Kawasaki ZX6R – 2000 – Quick Kwak

Home Forums Jap stuff Kawasaki ZX6R – 2000 – Quick Kwak

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Radar

Not Exactly Pristine, but…

I have got to say that while my old friend Simon’s ZX6R may not be the most sparkling example you will ever see,  the battle scars detract not one one jot from how well this fantastic bike rides.

Thunder in the Mountains

All About the Engine

As with so many big Kawasaki bikes that I have ridden the engine totally dominates the riding experience.  The four pot mill defines the character of the whole bike:  Aggressive, snarling the 600cc mill feels more like a 750. My own 600 Thundercat has similar power and performance, but the ZX6R feels more urgent somehow. I rode the bike in the Pyrenees and the engine really was superb tool.  The bike was virtually grabbed by the scruff of its’ neck and chucked at a corner. Coming out of hairpins you needed to keep the corner speed and revs up to get the slingshot right. Coming straight off my Yamaha FZ1S I struggled with this a little in places, but it is all down to technique and getting used to the old girl.

Good in the Bends Too.

The bikes handling really backs up that stonking engine well, feeling very planted in quicker bends. In one section of flowing bends that I tackled the old girl could be hurled about with some abandon…superb. There is a fly in the ointment however and in this case, as with a number of big Kwacks I have ridden, it is the brakes. Whilst very effective the lever travel is huge and this can be a little un nerving at times! I also had a little trouble balancing braking and throttle blipping too.

Patina with Pace!

So overall this is a fast, fun bike and the bumps and bruises around the bike just add a patina that tells a story of a bike that has been used and hugely enjoyed…you can’t say fairer than that!

Another 6R Reveiw

Kawasaki ZX6R – 1997 – Don’t Underestimate an Old Bike!

HippoDrones
    Participant

I am definetly a Kawasaki fan now, love my 636. I do hope we can sort a visit to Middle Earth on it before I sell it.

Radar

I am definetly a Kawasaki fan now, love my 636. I do hope we can sort a visit to Middle Earth on it before I sell it.

Be good to see you again bud, perhaps you and Gix could kick of WW3!

HippoDrones
    Participant

Be good to see you again bud, perhaps you and Gix could kick of WW3!

sounds a good idea…. preemptive first strike! :D

Champs
    Participant

That photo is amazing! Sad fact that its completely setup and whilst tucked up under the screen, I was doing barely enough speed to keep it upright! :)

I bought this bike a couple of weeks after I passed my test, a mate of mine suggested I get a 600 instead of a 500 because although a 500 would be great to learn on, I would soon get bored of it. He was right, this bike has served me well. When I had the bike originally it had a horrible dull spot at 7’000Rpm, this wasn’t an issue when I first got it but as I grew with confidence it was a pain. Lowering the front cog down a tooth (17 to 16 if I remember correctly) ironed the issue out.

If you keep it below 7’000 its great through traffic, above 7’000 the engine makes you gurn like an idiot. On the tight twistys of the Pyrenees it could keep the litre bikes honest, although it runs out of legs pretty quick when your on the boring A and B roads of the UK, especially after the sprocket change.

I have been fortunate enough to ride a range of bikes over my few years of riding and I keep coming back to 600’s. For UK roads they can easily loose your license if your that way inclined, I topped mine out on a german autobahn at 158 on the GPS, but on the twistys the only failure is the rider!

I just need some decent brakes, and a bit more skill!

Radar

Simon is still running his trusty 6R to this day…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.