My doomed loom

Home Forums Motorcycle help wanted My doomed loom

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    welshkev
    Participant

For all you guys that offered help and advise about my wiring loom I thank you. HOWEVER an auto electrician I am not, I shall explain.

I decided to go down the route of assess and repair as it seemed any loom bought would have to be adapted anyway.
    It all looked good, bike started, battery charging, the bike was ticking over lovely, time for a cuppa.

As I looked through the frosted glass at the outline of the bike I admired the orange glow that emminated from the bike.
    A lifetime later it dawned on me….. it shouldn’t be glowing.

The flames were quickly doused and after much sniggering from the father-in-law I returned to my tea.

My fuse box is not what it was, neither is the seat and the wires?
    well I’m back to square one.

This didn’t upset me, the insurance company did.
    It seems had the bike burnt to a cinder they would replace everything apart from what actually caused the fire in this case the fuse box.

So in short my project starts again and any encouraging words would be appreciated.
    cheers.

Radar

Blimely WK sounds a bit hairy. Might be time for a new loom. I would want to know why the fusebox fried, what was the output from the alternator?

welshkev
    Participant

Morning Radar, a friend who seemed to know says a wire rubbed through between the frame and tank and welded itself to the frame thus overloading the fuse box. Does that sound plausible? To be honest its all Klingon to me.
    I’ll keep you updated on any progress, hopefully meeting up sometime.

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Fuses are designed to trip the circuit when overloaded or short-circuited. I’d arm myself with a wiring diagram and check the ratings of all fuses before tackling this as a repair.
    Unfortunately, you’d need to check all wiring to make sure the circuits are OK and this may be a mammoth project if you’re not electrically inclined.

How much would it cost to get the workshop who are doing the repair to do this for you? There may be a reduced rate because they are getting the insurance work anyway perhaps?

katana
    Participant

Sorry to hear that WK.

I had a simalar problem with the Kat a few years ago – back of the fuse box melted and took a big section of the loom with it. Mine was caused by the loom rubbing through on the corner of the battery box.

I managed to get hold of a second hand loom and grafted in the bits I needed. It was a pig of a job and I basically ended up unwrapping all of the loom to make sure that I’d got all of the dodgy bits. I found melted wiring from one end of the bike to the other. If it happened again I replace the whole loom rather then attempt a repair.

If you are going to tackle it this might come in handy:

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MOTORCYCLE-CONNECTOR-WIRING-LOOM-HARNESS-REPAIR-KIT-1_W0QQitemZ260334316764QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Motorcycle_Parts?hash=item260334316764&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2

I also got a load of connectors etc from here:

https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.