Boys and Their Toys – Girls and Their Gadgets

Home Forums Product reviews Boys and Their Toys – Girls and Their Gadgets

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    TT07
    Participant

Bluetooth GPS Data Logger
    3200.jpg
    I’m sure that I am not on my own in keeping records on trips that I’ve done, and happened to ‘fall across’ one of these gadgets when trawling the net. Its a nice little device, and by little I mean it’s 60% the size of my mobile phone, this is what the manufacturers have to say about it:

eBon Technologies Inc would like to announce our newest BT GPS Logger which model no is DL-3200BT pro. The BT GPS Logger features an all in one, cost effective portable GPS logging solution. With its large on board memory, it allows you to log your route by setting the interval of time/distance/speed. Point of interest can also be recorded by push of button. Through user friendly utility , it shows your track on Google Earth.

This data logger is small and robust, ideal to carry everywhere for applications such as route tracking , keeping a watchful eye on shipment or vehicles.- Besides, tracking or watchful on shipment or vehicles, another application is the tourist can make photo by camera and with our data logger to put on their photos on “free” Google Earth
    software to show their wonderful vocation photo to share with their family or friends.

Another extend function is parents can use logger to protect their child, it can record all routes when they go to school, you can easy to control your child behavior.- Above all applications , you can through by “free” Google Earth (Map) software, don’t need any extra cost.- BTW, if you don’ t need Data Logger, DL-3200BT procan change to normal BT GPS Receiver , it is high performance 51 channels , -158dBm high sensitivity and quickly cold start (36 sec, average).- So if you buy our DL-3200BT pro, you can get multi-functions .- It is great business opportunity , pls don’t hesitate to contact with us.

Key Features
    #9679; With 16Mb memory for 170,000 way points record

#9679; Dual mode for both Data record and Navigation

#9679; Come up with a push button for recording data manually (Push to log)

#9679; User can record the data by setting the interval of time, distance and speed

#9679; The recorded data can be played as track on the Google Map

Applications
    #9679; Record your travels

#9679; Manage business trip expense

#9679; Raise fleet efficiency , reduce time spent at unauthorized locations

#9679; Keep an eye on valuable merchandise

#9679; Concerned about one’s driving behavior

#9679; Record point of interest by push button

Manufacturers Site
    https://www.ebontek.com/eBonTek_News.html

Basically what it does is record your time+distance+speed and allows you to save that data and incorporate it into your personal Google Earth Program, so in other words you can keep records of your trips or should I say ‘every single second of your trip’

One of my Typical Screen Shots (Location, Speed Etc)
    Each block is data for every second and every block can be read, this shows a segment of an outward and inward trip, hence two tracks
    Yarhampton.jpg

If you happen to have a Nokia S60 Series phone then one of their free programs :
    Nokia Sportstracker
    https://research.nokia.com/research/projects/SportsTracker/index.html Bluetooths with the Datalogger and gives live tracking into the phone, and when the data is saved again incorporates into your personal Google Earth Program

M42/M6 Intersection Loop
    M42-M6.jpg

The device does work when in your pocket, but for more accurate data its best used “In line of sight with satellites” and just like other Sat/Nav devices can get confused when its amongst high buildings. There are several other makes out there, and I guess they all work equally well, I have opted for one sourced through Ebay and a seller in this country (£50 inc. p&p), you can buy cheaper from abroad.

NOTE this review is for a BLUETOOTH GPS DATALOGGER, there are also available BLUETOOTH GPS MODULES which work with devices (Phones and PDA’S) using Sat/Nav Software and DO NOT record data!

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Gaaaaaaaadge!

Looks really good TT, especially with the Google Earth integration.

If it logs every second of your journey you can see where the fast points of your ride were. Don’t want to put a damper on things but I wonder how long it will be before they’re used in evidence against speeding vehicles?

TT07
    Participant

Functions I have yet to mention are, (I’ve set mine for one log per second) you can change that time to anything in the range 1-999 seconds, you can also choose to log over any distance in the range 10-9999 mtrs (as well as or in addition to the time logs), and also (again in addition or at the same time as the other two logs) you can select a speed within the range 10-999Kph (Its later converted to MPH), the last log when seen on the google map shows more distinctive red crosses when that speed is reached and surpassed.

Screen Shot of partial Route with Red Crosses
    RedCross.jpg

These crosses mean that you dont have to think back to where you remember bettering that speed and checking the box displays, they ARE EASILY picked out on Google Earth.

When running the program that came with the device the initial information is displayed in a grid, so if speed is the information you are interested in you just scroll down that column.

Program Screen

DataProgramScreen.jpg

Yes the technology in this kind of device could be the basis that the Government announced last year that could be introduced to charge us for the type of roads or zones we choose to ride in. Certainly BIG BROTHER stuff indeed, with the ability for them to monitor our every move!

imperialdata
    Keymaster

How are you getting on with this now TT? Still using it?

TT07
    Participant

Well have used the logger for close on 3 months now, Bike use has been limited to a couple of trial run outs, but it will be used on every occasion when I venture further than the local cafe at Quatford or Bewdley! Hopefully the weather will improve and those run outs will be just around the corner! I have used it on practically every Sunday during the last 3 months when out walking (188 miles so far) As I previously said close proximity to buildings can make the track wander somewhat (well I dont stagger about THAT much after a drink the night before) but regardless of the slight inaccuracies I do have recordings of all my tracks walked to date. As well as Nokia SportsTracker I do have Google Maps and Nokia Maps running on my Nokia S60 series N73 and have used the data logger with them both.

Anyway back to bike use, I see it as being a great way of recording your use, although I can see that MPH figures are pretty accurate when at cruising speeds BUT turning the wick up for a quick blast and the logged speeds do fall short by as much as 10mph so its no good for recording absolute maximums.

ID If you want to see an actual Google kml Bike Track send me your email address and I’ll reply with an attached file.

I’m glad I bought one [:)]

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.