Filtering – The longest

Home Forums BikeMeet Cafe Filtering – The longest

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Born2BMild
    Participant

Whats the longest distance you have ever filtered?

Gix
    Participant

21 miles give or take a half mile, when there was an overturned wagon on the M1, tail back started just after Rotherham and M1 was like a car park till I got near Tibshelf services North of Nottingham. The top of my left hand was actually bruised from slipping clutch with brake so much, stopped at the first layby on the A42 to rest my hand![:0]

max
    Participant

about 10 miles,i love filtering the faster the better[xx(][:D]

sid
    Participant

all the way from the A14/M11 to the M25 slip road on the way back from the bmf show at peterborough roughly 40 miles at speeds upto 90mph

Digger
    Participant

In 2004 coming back from france on a friday afternoon,we filtered from the m25 upto the joining of the m1 then filtered all the way upto jnc24 then we were ok on the A50 untill we joined the m6 at jnc15 then filtered upto jnc19.It took 7 hours coming home from dover…….on bikes.

LeviathanRan
    Participant

As a Lerner, I’ve never actually tried to filter before, what do I need to look out for and remember?
    I am aware I must wait behind the car in front when I reach the end of the traffic cue, and that’ it is not safe to (usually) exceed speeds of 20mph.
    I also know that it is okay to filter on either side of the traffic (left or right hand side)
    Also I am aware to watch out for jealous 4-wheeler numpties blocking my path with their glorified matchbox toys, and basically keep your senses sharp as a sword.

Is there anything else I need to keep in mind while doing this? Obviously having a fast bike that can zip past the traffic safely is required, I doubt my gz will be fast enough with me on it lol

Radar

quote:

Originally posted by LeviathanRan

As a Lerner, I’ve never actually tried to filter before, what do I need to look out for and remember?
    I am aware I must wait behind the car in front when I reach the end of the traffic cue, and that’ it is not safe to (usually) exceed speeds of 20mph.
    I also know that it is okay to filter on either side of the traffic (left or right hand side)
    Also I am aware to watch out for jealous 4-wheeler numpties blocking my path with their glorified matchbox toys, and basically keep your senses sharp as a sword.

Is there anything else I need to keep in mind while doing this? Obviously having a fast bike that can zip past the traffic safely is required, I doubt my gz will be fast enough with me on it lol

Watch for them changing lane without warning too

sid
    Participant

dont filter up the left hand side of lgv/hgv’s they have limited vision and may need to swing out and you may miss the signal that theyre turning left

LeviathanRan
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by sid

dont filter up the left hand side of lgv/hgv’s they have limited vision and may need to swing out and you may miss the signal that theyre turning left

Good job you mentioned that one mate, I don’t think I would have remembered about their limited left-hand side views.

Cars are famous for indicator less lane switching around here, especially on this round about in cross-gates (Leeds)

I think I’ll give it a try when I’ve fully learned to control my bike and get all the performance I can out of it, since I’m going to need to rocket away pretty quickly from the lights.

R6_Bird
    Participant

Yeah i didn’t start filtering until a couple of wks after test and i had a bit of confidence on my bike. you get used the the arseholes in 4x4s blocking yr path (and general arseholes who clearly know yr there), lorrys that you need to give a wide birth and yooths at front of lights that want a race.

But going back to subject i think i done aroun 10 miles on A14 one evening, and leaving Brands in the pouring rain…not sure how far that was to si’s!! hehe. oh and pretty much all the way from Peterborough to Hunstanton on the Easter Bank holiday.

sid
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by R6_Bird

But going back to subject i think i done aroun 10 miles on A14 one evening, and leaving Brands in the pouring rain…not sure how far that was to si’s!! hehe. oh and pretty much all the way from Peterborough to Hunstanton on the Easter Bank holiday.

that would be about 30 miles baby [:D]

LeviathanRan
    Participant

quote:

Yeah i didn’t start filtering until a couple of wks after test and i had a bit of confidence on my bike. you get used the the arseholes in 4x4s blocking yr path (and general arseholes who clearly know yr there), lorrys that you need to give a wide birth and yooths at front of lights that want a race.

Did you have the R6 when you did this? or.. was it a case of CG125_Bird ? :P
    Actually, did you hop onto an R6 for your first bike? :S
    (I know this is slightly off-topic… but it IS a question about filtering..so.. :P)

Gix
    Participant

Most of the posts above are regarding high speed filtering through heavy but moving traffic Levi, not something that is recommended till you have a few miles slow filtering through slow moving or stationary traffic….for this practise I would recommend the M1, the 21 miles I did was through stationary traffic, and there is always a stretch of slow moving/stationary traffic on the South bound carrageway near Rotherham at rush hour, perfect for honing filter skills.[;)]

R6_Bird
    Participant

(I know this is slightly off-topic… but it IS a question about filtering..so.. :P)

pah, i’ve always been R6_Bird!!! hehe…had the R6 before i took test! well even before my CBT! went from zero to supersport.
    I’m constantly filtering through slow moving traffic commuting, but the A14 and M25 was at high speeds.oh new top speed 145mph! hehe.[:D]

LeviathanRan
    Participant

quote:

pah, i’ve always been R6_Bird!!! hehe…had the R6 before i took test! well even before my CBT! went from zero to supersport.
    I’m constantly filtering through slow moving traffic commuting, but the A14 and M25 was at high speeds.oh new top speed 145mph! hehe.[:D]

see!! If a girl can do It I’m pretty sure me, a Man could get right onto a sports machine after my test without any trouble :P

*oh dear.. I’m going to get beaten now…hehe*

Did you find it hard jumping right onto the super mad R6? A lot of people poo-poo the idea of a novice leaping before they can crawl, so to speak… and it’s sending me mixed messages about what to do!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.