France 2007 Part 4 Day 10 – The Long Haul Home

Home Forums Biking abroad Bikemeet 2007 France France 2007 Part 4 Day 10 – The Long Haul Home

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Radar

Day 10 – The long haul home

We had to be up early for the final blast up the A26 to Calais. Seven bikes neatly line astern at high speed must of looked like a TGV train. The last few miles on French soil seemed to pass in the blink of an eye. Before I knew it my bike was tucked away on the ferry car deck and we are wistfully looking back towards France from the top deck of the ship. Memories of a fabulous journey were running through my mind, going back to normal life is going to be so tough after a run like this.

The ferry ride was smooth and the sun glistened on the sea. Even Calais can look quite pretty sometimes. I rather suspect that all seven of us were thinking the same thing; can we just turn around, go back and repeat it all over again!

P6090182.jpg
    Digger, thinking of 2008 by the look of it…

P6090183.jpg
    Even Calais can look sort of attractive

Once back in Dover the pothole-strewn roads and seemingly blind car drivers brought us back to reality with a thump. There was time for one last blast up the M20 together before the group began to split off from each other to head for home.

P6090189.jpg
    Back in the UK and looking delighted, roll on 2008!

The Durham lads took the M25 North to join the M1 whilst I was joined by Toggsy and Prezzo taking the M25 South to pick up the M3 or M40. The joy and sense of adventure had gone from our ride now; we were just killing miles to get home. Prezzo peeled off at the M3 and when Toggsy headed off up the M40 to head for Brum I was biking on my own for the first time in over a week and it felt horrible. Almost a sense of bereavement swept over me.

But then I began to reflect on the ride and the memories that I will have forever, the new friends that I had made. I got home with 3537km added to the odometer of my travel stained Thundercat. The bike, despite being incredibly dirty, had never looked so good. So was it worth the 21-year wait? God was it ever! So thanks to ‘Towcrowe’ for the organisation and to the whole crew for being part of the best 10 days biking of my life.

Digger
    Participant

Your very welcome mate.

prezzo
    Participant

A Big thanx to all for a brilliant trip, Tony get your thinking cap on to make sure your at Dover last week of June for the
    2008 TRIP!!!!! great company….

towcrowe
    Participant

brilliant write up mate, it was a pleasure from leaving england to returning, take it easy, tow

towcrowe
    Participant

very well written article about the trip to europe However towcrowe is busy next june working in london again! so you,ll have to take the blow up version of him again(my arse). Or if paul preston finishes the joinery work he started many moons ago at our house i will allow towcrowe to go to europe 2008 ex

daz
    Participant

well written tony cant wait for u to put those pics of my shooting skills on and diggers arse,seems to be coming somewhat of a fetish of his.take care nd c ya soon…daz

Radar

quote:

Originally posted by daz

well written tony cant wait for u to put those pics of my shooting skills on and diggers arse,seems to be coming somewhat of a fetish of his.take care nd c ya soon…daz

Cheers Daz, I have added your pictures to Part 2 if you want to take a look

https://bikemeet.net/forums/topic/france-2007-part-2-days-5-6/

Radar

quote:

Originally posted by towcrowe

very well written article about the trip to europe However towcrowe is busy next june working in london again! so you,ll have to take the blow up version of him again(my arse). Or if paul preston finishes the joinery work he started many moons ago at our house i will allow towcrowe to go to europe 2008 ex

Cheers for the feeback, please let him go!

sid
    Participant

good read tony
    told you you’d love it out there

katana
    Participant

bloody good write up.

maybe I’ll buy a bike capable of high speed crusing and come next year?

Radar

quote:

Originally posted by sid

good read tony
    told you you’d love it out there

You were spot on Sid! It was brilliant

Radar

quote:

Originally posted by katana

bloody good write up.

maybe I’ll buy a bike capable of high speed crusing and come next year?

The more the merrier!

Scouser
    Participant

Brilliant write up as usual Radar! Excellent pictures, gave a good feel for the journey. That’s another tick in the box for things to do before you die, now all that’s left is:-

Liposuction
    Colonic irrigation
    Threesome with bisexual women
    Piloting a Spitfire
    Mastering walking in stilletoes
    Walking down the aisle with your daughters
    Owning an Audi TT!
    Doing the Isle of Mann TT – Mad Sunday ride
    Breast reduction surgery….

max
    Participant

Brilliant write up’s and pic’s as always.[:D]

Tomo
    Participant

sounds like yas had a blast, ill be with yas next year…………………………..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.