New technology

Home Forums BikeMeet Cafe New technology

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Radar

What do you think has been the biggest or best thing that has happened to upgrade bikes in the last 20 years?

Donate – it makes you feel good!

Gix
    Participant

Gotta be they way they handle now compared to what they were like when I first started riding. My old RD felt like the frame was made of spaghetti!

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

LOVE IS GIVING SOMEONE THE ABILITY TO DESTROY YOU, THEN TRUSTING THEM NOT TO.

GO ON! DONATE! YOU KNOW YA WANNA!

Muppdog
    Participant

Agree 100%. The frame to power ratio used to be almost criminal at times. I also remember a test in a German motorbike magazine in the early 80’s where they measured the frames of all the big Japanese bikes at the time and found all of them so twisted and out of line that they were condemmed as unsafe. These were all from brand new bikes, strait from the shops! Just shows how little attention was paid to this part of the bike at the time.

Muppdog

The lack of power cannot be replaced with madness

GSX Rat
    Participant

the biggest upgrade as far as manufacturers are concerned is all that plastic cr@p they bolt onto an ally frame these days – one drop and if you aint bent the frame your looking at a few grand for new plastice!

Suppose the best thing is the improvement in tyre technology which means that even old bikes handle a lot better than they used to!

I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on awakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning.
    Aleister Crowley (1875 – 1947)

Blackboard paint – Covers a multitude of sins!

Wild01
    Participant

I would have to say the Aluminium frame and tyre performance! I can’t believe how light bikes are these days compared to steel frame bikes.

Wilba Wild 01

Radar

To reply to my own question; Brakes. When I look at my T Cat’s superbly powerful brakes, and then look at the lash up on my RD, the progress in the 10 years that seperates the bikes is obvious. Things have also moved on a long way from the bvrakes fitted to the T Cat, to the Radially mounted brakes on the latest crop of sportsbikes. How much more can the big four continue to push the envelope? The likes of the R1,ZX10R and the Blade have now reached such levels of overall performance (not just braking),that I really struggle to see areas where bikes could be made technically better in a way that can be applied on the roads by a reasonably competent rider. Also I wonder if these changes, fantastic though they are have actually added to motorcycling enjoyment, or just to its expense and danger?
    This is a real question for me righty now as I thinking seriously about chaging the T cat for a newer, more techically able bike. But what will I really be getting for the big expense involved?

Donate – it makes you feel good!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.