KTM 1050 Adventure test ride

Home Forums European KTM 1050 Adventure test ride

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    elessimo
    Participant

On a cold and strangely cloudless day I eventually got up our steep drive and over to Tewkesbury, where AMS Motorcycles had a nice new KTM 1050 Adventure prepped and ready to go.

I also took the opportunity to test my Eskeez thermals, having bought them last year (online only) for a good price but never worn them in anger. As there was no rain forecast I togged up in my dry protection: Knox light wind-proof jacket, Bikers Paradise armoured jeans and Alpinestars leather jacket (with perforated patches for permanent airflow).

As I was running late the M50 became a good yardstick – although buffeted by strong crosswinds the thermals kept me warm without overheating at a constant 70mph+. Cough cough…

First impressions of the KTM: a very good-looking machine – tall and black with very orange detailing. For a short-arse it was either teetering on both tiptoes or just the right foot down but at least the 850mm seating position was comfortable. I’d probably add risers to bring the bars back a bit, but the view is good and the bar width perfect. The guys at AMS assured me that the 3 bars of fuel should easily be enough for the ride.

P1090074_zpskuyrn1gz.jpg

Pulling away: fuelling is spot on, gear changing is slick, and low speed steering precise. Traction control and ABS were left on and Street mode chosen: the informative information screen started flashing ‘WARNING OF ICE’ from the outset of the trip. A quick blast down the M5 to the Cheltenham turn-off proved that the stubby screen gives good protection and the KTM is stable in turbulence.
    Acceleration was OK but not outstanding, although this is the entry-level Adventure bike from KTM.

Turning off through Elmstone Hardwicke onto the Gloucestershire back-roads was a good call – the 1050’s quick steering and responsive pick-up made it easy to chuck around. It seemed lighter than it’s advertised 212kg (dry) weight and the tallish seat height was only really noticeable when stopping off road and when trying to put a stone under the side-stand on wet ground. The WP suspension was firm, but could have been adjusted had I had the time.

So it was through Woodmancote and straight up Cleeve Hill for a quick photo-shoot at the common, where the KTM picked its way easily into the quarry car-park, making light work of ruts and stony ground. In fact even those few metres off tarmac gave a hint of why KTM is regarded as making the best off-road adventure bikes: it induces an amazing sense of confidence even in me.

P1090071_zpsnkunjrre.jpg

Time to switch riding mode to Sport: and yes, it does make a difference – acceleration is now more akin to the recently tested Triumph 800s although still lagging behind the MV 800 Turismo, and without their gorgeous triple sound. Sweeping down the bends of the B4632 on the other side of Cleeve Hill into Winchcombe was fun, but the smaller lanes through Gretton and north to Alderton were even better.

A fast blast along the open B4077 past the Hobnails Inn reflected the fact that I’d now got used to the character of this bike: it overtakes quickly and when both anchors are applied hard slows fast with no drama from the ton – that ABS is seriously smooth.  Although the big Austrian twin vibrates a bit at about 6000rpm the seat is comfortable and I could have carried on longer, but I was now running out of fuel and saving my pennies for a night out later.

P1090070_zpsmcjg3jo5.jpg

So to the verdict. Plus points (for me) include the looks – I like the mainly black paint job: KTM orange when used judiciously looks stunning. The electronic displays were easy to use and pretty good once I got used to them although the gear selection number was a bit thin. The quality of the parts used was obvious – it feels a seriously tough machine, although the cast wheels would restrict off-road sorties to trails only.

The confidence induced when straying off tarmac, even for a few metres, was amazing – made me want to take one onto the trails. Sport mode is fun; the traction control and ABS are invisible but work very well; and the big twin is nimble and light on the move. For a new rider with 30”+ inside leg this big twin would be well worth trying out.

Down sides: well, in Street mode the bike was a tad uninspiring and the somewhat vibey twin needed a better sounding exhaust. There is no easy seat lowering option although the 1050 is the lowest of the Adventure models, and the KTM is quite expensive when compared to similar bikes with similar (or more) power such as the 800 Triumphs and MVs.

Conclusion: the KTM 1050 was certainly a worthwhile test – the bike would be good for an affluent newcomer with long legs although it didn’t quite float my boat (as I’m none of those!). But I’m now looking forward to trying out both the technologically advanced 150bhp 1190 Adventure and the simpler 690 Enduro: I can see why Charlie Boorman is such a fan of the marque – I’d love to try any KTM on some gentle trails…. 

Oh, after 3.5hrs in low temperature dressed in summer gear I felt just slightly chilly but not properly cold – could have carried on for a few more hours with no problem. Those Eskeez thermals are good: I’d have been far too hot in them and my textile ARMR suit….    8)

Radar

Sounds like it is a fight between the Triumph and the MV for business still. Great review and pics.

Here is your MV review as point of comparison

https://bikemeet.net/forums/topic/mv-agusta-turismo-review/

elessimo
    Participant

Sounds like it is a fight between the Triumph and the MV for business still. Great review and pics.

Here is your MV review as point of comparison

https://bikemeet.net/forums/topic/mv-agusta-turismo-review/

Apparently the 2016 Tigers have a ‘Low’ seat option and much improved suspension – could be the deal-breaker for stumpy me. The MV just can’t be ridden sensibly: it’s a gorgeous bike but risks losing my licence. Will try a lowered Lusso next year…..  8)

Radar

“The MV just can’t be ridden sensibly: it’s a gorgeous bike but risks losing my licence. year…..”

I might be in trouble with my Brutale then!

elessimo
    Participant

“The MV just can’t be ridden sensibly: it’s a gorgeous bike but risks losing my licence. year…..”

I might be in trouble with my Brutale then!

I wouldn’t be suprised…. :D

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.