gilera smt 50cc 2006

Home Forums Motorcycle help wanted gilera smt 50cc 2006

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    jamiesmt
    Participant

Hi my name is jamie and i have a gilera smt 50 which i have just brought as spares or repairs. When i first looked at the bike it seemed to be in good condition and only needed a new spark plug a bit of fuel and she started. Now however after riding a few times it started to splutter and cut out, on closer inspection there was coolant pipes going into the carb!! i have removed these and put them on the only logical way i could see but still once she finnaly kicked over i took her down the road and it cut out again there also seems to be alot of smoke??? also the headlight and rear light died on me the other night and the battery keeps losing charge i thought originaly it was the magneto coil but after replacing this the lights still do not work all the rest of the electrics are fine..
    any help would be much appreciated
    thanks kindly
    jamie

HippoDrones
    Participant

Hi Jamie, welcome to tbf :)

you sure they were coolant pipes rather than breather/vacuume pipes or even more important 2stroke oil pipes from the oil reservoir? Does it run premix or has it got a working 2stroke oil reservoir/pump?

Sounds like if its blowing smoke but still turns over that your rings are on the way out or you have the wrong mix of 2stroke/fuel/air. Is it smoke or steam?
    Whats happening with the temperature guage?
    Is the spark plug gap set at the right distance?

katana
    Participant

Hi and welcome Jamie

To answer some of your questions and maybe ask a few as well:

1. Coolant pipes should go to the carb – I had a TZ125 that did the same its to help stop carb icing

2. Where did you put the coolant pipes you took off the carb?

3. The smoke could be a consequence of the above

4. Electrical problems seem to be a common theme with Gileras – have you got a wiring diagram or manual?

5. If you haven’t got one then borrow or buy youself a cheap multimeter like this: https://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=37279. You’ll need it to find the cause of you electrical problems.

this link might come in handy as well:
    https://www.gileraspares.co.uk/spares/modelImage.asp?modelID=1608

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.