new tyres on…bike swerve???

Home Forums Motorcycle help wanted new tyres on…bike swerve???

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    notlob64
    Participant

Hi all…
    Had a pair of new bridgestone BT 45s put on my bike last week. When riding at speed (over 60) the bike sort of “swerves” almost like when you ride a white line (if that makes sense). There is no shaking at all on the handle bars and both wheels are aligned correctly.
    Any suggestions?

Thanks Tony [:)]

Radar

Tyre pressures ok?

Champs
    Participant

I would take it back to the place that fitted them and get them re-balanced.

Radar

quote:

Originally posted by Champs

I would take it back to the place that fitted them and get them re-balanced.

Thats a good call Champs

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Is the rear wheel alignment right? Some shops look at the alignment lines and count, say, 3 from the left then go to the other side and count 3 from the left causing a wonky wheel.

Hope you know what I mean there, don’t be offended if you’ve checked this!

Wouldn’t be a bad idea to check everything – tightness of nuts, wheel alignment, trueness of wheels (spin and hold a pencil close to rim), even fork height. I’d certainly pop the spindle out and back in again in case there’s something there. Then it’s down to a bad balance (as Champs said) tyre pressures (as Radar said) or even there could be a bad belt or lump in the tyre.

Only reason I said these suggestions is that maybe your old tyres had adjusted to a bad setup, it might not be the garage’s fault.

lucky rookie
    Participant

hi
    most tyre places blow tyres up to the maximum pressure around 42 psi which makes the tyre pointy in the middle (excuse my technical jargon lol)i would first set pressures to recommended pressures as from the bike manufacturer if that doesn’t work check your head stock bearings are not over tight as any body who has rode off with their steering damper set too high will know the bike will weave all over the shop

hope this may help
    lucky

Digger
    Participant

I had a rear tyre fitted that was badly out of alignment with the front,it took me an hour to get out the road before i realised i was going around in circles.

notlob64
    Participant

Sorted…Took me bike back to the bike shop. They’d only fitted an incorrect sized front tyre. Having it replaced next week.
    Thanks for all your suggestions. Tony

TT07
    Participant

Thanks for getting back, now that (it appears )you’ve resolved the problem we can all bear the cause in mind should a simular question arise or if any of has a simular issue. Glad its soon to be sorted for you. Let us know how she handles once the correct fitment tried and tested.

notlob64
    Participant

Well it’s like this… I have had a new front tyre fitted (a 120/80/16 replaving a 130/80/16) I have taken it out for as ride and noticed that there is no swerving at high speed but at low speed there is a problem cornering (seems to not want to turn smoothly). Looking at most of the websites the correct spec for my front is 110/80/16 for the front. Think I might be taking my bike back in yet again…

TT07
    Participant

Tyres can feel rather strange for the first 100 miles or so (especially fronts)and need bedding in due to the release agents used in their manufacture, I had a D207 Dunlop that didn’t feel right until I’d clocked up 600 miles! If in doubt, yet again, have a word with the fitting company.

notlob64
    Participant

I assume that the difference between 110 and 120 is a 10mm profile on the tyre… That surely would be quite noticable esp on a front wheel due to the pivot of it. On the rear it wouldn’t matter as much cos it is fixed. Thanks TT for your comment. Cornering though feels as though i have a flat on the front and if you think about it cos the front has a bigger circumference then it has to some how when cornering get that extra 10mm back, which is why i think it struggles………………….

Radar

You sorted now?

notlob64
    Participant

tyres yes, but my rear callipar needs striping and cleaning

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.