Harley Davidson Heritage Soft Tail test ride Feb 2016

Home Forums American Pie Harley Davidson Heritage Soft Tail test ride Feb 2016

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    elessimo
    Participant

First test ride of the year: a Harley Davidson Soft-tail Heritage – 1690cc of Milwaukee iron. Why not? Trusted friends & family have Harleys, so there must be something to them….. Arrived at Harley Cheltenham at 9.15am with frozen hands: my winter gloves were Thumpers’ cast-offs – good with inners, no doubt, but I don’t use them. Time to invest in hand-guards, methinks.

A quick introduction to the controls (ABS, keyless ignition, running boards, digital options on the speedo panel, etc.), and it was off into the traffic. Just as well no-one was filming: I accelerated out towards the Lex Mead roundabout, legs flailing around trying to find the running boards while my eyes were firmly on the traffic and pot-holes. Eventually the feet found their way, but neutral seem to have been left at the dealers….

P1090271_zpsbrzvcgd9.jpg

By Coombe Hill I’d got the hang of it, but the dealer was right – piloting a Harley is different. I’d expected a smooth ride with an agricultural motor, but the reality was: a rough, bouncy ride with a grunty (if vibey and low-geared) engine and a clunky gear change. Not GS1200-first-gear-cliff clunky, but definitely notchy. The suspension was hard – too hard for the rough by-ways of Gloucestershire, but the engine sound is to die for…

P1090273_zpsu6bie9zs.jpg

The riding position was a little like straddling a fat horse while holding a Tai Chi stance, but the low seat was comfortable. The bike was strangely twitchy when the handlebars were moved while underway, but the big bike tracked nicely through bends, albeit with a little understeer – probably caused by my over-compensation for the big running-boards.
    The mirrors gave a perfect view, completely ignoring the gentle vibrations. The big screen let me ride with my visor up without getting snow or hail in my eyes.

With just the one big speedo to look at, I found it strange to not have a rev counter; but then managed to work out how to get the gear notification and digital revs on screen. And that showed just how low-revving the big American lump is: most action occurs between 2000 and 3500rpm; at 80mph in 6th gear it reaches 2,850rpm. The dealer later told me that it only revs to 5,500rpm, though it would be shaking itself to death at that rate.

P1090282_zpsatg1ogqy.jpg

Just before I reached home I stopped at Jed’s place and revved up: Jed came out and laughed…. The trip down our drive was uneventful – the first Harley to make it. No problem. Grabbed a bite to eat then lurched back up the drive: significantly harder that way – the vagueness and under-steer nearly launched me into the bank across the forestry lane.

P1090281_zpsozv9vdki.jpg

With my lovely wife onboard the twitchy handling was eliminated: this is a bike made for touring two-up. By the time we got to Plump Hill it was snowing – a bit surreal: we agreed that this was a bike for hot countries with big roads. But the handling had got better and overtaking was a breeze – just open the throttle, whatever gear you’re in.
    Debs loved the high pillion position and the plushness of the seat. Unfortunately she also loved the Harley leather jackets, with their fancy tool-work and tassles.

Mean%20amp%20clean_zpsqixao7fv.jpg

After experiencing the ‘vanishing’ church at Norton, we dropped the beast off at the dealer. Not my cuppa, as I thought it looked a bit ugly: too much chrome, too bitty and backside-heavy. But I will be asking Jed, Ade and Thumper for a try-out on their Harleys: who knows – there might be a better-suited model for me out there somewhere. When I’m a decade older.

Happy%20couple_zps5ihz6lo1.jpg

The blast back home on the TDM was a bit weird: the bark of the Beowulfs sounded a bit weedy after the Harley grunt. But as Debs said: ‘You know what? This is a good old bike isn’t it?’ And the Yam did get us home through two more snowstorms in great comfort, and the tyres behaved themselves for a change.   

Radar

Blimey, you are turning into a real motorcycle tart! How many different bikes have you ridden over the last couple of years? Another interesting review…like you I prefer the more paired down look, Thumper’s 1585 Street Bob is more my thing.

https://bikemeet.net/forums/topic/harley-davidson-1585-dyna-street-bob-review-and-pictures/

New dealer for Victory and Indian has just opened near us…well worth a look

https://bikemeet.net/forums/topic/mid-west-moto-victory-indian-motorcycle-dealer-open-day-pictures/

elessimo
    Participant

Blimey, you are turning into a real motorcycle tart!

Radar, see today’s Africa Twin review: yes, I am that tart! 

Where exactly is that new Victory & Indian dealer? We should compare them with our Harley reviews….   

Radar

Blimey, you are turning into a real motorcycle tart!

Radar, see today’s Africa Twin review: yes, I am that tart! 

Where exactly is that new Victory & Indian dealer? We should compare them with our Harley reviews….   

It is near Bewdley, well worth a visit. Just seen your Africa Twin review…sounded great. Eddie, a friend of Thumper and I going way back has one of the original 1990’s models. Had it years and loves it

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.