Hog, Duke and Beemer…Leicestershire ride out – Bikes and Planes!! Pics

Home Forums BikeMeet Cafe Hog, Duke and Beemer…Leicestershire ride out – Bikes and Planes!! Pics

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Radar

With a fresh MOT and a new tax disc on the Ducati when the sun came out this morning there was only one thing left to do…ride! What a glorious day I had…Ses joined me on his trusty BMW and we headed over to Brum to meet up with Thumper and his mighty HD Street Bob.

I had almost forgotten just how good the Duke is to ride, a real bag full of fun…the vibey V twin bellowing through twin Termi’s as the rev counter needle swings round to red…Oh yes. The ride was generally was pretty steady but the Ducati is a bike that taps directly into central nervous system and seems almost alive as you swing from bend to bend. God, I am so glad I bought this bike!

Once at Thumpers we had a quick cuppa before deciding to cut across country to check out Leicester Airport. Much like rural Herefordshire and Worcestershire I rode last weekend much of this area is again truly lovely as we passed (respectably slowly) through some charming villages. Again the the sun was out and the temperatures summer like. We all really needed a day like this. Once again Thumper showing impressive pace on his HD, God knows what he will be like once it uprated with a Stage 2 kit and free breathing pipes!

After a brief halt for variation on a light salad we found ourselves at the Airport. In truth it is more of an airfield and an eclectic collection of vehicles and aircraft were dotted about once we negotiated the crater strewn entrance track. A 1960’s Abbot self propelled Gun was ‘Gate-Guardian’ (basically a tank with a turret that doesn’t swivel), and we passed a WW2 Spitfire and a V1 flying bomb replica as we made our to park up next to the control tower. This contained a cafe/bar with a view over the airfield where we could watch the helicopters and light aircraft come and go over a cuppa.

P3161579_zps908886e4.jpg
    P3161578_zpsa71a35e4.jpg
    Battle of the Twins

P3161590_zps20d7ee5b.jpg
    Ses and Thumper enjoying a cuppa at the control tower cafe

P3161597_zps4b3a3240.jpg
    Radar detects a Spitfire!

P3161604_zps85918876.jpg

Spitfire and V1…not something you see everyday!

All to soon we had to head home, Ses and I taking a direct route back to Worcestershire while Thumper enjoyed himself taking the back roads back to his Brummy base.

Another cracking days riding and great to get back on my Ducati once again! Cheers lads! 

Champs
    Participant

if I remember my history correctly, didn’t the spitfire’s use their wing tips to nudge the v1’s off course?

Radar

if I remember my history correctly, didn’t the spitfire’s use their wing tips to nudge the v1’s off course?

Late model Spits did indeed do this: I think it was MK.XVI with the 31 litre Griffon rather than the tiddly 27 litre Merlin variants!

Radar

Late model Spits did indeed do this: I think it was later models like the MK.XVI with the 31 litre Griffon rather than the tiddly 27 litre Merlin variants!

Champs
    Participant

those pilots had balls of steel!

ses310

Cracking day out and so good to be out on the bike again :)

Radar

Cracking day out and so good to be out on the bike again :)

It was indeed. I really enjoyed myself, first time out in several months for the Ducati

ses310

Was first proper run of the year for me! Looking forward to many more :)

Thumper
    Participant

A nice ride despite the dodgy company ;-)
    A good place if you like aircraft though
    You can have a drink or bite to eat while the take off and landings take place
    I have had a few helicopter lesson s here, and Liecester Herlecenter is a great place to learn
    Can’t wait for the HD to be run in!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.