Diesel Spillage

Home Forums BikeMeet Cafe Diesel Spillage

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Digger
    Participant

I live in town called Skelmersdale in Lancashire,it has no traffic lights but is full of big and small roundabouts.There are a number of industrial estates and a bus depot,just recently Asda opened a distribution centre so you get all sort of trucks,vans,juggernaughts coming and going,surly in this day and age they can sought out their fuel filler caps as there is always diesel spillages at nearly all the roundabouts leading up to the motorways.Is this a case of neglagance from the drivers or the company as this is a serious problem that can be devastating,surly a health and safty issue here,and why does`nt the ministry of transsport do something about it.

Take it easy out there

GSF K1
    Participant

Cos theyre too scared to confront the lorry industry.. they should be getting the blooming things off the roads and put the freight back on the railways!!! Open the roads up to bikes!!!

To “ERR” is natural.. to really fowl things up needs a politician!!

prezzo
    Participant

hear hear I totaly agree, and burn all mobile caravans

Paul

Dont forget to Donate !!!

delticman
    Participant

As a train driver, I totally agree with freight being put back onto the railways (even though I drive expresses, and often get held up by slower moving freight trains ahead of me, grrrr!).
    Re spillage, a diesel locomotive with a full tank of fuel will also leak out when at high speed on curves. I questioned this many years ago, and was told that by law(??) diesel fuel tanks had to have a spillage outlet because that type of fuel ‘expands’ due to being subjected to even slight heat such as say caused by sun shining onto the fuel tank. I have never, ever found out if this is indeed the case, so don’t quote me!
    I find that not only are lorries/trucks/wagons etc to blame for road spillage, also buses are real culprits too, especially in the early morning when they’ve just left their depot with a full tank of juice.

BLOOP!!! BLOOP!!! BLOOP!!!

Digger
    Participant

If thats the case were the fuel tank needs room to expand and have a spillage outlet,why not have a pipe attatched for overflow and expantion which goes into an expantion tank,collects the excess fuel thus enabeling the fuel to be used and there for being enviromentaly freindly.

Take it easy out there

barmy_carmy
    Participant

Speaking of diesel spills, when we was out on Saturday, the arse end of our bike slid on a diesel spill going round a hairpin bend, I am so glad Dave is an experienced rider! Its about time this government woke up to bikers, it is a fast growing industry and its about time they stopped discriminating People who ride bikes!

I’m not riding fast, I’m just flying low. and please DONATE to this website

imperialdata
    Keymaster

This forum helped the ‘kill spills’ campaign a while back. Their work is still going strong. Do a search on this site for ‘diesel’ or take a look at this post for more info.

Welcome along delticman, what do you ride?

delticman
    Participant

Thanx for the welcome!
    I have just posted some info in the ‘what do you ride’ section, under the topic title of D9001.

Radar

Welcome Deltic. Wot about a class 2 DMU???

Donate – Or Imperial Data will have you sorted!

Digger
    Participant

welcome delticman,its nice here …

Take it easy out there

delticman
    Participant

Bloody Hell Radar, I used to drive those old rattly DMU’s, were murder when wrong kind of leaves on the line, wheels used to slip like fook, and often fail to stop at stations (don’t blame the driver, lol!!!).

barmy_carmy
    Participant

Welcome Deltic, They are friendly lot here, looking forward to hearing from you.

I’m not riding fast, I’m just flying low. and please DONATE to this website

GSF K1
    Participant

Hiya Delticman… do you dream of steam????

Scouser
    Participant

On the way to work today, two seperate roundabouts were covered in diesel, you could smell it; thankfully I was in my car so no harm done, but I have done a 180 spin before in my car.

Be seen and be Safe!

GSF K1
    Participant

I went into a 4-wheel slide on a roundabout once cos of the bloody stuff… that made the botty-clinch!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.