Pay per mile idea …

Home Forums BikeMeet Cafe Pay per mile idea …

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    GSXR1000
    Participant

If the thought gets you down, do what we are planning to do.

We have just had 8 glorious days on ‘2p-per-mile’ roads, with barely any traffic, negligible pollution and lots less people and speed cameras!

We are looking at moving to the Glencoe area of the Scottish Highlands and won’t care about road charging.

1800 miles in 8 days, endless glorious roads and even the weather stayed dry for us.

[:D][:D][:D]

Scouser
    Participant

Sounds as though you had a great time, how many in your group? Was your bike comfortable enough for the 1800 miles touring or were you sometimes wishing for a sports tourer?

I don’t know how this charging effects motorbikes, but this charging per mile for cars will be the start of a Civil War!
    We love our cars and have more cars per head than any other country in the world.

Now the Govt. are on about abolishing the road tax and charging you for every mile you use using sattelite tracking and charging you for the time and type of road you are using.
    As GSX1000 says rural areas are 2p per mile for example, but city centres could be as high as £5 per mile! This is all 10 years away.

You saw what happened when the Govt. went to hike up the petrol charges, do they really think we are all going to pay for sat tracking and then pay £000’s of pounds per year to drive our cars? These tracking devices will also be used to monitor your road speed and automatically fine you for speeding.

They want us to abandon our cars and use buses and trains, what a laugh. Do we all sell our cars and who to? They would lose all their value as nobody would want them.

I for one will be joining the armies of protestors as and when it happens.

I will now get off the soap box, great topic GSX1000. What do you all think?

Be seen and be Safe!

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Totally agree with you Scouser, the penny-per-mile idea is obviously just the tip of the iceberg. I’ll be with you on that protest march.

Nice hols there GSXR, and over 200 miles a day on the Zuke! Hope they don’t introduce a sore arse tax…..

Gix
    Participant

I did over 450 miles in one day a couple of weeks ago….do about 200 miles on a typical Sunday ride out, they are more comfy than people realise![;)]

LOVE IS GIVING SOMEONE THE ABILITY TO DESTROY YOU, THEN TRUSTING THEM NOT TO.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vacuum in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming…….WOO HOO, there goes another engine!

suck_animated.gif

Digger
    Participant

Alastair Darling was probably abused by a Ford Consul when he was a kid,does he really think this scheme will work.If it is passed I will be buying lots of scrap lead to melt down and make a sheet to cloak my car with so the satalite tracking system can not find me.

Take it easy out there

barmy_carmy
    Participant

GSXR1000, Now thats what I call a ride,good for you mate,you lucky bugger.ooooooooooooarrrrrrrr! And as for paying per mile could end up costing a lot more than your road tax, but what horrifies me most, is that they are tracking you and know exactly where you are, and who will have access to this knowledge? this is major BIG BROTHER!

I’m not riding fast, I’m just flying low. and please DONATE to this website

GSF K1
    Participant

Pretty typical of this government to do just what it pleases and be damned the public who it actually affects! Time to march on London with pitchforks burning!

Go out with a BANG… Light a fart!

GSXR1000
    Participant

It was a great week, yeah.

We both got through a set of tyres in those 1800 miles though. (Towed the Suzuki and my friend’s Ducati 999R with the car, btw, we did not ride to and from the Highlands).

Interesting comparison between the two bikes. The GSXR1000 is certainly faster and lighter, but the Ducati is a very different bike altogether, with far more soul and getting back on the Japanese steed felt really strange at first. The Ducati sounded heaps better, but then it costs twice as much also, £18K against £9K.

Both fantastic machines. Racers of 10 years ago would be impressed, I reckon and we sometimes forget just how much ‘GO’ you get for just £9K these days.
    (Fireblades were nearly that much in 1993).

GSX Rat
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Digger

Alastair Darling was probably abused by a Ford Consul when he was a kid,does he really think this scheme will work.If it is passed I will be buying lots of scrap lead to melt down and make a sheet to cloak my car with so the satalite tracking system can not find me.

Take it easy out there

surely a pair of wire cutters would be easier…..

