wrong especially when you’re sitting on the bike and all the warm air is blown back to you.

I presume you bled the system after refilling? Most big Kwaks have a few bleed points.

notlob64
    Participant

Well… I’ve flushed the system, checked the carb cooling filter and the check filter, refilled with coolant and it still is over heating. Think i might have the rad off next.
    Thanks Imperialdata for your comment. My trusty Haynes manual doesn’t suggest bleeding and i can’t see any points to do so. Still after around ten mins or so the engine get very hot and then starts to play up and stalls with the fan running for 2 or 3 mins………………

imperialdata
    Keymaster

The bleed points on my Kwaks seemed to be always around the thermostat and the water pump. They look just like the brake fluid nipples.

notlob64
    Participant

nope, ain’t got none… but thanks anyway.

notlob64
    Participant

still can’t find the problem… Have replaced the thermostat and checked that the sensor is working. Started him up and again after around ten mins the engine seemed to be struggling a bit and then stalled. Temp gauge was normal. wouldn’t start up again until cool. I have had the carbs off the other month 4 or 5 times but can’t think if that has made the problem…

Radar

Head Gasket? What colour is the oil on the dipstick and/or veiwing window?

notlob64
    Participant

Hi Don… colour normal and the water is clear. think it might be a rad problem? what do you think ?

Radar

Could be, would do no harm to have it tested, just not sure where would do it. I suppose the car places would

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.