CBR600 engine into CBR400?

Home Forums Motorcycle help wanted CBR600 engine into CBR400?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    matt parin
    Participant

ive seen a fair few Honda CBR400s on the net with CBR600 engines fitted.
    just wondering if anyone knows how easy this is to do?
    are the engines the same size with different bore sizes?
    if not would it require extensive welding to swap engines over?
    are the electrics similar or would the wiring harness need replacing too?
    my bikes an 89 CBR400 nc23 tri arm.
    cheers!

HippoDrones
    Participant

Think its a really tough fit tbh unless you are an engineer with all the kit. You would need the 600 loom and electrics, you’d need to upgrade the suspension and brakes and you’d prob end up with a bike with a strange cog. If you were gonna do it I’d be more inclined to go with a fireblade 900 engine coz either will be a pain but the fireblade engine would be a beast, you’d def need to brace up everything tho.

Unless you can do all the work yourself it will be very expensive to get done properly, much better off trading ya 400 for a 600 if its just coz you want more power.

Radar

quote:

Originally posted by Pete247

Think its a really tough fit tbh unless you are an engineer with all the kit. You would need the 600 loom and electrics, you’d need to upgrade the suspension and brakes and you’d prob end up with a bike with a strange cog. If you were gonna do it I’d be more inclined to go with a fireblade 900 engine coz either will be a pain but the fireblade engine would be a beast, you’d def need to brace up everything tho.

Unless you can do all the work yourself it will be very expensive to get done properly, much better off trading ya 400 for a 600 if its just coz you want more power.

Sound advice. Tidy CBR600s can be picked from a £1000 these days. Part of the charm of the CBR400 is how well the engine and frame work as a package. Bunging in a 600 lump would just upset that balnce. You might be able to liberate more power form the 400cc engine with a pipe and some careful jetting work on a dyno

Mr Parin
    Participant

ahh scrap that idea then!
    i assumed that seein a few with the 600 engines in meant they worked relatively well but hey not all ideas are good ideas haha!
    think a friend of mines got his quad booked in on a dyno next weekend so i may see if i cant get my bike down there too as hes told me its only £60 for an hours running on the dyno and tuning!
    cheers guys!

HippoDrones
    Participant

Do you have a jetting kit for your carbs? What can you running and are you on the std airbox/airfilter?

Mr Parin
    Participant

i havent been able to find a jet kit for it.
    the internet tells me that they dont make one for mine (nc23 tri arm) only the NC29 gull arm model?? are the bikes really so different?
    its the standard can although when i bought it, it looked like someone had attacked the baffle with a hole saw and removed most of it haha!
    i have now managed to get the last rusted chewed up remains of a baffle out of the can so its just a straight through pipe.
    im looking at a pipeworx can to replace it though.
    yeah std box and filter too.

Mr Parin
    Participant

..i have also just realized i seem to have two accounts!
    haha i think i may have made another when i forgot both my username and password but my two computers remember each different account everytime i come onto the site haha il have to get rid of one!

Radar

Removing the baffles could well affect fueling and jetting. Not sure about the differnces between NC23 and 29

Mr Parin
    Participant

as far as i was aware the only difference between the NC23 and NC29 was a slightly different shaped tail piece and the swingarms (gull arm/ tri-arm) im pretty sure the power output and engines are identical but then it makes me wonder why power commanders and jetting kits are only avaliable for the NC29 and it actually states “NOT FOR NC23” ??

HippoDrones
    Participant

is the NC29 fuel injected? or carbed?

Mr Parin
    Participant

the NC29 is carbed.
    my manual covers the NC23 and NC29 ind it does seem to show two diagrams of different carbs L,N,R models and J,K models.
    the L,N,R all being NC29 and the J,K being NC23.
    i seem to have found the difference between the two models but now i wonder is it possible to change my NC23 carbs for a set of NC29 carbs?

Radar

I dont know, but the carbs will have been matched to the bike carefully by Honda. The whole business of fuelling bikes is a delicate balance. I would stick with the carbs Honda intended…their engineers are pretty good you know (not as good as those from Yamaha though…)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.