Help recovering old number?

Home Forums Classics Help recovering old number?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    triumph
    Participant

I bought a basket case Francis Barnett Light Cruiser a few months ago with no paper work, but it still has its two absolutely gorgeous original pressed aluminium number plates. Id love to reuse these instead of having tacky reproductions on it with a replacement reg number. How do i go about recovering the reg number and registering the bike in my name? even if the reg no. turns out to be transfered to something else how would i get a new one?

imperialdata
    Keymaster

I think that you need to contact the DVLA and check whether they hold a full record of the bike on their computer system. Then I think they send you a V62 form.

If you then send this to the DVLA in Swansea (with a cheque for around £19) you should receive a new V5C in your name.

DVLA is the best first contact as they will be able to tell you what you need right from the start.

katana
    Participant

Best thing to do is join the Francis Barnett owners club as they will help you through the process and might be able to supply supporting documentation inorder to reclaim the reg.

the club link is here:

https://www.francis-barnett.co.uk/

Here is some general info on the process taken from a DVLA leaflet and a historic vechile owners club site

In the early 1970s DVLA began to take over and computerise the records of vehicles previously maintained by
    local vehicle taxation offices. This process involved the registration of new vehicles and the “conversion” of the records
    of vehicles already in circulation.
    Because of abuse of the registration procedures, the computer record was closed for old vehicles in 1983.
    Vehicles which were undergoing renovation/restoration at that time were issued with letters from DVLA.
    These letters explained that the details of the vehicle had been noted and the procedures to be used in the future.
    Until 1990, original registration numbers were only reissued if the vehicle could be shown to be rare or historically significant.
    In November 1990, however, new rules were introduced which allowed vehicles to claim back their original marks on a “non-transferable” basis. “Non-transferable* means that the mark cannot be transferred onto another vehicle, although it can be replaced by a cherished number.
    In December 1991, we extended non-transferability to age-related numbers allocated to pre 1963 vehicles, where it was
    not possible to establish a link to a specific number, or where the original number had been transferred off.

How do these new rules work? The following questions and answers should help.

How can I register my vehicle under its original number? This number is not recorded at DVLA because
    it missed the 1983 deadline.

You will need to complete an application Form V765 (available for download from http://www.direct.gov.uk/motoring or from
    one of DVLA’s local offices). Also, you must be able to provide a documentary link between your vehicle and the
    number you are claiming. This can take the form of an original “old-style” log book, pre 1983 tax disc or MoT certificate, etc.

This must be accompanied by a recent photograph of the vehicle and either the current Registration Document/Certificate
    (V5or V5/C) or a V55/5 “application for a first licence for a motor vehicle and declaration of registration”.
    The V55/5 is available from a DVLA local office or DVLA Swansea.
    If you do not wish to send your original documents through the post you may ask for authenticated photocopies to be made at any DVLA local office, and these can then be used to accompany your application.

You then need to send your completed application to the Registrar. Members and Non Members see below.
    The authenticated application can then, either be forwarded to DVLA or returned to you for processing.
    The Registration Number will be allocated on a non-transferable basis.

What if the DVLA inform you that you cannot have the original number?
    It may be that the number has been re-allocated, or transferred to another vehicle some time ago. In these circumstances,
    DVLA will allocate an age-related number to your vehicle – a number that is appropriate for the age of the vehicle.
    If this is a non-suffix or prefix it will also be non-transferable.

My vehicle does not have a V5 but I have a restoration/renovation letter issued by DVLA. What should I do?
    You will need to apply for the number from Vehicle Customer Services, DVLA, Swansea, SA6 7JL A completed V55/5
    (available from a DVLA local office or DVLA Swansea, see overleaf for contact details) and a copy of the renovation/restoration letter will be required plus copies of any available documentation. An inspection is necessary and will be arranged. Provided the vehicle details are in order your vehicle will keep its original number. Numbers assigned under these
    procedures will be on a transferable basis.

The original number of my vehicle which was transferred off or lost some time ago. I have no idea what my
    current number should be. What can I do?

You will need to provide proof of the year of manufacture, as long as the original chassis plate number is on the vehicle this can be established. (If you do not have the original chassis number then things become a little difficult but proof of approximate age can usually be proved by personal inspection by an Official of an owners club.)

The club will supply a letter (contact the Registrar.) with all the details to support a V55/5 application for an age-related number (non-transferable if the vehicle was manufactured before 1963).
    Claims for registration on this basis should be directed to a DVLA local office..

What if I have no information to support a claim?

If no dating or other evidence is available to support an application or if your vehicle has been restored or rebuilt using
    a majority of used parts from different vehicles, it is likely that your vehicle will be allocated a number from the “Q” series.
    This Indicates that the origins of the vehicle are unknown. But if new information becomes available at a later date
    then you can apply for a more appropriate number to be allocated.
    Applications for numbers which fall into these circumstances can be made at any DVLA local office.

What if I import a vehicle from abroad that has no documentation?

So long as the vehicle has a chassis number, the club can identify the car and will issue a letter with all the details
    to present to the DVLA.
    If you do not have the original chassis number then things become a little difficult but proof of approximate age can usually be proved (by personal inspection by an Official of an owners club.)

The DVLA have tightened up on their requirements for proof of registration. Make sure your evidence states both registration number and chassis number or it will not be accepted.

NOTE: As we understand it, it is not possible to obtain an age related plate for a pile of bits, even if the chassis number and engine numbers match and the car has a competition history.
    The car must be fully assembled, MoT’d, insured (use the chassis number/engine number as recognition mark when obtaining a MoT and insurance if you do not have a registration number) and roadworthy.

imperialdata
    Keymaster

I’ve heard that many owners clubs are usually helpful when it comes to the older bikes as there are lots of people in the same situation out there.

Thanks for clearing that up Kat and putting such a comprehensive post on the subject.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.