I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on awakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning.
    Aleister Crowley (1875 – 1947)

Blackboard paint – Covers a multitude of sins!

Radar

Currently we have tax on fuel. If you cover more miles you buy more fuel paying more tax, therefore we already have a “pay as you go” system.

This new idea, while it has some benefits in theory for off peak and rural users, overall is a complete mess. It will be expensive both to install and to run.
    Also while they might cut fuel tax, do you seriously think that the government (be it Labour, Tory or Liberal), will allow this to raise less tax income overall than the current system?

This is before you start getting into the civil liberties aspect…

I will be protesting if they try to implement it.

However, one thorny point does remain…Congestion is on the rise and we do need to do someting to reduce it.

If we are to protest, then we must be able to table a viable alternative.

My first suggestion, kill the school run. Set up a school bus system similar to that operated in the USA.

Also introduce varible working times where possible, so that not everybody is trying to get to the same place at the same time.

Another way round this could be working from home. In my case I often drive the 33 miles to my office then send e-mails, work on the company intranet and make phone calls all day. This could be done at home and 66 miles could be saved. I could work 2-3 days a week from home most of the time.

As for your trip up to Scotland GSX, it sounded superb. Many years ago I toured Scotland on my 1982 Suzuki GS550E in company with a Yamaha XJ650 riding friend. The roads, the people and views were superb.

Ducati v Japanese sports 4. As you say, a massive difference, and I find it amusing that to the non biker they just appear to be two bikes, much the same.

In my case it was a Ducti 748 v my YZF600R. Similar power outputs and overall performance but the difference in feel and delivery would put chalk and chesse to shame.

The Ducati was such a charasmatic ride, and so light and compact. That V twin snarling and the ride was rock hard. At lower speeds it felt awful, but suddenly at about 90mph it just came alive and all started to make sense.

Getting back aboard the YZF it felt weird, like all the controls had been disconnected, so directly ‘hard wired’ was the Ducati to your senses.

The YZF is a hugely capable bike, but the Ducati is the real deal.

Why don’t I ride one then?

I don’t fit on one too well…

Donate – Or Imperial Data will have you sorted!

GSF K1
    Participant

I agree Radar.. ban the school run. I drive past a school on my way to work, and almost all of the cars are mother plus 1 kid.. I used to walk or cycle! Get the kids out of the cars and using their legs and thats the obecity issue solved too!

Go out with a BANG… Light a fart!

GSXR1000
    Participant

Everyone should try a Ducati 999R once. It is awesome, although I would not pay double what I did for the 2005 Suzy Thou.

barmy_carmy
    Participant

Thats a pretty good suggestion there Radar about the school run. When I was a kid, I had to walk 2 1/2 miles to get to school then I had the same again coming home.

delticman
    Participant

As a shift worker, I need my own transport to get me to/from work in the hours outside of public transport (AND, being a train driver, I sometimes HAVE to be at work at 4am, so I can get my train ready to get the 9 to 5 mob to work!).
    I work a 24 week roster, that has different start/finish times, for most of it, and also gives different work days/days off, week by week. In respect of this, we have a job where a driver signs on for duty at 8.25am. Even on my bike, no matter how early I leave home for work (20 miles), I am often a few minutes late during school days, but oh, bliss of all blisses, on a school holiday day when on that particular job, I often have time to have a cuppa before even getting my bag out of my locker, even without allowing any ‘extra’ time to get there. Sooo, anything that can stop the daily school run is totally welcomed by me! I’d also make most, if not all sales reps travel by public transport too-you know the ones, they have their suits dangling on a hanger, in the back of their (company) cars!
    And to finalise, I’d shoot anyone I saw using a mobile fone when driving, that would free the gridlocked roads up a helluva lot, methinx!!!

BLOOP!!! BLOOP!!! BLOOP!!!

barmy_carmy
    Participant

But what about disabled people who have no choice, unable to use public transport? They have no choice, they have to use their form of transport, currently if you have mobility problems, ie cant walk far, We are Road Tax exempt. But what will happen to them if they brought the charges in? there will be a lot of disabled poeple rendered housebound, cause they cant afford to go out.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.