KTM 300 EXC 1998 SM Conversion Review

Home Forums Supermoto and off-road KTM 300 EXC 1998 SM Conversion Review

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    HippoDrones
    Participant

Have just got myself a project and this is part of it. It has tax and test and I not got the other donor bike yet so will review it before butchering it! [:D]

03072010273.jpg

way too many pics today to post them all so here is the album on photobucket in the post below

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Password required Pete

HippoDrones
    Participant
    katana
    Participant

Looks like a good project Pete. Here’s a couple of links that might come in handy.

Expansion pipe design, including software to help you design a pipe:
    https://microcarproject.tripod.com/html/expansion_chamber_design_softwar.htm

Two stroke tuners handbook:
    https://www.datafan.com/TunersHandbook/2-strokefiltered.html

HippoDrones
    Participant

Nice one Katana :) will be very helpful when I get the donor rolling chassis

HippoDrones
    Participant

I had a cheeky spin around the car park earlier and can confirm that this is a very nutty motorcycle! I can only imagine how bonkers the latest incarnations are 12-13yrs on! :D

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Looks good. You’re becoming quite a collector Pete!

HippoDrones
    Participant

lol shhh hahahaha

HippoDrones
    Participant

I think my Facebook status says pretty much everything about my first “legal” (lol) ride on the orange beastie:

quote:

ok: wheelies; check…. stoppies; check…. jumps; check…. scary fookin power delivery; checkcheckcheck…. OMG giggling; check…. hands and heart still shaking from just 10min on the stupid stupid bike; check! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

HippoDrones
    Participant

went into the garage this afternoon to find this:

05072010277.jpg

05072010278.jpg

05072010279.jpg

I pulled off the spanny and cleaned up the zorst mounting bracket and engine casings, then reassembled. I also put a 3rd spring on the zorst so hopefully that has solved the issue. Next ride will show if it has or not :)

05072010280.jpg

Radar

Looks fun Pete, did the work on the exhaust do the trick?

HippoDrones
    Participant

It certainly helped. Will get a new gasket when I get round to it and hopefully that will completely fix it.

The engine has just had a rebuild so is still effectively being run in, am going for the hard run in to maximise power hopefully, once its got another hour or 2 run time it should be quite a beast indeed.

The Mito I was after am guessing is no longer available as the owner isn’t replying to messages about it. I’ve put a Best Offer on another non runner but think the seller for that is dreaming if the expect to get over £1k for a non runner when there are immaculate fully sorted bikes going for the same money. Have offered then £450 to start with, we’ll see :)

HippoDrones
    Participant

Looks like I’ve found the donor bike so this is not gonna be a very long review! lol [:D]

https://kent.gumtree.com/kent/36/60934936.html

14591379.jpg

Radar

You can review the conversion when it is done. I love the Mitos styling. You going to get a fairing for the mini 916 look?

HippoDrones
    Participant

Although it comes with full fairings, unfortunately the Mito is not the 916 lookie likie, tis the previous model. Am prob gonna start over with the fairings anyways and get some grp Tyga ones

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.