Cosford – Last minute run on the Duke – Pics

Home Forums BikeMeet Cafe Cosford – Last minute run on the Duke – Pics

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Radar

I have not used my Duke since returning from Spain a couple of months ago, what biking I have done has been on the 600. So it was so good to riding the old beast again today. Thumper called me and persuaded me to meet him and his Mrs up at the RAF Museum Cosford near Telford.

I had a great run there and back; relatively quiet roads, great views and the sun on back..seventy totally pleasurable miles. I had forgotten just how good the Duke is to ride and just how glorious those carbon Termis sound! We met up at the Spiders Web cafe near Cosford, a charming little place that serves great food and well worth a visit

The itself museum was excellent as ever. Since my last visit back in 2010 a C-130 Hercules has been added to the collection along with a Nimrod. However the most notable addition is the German Dornier Do17 that was brought down in the Battle of Britain over 70 years ago. It crashed landed on water and the wreckage was recovered last year, so the poor old thing is not exactly pristine…it has to be constantly kept wet to prevent further corrosion…it is like an aviation version of the Mary Rose. By coincidence there was also a gathering of the Citroen XM owners club. Great place to visit and it is free to get in !! 

Cheers MrT fro dragging me out.

A few piccies from the day:

DSCN0108_zpsc8494d72.jpg
    Thumper and his lady wife

DSCN0099_zps2c923a1c.jpg
    Inside the Cold War Hall, Bloodhound and Vulcan, one of THREE V bombers in that hall

DSCN0095_zps967a2f48.jpg
    German WW2 V1 and V2 missiles

DSCN0089_zpsef38f66a.jpg
    Bolton Paul Sea Balioll…built in Wolverhampton and propelled by the same engine as the Spitfire and the Lancaster…the mighty V12, 27 litre Supercharged, Merlin

DSCN0086_zps3613883c.jpg
    Folland Gnat as used by the Red Arrows in the 1960’s and 1970’s

DSCN0084_zps06ec9aff.jpg
    The beautiful Comet…the first Jet liner

DSCN0060_zpsf7af29ac.jpg
    DSCN0052_zps339dfe4d.jpg
    Loads to see throughout the museum

DSCN0048_zpscb671187.jpg
    Some of the Dornier wreckage undergoing preservation

One of my earlier visits:

https://bikemeet.net/forums/topic/rideout-shatterford-mcc-3-5-2010-review-pics/.msg50537#msg50537

HippoDrones
    Participant

looks like a very interesting museum :-)

Radar

looks like a very interesting museum :-)

If you can make it during October it would be a good place to visit, good roads to get there too

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Impressive selection, the missiles are amazing.

Radar

Impressive selection, the missiles are amazing.

They have the most extensive collection of German WW2 missiles anywhere in the world. They were way ahead of us on the development of that kind of thing in the war

ses310

Gutted I couldn’t make it, looked a good day out

Radar

Gutted I couldn’t make it, looked a good day out

I am happy to go again to be honest.

ses310

Sounds good, will have to go another day then

TT07
    Participant

Let me know when, I might be able to get over too ☺

Radar

Looks like we have the beginnings of a plan!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.