My Lotus Seven replica

Home Forums Pure Petrolhead My Lotus Seven replica

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    imperialdata
    Keymaster

Just noticed I’d never posted a pic of my 7 build, mainly because digital cameras didn’t exist when I built it!

Not to be defeated, I’ve climbed in the loft and got an old 35mm print (remember them?) and scanned it in.

dave-lotus-seven-replica-sharp.jpg

I bought a custom-built stainless monocoque chassis and proceeded to add my own bits, salvaging those I could from the donor vehicle. It ran a 2 litre Pinto with tweaked carbs and had a gorgeous sounding ‘zorst. Only problem with the pipe was that when you pulled in to the opposite side kerb, all the leaves and crisp wrappers blew up in your face. Small price to pay for the fun I had with the car though. It handled really well and had a good turn of speed, mainly because of its weight.

I thoroughly enjoyed the build and the engineering problems it posed. The chassis kit I started with had ‘back-of-a-fag-packet’ instructions which didn’t really work, hence only the chassis, hood and plastics remaining from the original kit specification.  Don’t get me started on the hood… I had to make my own folding mechanism (I just shivered for some reason :o) and re-tailor the supplied hood with a new roll of double duck to get it to fit properly. Oh how I laughed….

Anyway, the trials and tribulations all add up to a great learning experience and some new skin on your knuckles, but I would recommend a self-build to anyone, especially if you come from an engineering background.

Champs
    Participant

What happened to your 7?

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Well I had 5 cars at that time – a nice Porsche 944, an 825 Rover, a Suzuki Jeep, an AC Cobra replica and this 7. I also had 2 motorbikes. Yes, I’ll admit I was a little bit of a petrolhead. Then, just when I thought life couldn’t get any better, I met a really attractive French girl who moved in with me…..

I’ll save the keystrokes, you can work out the rest  ;D

Radar

Well I had 5 cars at that time – a nice Porsche 944, an 825 Rover, a Suzuki Jeep, an AC Cobra replica and this 7. I also had 2 motorbikes. Yes, I’ll admit I was a little bit of a petrolhead. Then, just when I thought life couldn’t get any better, I met a really attractive French girl who moved in with me…..

I’ll save the keystrokes, you can work out the rest  ;D

He is a sensible married lad now to said lady, with two lovely kids. He had to sacrifce such a lot though, he is down to a 911 turbo and ZX9R these days….

That kit had great control cables and I liked that 825

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.